Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

Re: Trouble with mouse overs?

Pinky -

Thanks for all the work you've been doing on th efree book thread!  I know it is extremely time consuming and I really appreciate it.  I am also very happy to see the thread back on track without as many OT posts of people bickering or complaining about something. :smileyvery-happy:

Tracy

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Thank you everyone!

Hi gang,

Everyone is very welcome for the hard work put into the "Free NookBook Summary Thread".  I was just trying to bring back a little bit of order to the thread that seemed to be spinning more and more out of control with each post.  It's not just me that has been making this work, but all of us working together posting the books we find.  It's great to see everyone excited about the thread again.

If you have suggestions about the lists, please send me a private message. I'm not saying I'll use all of the suggestions, lol, but I will do my best to make the list work for everyone.  If you would like the list emailed/messaged in a different format, please send me a private message and I'll do my best to accommodate your request.

I would like you all to know that I really appreciate the praises and Kudos, you guys really make me feel special:smileyhappy: it's nice to be appreciated.  Keeping with the topic (no OT) I have been sending private messages thanking people for their kind words instead of posting on the thread. This time around though I think a great big THANK YOU is in order.

Keep up the fantastic work everybody,

Would you like to borrow a book?  Just ask!

Click on the fairy to view my

"LendMe NOOKBook Lists"

Pinky

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Pink_Maiden wrote:

Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble with mouse overs on the "Free NookBook Summary Thread"?

Pinky

No, the mouse overs don't appear to be working at all. Hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just called B&N to see if they knew that there is a problem with the mouse-over feature, I HATE talking to their tech support department, they know NOTHING about tech support.

The idiot I had on the phone said that B&N was changing the website and didn't know if that feature would be put back.  Considering she didn't even know what the feature was I doubt she knew if it was going to be fixed/put back, I had to explain to her 5 times what the issue was, OMG!  

I asked her if I could please speak to someone in the web development area, the answer to that was no.  I told her I wanted to speak to someone about this issue, that the book club boards immensely rely on this feature.  She gave me the corporate office phone number in NY, I will call them tomorrow during business hours and hopefuly will get a reasonable response.

If anyone else would like to call them and tell them that we would like to have that feature back here is the number - 212-414-6000.

Pinky :smileywink:

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Okay, after many phone calls I finally reached the right person at B&N about the mouse-over issue.  The lady I spoke to said she would look into the matter and would email me an update on the situation once she speaks with the web development team.  I'll keep everyone up to date as the information comes in.

Pinky :smileywink:

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

I heard back from B&N today, here is the letter I received: 

Hi Pinky,

I heard back from the team. They are aware of the issue and say that the feature was removed as part of the new site launch. They have not yet re-incorporated it into the new design, however, there are definite plans to do so in the near future. My apologies that it is not immediately available, as I know it’s a really convenient feature – however, I’m happy to find out that it is coming back! I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

Regards,

Laverne

At least they know we would like to have the hover feature back, we just don't know when that change will take place.  Sorry gang, I tried :smileyhappy: 

Pinky

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

Question for Pinky on Today's 20 Free Classics Post

@Pinky:

I was originally going to post a reply to you on the Free NOOKBook thread, but then I decided it might be OT and moved my reply here.

This is really strange.  I had gotten all of the free B&N Classics when they did the promotion, and I keep a spreadsheet of all of the books on my NOOK, so I originally just downloaded today those I didn't already have.  When I saw your comment about the site allowing you to download again some of the books you already had, I looked at my spreadsheet (which also lists the ISBN-13 number).  The ISBN-13 numbers of the books on today's 20 free classics list all begin with 294, when last year's files all began with 978.  The 978 versions are showing as $3.99, yet the covers and descriptions on the site look identical.

I'm not where I can open both files on my NOOK to compare, but I would be interested in your comparing your previous version to the version newly free today and letting us know if they are identical.  Thanks in advance if you have time and can answer!

Distinguished Wordsmith
spec
0 Kudos

Re: Question for Pinky on Today's 20 Free Classics Post

First of all thanks Pinky for finding those - I like B&N classics a lot.

BrandieC: Similarly to you I thought I already had all those in my library as well. Typically when you add a book you already own (but dont keep track) the system will tell you that you already own it, EXCEPT when you moved the original ebook to archive then you are able to "buy" the book again to the main folder. Kind of weird. Perhaps the implication is also that you can loan it twice - once from archive once from main folder - I didnt test this.

978 is the proper prefix for eISBN. 294 I think is B&N's creation, I thought I saw someone say that 294 ebooks are not DRM'd but I didnt check it on my own.

Anyways I hope those newly free classics wont misteriously disappear from my library.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

spec wrote:

978 is the proper prefix for eISBN. 294 I think is B&N's creation, I thought I saw someone say that 294 ebooks are not DRM'd but I didnt check it on my own.

The 294 is used when the e-book doesn't have an ISBN. There's really no reason for an e-book to have an ISBN, since it's not something that's going to be back-ordered. Well, librarians might disagree, because some of them are accustomed to using ISBNs as title identifiers.

Amazon doesn't publish ISBN information on e-books; I doubt that their Kindle-format e-books even have ISBNs. For some reason, Apple and Sony require ISBNs on all e-books they carry, which is probably the main reason to get an ISBN for an e-book. The other reason is so that the sales will be tracked by Nielsen and Bowker — although if the sales aren't very good, you'd probably rather that they not be broadcast to the publishing world.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Is it possible the duplicates are in different format?  Please don't ask which ones (I don't have the patience to go through all of them), but I have some that aren't compatible with the NC.  They worked fine on my 3G/Wi-Fi nook but when I got my NC and tried to open a few of them it said the file format was not supported.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Answering question for Pinky on Today's 20 Free Classics Post

@ BrandieC,

I'm sorry, I wan't home today to be able to answer your question.  

I looked at both books and they seem to be the same book.  The only difference I see is the ones I had downloaded before were .pdb files and these are .epub.  I also think that it is just because of the ISBN number situation.

@ spec,

Thank you for the kudo's, but they do not go to me.   booklover128 found all of those great classics, I just compiled a list of them.

@ Doug,

Thanks for answering questions for everyone and helping out!

@ Nevermore1,

The books I downloaded the first time they were free are .pdb files and these seem to be .epub files.  Other than that they seem the same other than the ISBN numbers.

Have a good night everyone,

Pinky :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Question for Nooksters

Hi gang,

I have a question please, can everyone open B&N's .epub files in ADE or only in Nook programs.  I cannot open any of B&N's .epub files in ADE only Nook for Mac.  I didn't know if there was still an issue with Nook files and ADE or not.  I thought I would ask here first before I tried to find an answer on the boards, because everyone here is so helpful :smileyhappy:

Contributor
rcwidow
0 Kudos

Answering question for Pinky on Today's 20 Free Classics Post

I know several of these free classics are available for free when you download Nook Study. I don't know if that is why the ISBN numbers or formats are different.
Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Free Classics with Nook Study?

@ rcwidow,

I didn't get any free classics when I downloaded Nook Study.  I had to use that program for the longest time before they finally made one for Mac.

Pinky

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

Re: Question for Nooksters

Pink_Maiden wrote:

Hi gang,

I have a question please, can everyone open B&N's .epub files in ADE or only in Nook programs.  I cannot open any of B&N's .epub files in ADE only Nook for Mac.  I didn't know if there was still an issue with Nook files and ADE or not.  I thought I would ask here first before I tried to find an answer on the boards, because everyone here is so helpful :smileyhappy:

Pinky, I tried opening two in ADE on my Mac to test this and it did not work. I get an "unknown user" error. 

Frequent Contributor
Tammke
0 Kudos

Pink_Maiden wrote:

Hi gang,

ADE 1.7 will not open epubs with B&N DRM; however, there is a preview version of ADE 1.8 that is supposed to.  I haven't tried it though and I don't know if it works on Macs.  The preview version doesn't recongize attached ereaders yet, so you can't use it to transfer books from your computer to your ereader.

Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews
0 Kudos

Re: Answering question for Pinky on Today's 20 Free Classics Post

Pink_Maiden wrote:
The books I downloaded the first time they were free are .pdb files and these seem to be .epub files.  Other than that they seem the same other than the ISBN numbers.

Do you have a Mac? I think last year the Mac users still got .pdb files instead of .epub.  When I downloaded all of last year's B&N Classic Series freebies, they were .epubs.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

@ bga_reviews,

Yes, I do own a Mac.  I wan't sure if everyone else received .pdb files before, thanks for the clarification.

Pinky

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Tammke wrote:

ADE 1.7 will not open epubs with B&N DRM; however, there is a preview version of ADE 1.8 that is supposed to.  I haven't tried it though and I don't know if it works on Macs.  The preview version doesn't recongize attached ereaders yet, so you can't use it to transfer books from your computer to your ereader.

I called ADE and B&N, both are telling me that they are waiting on the other's contribution to complete the development.  Neither one seems to care if we can read B&N .epubs.  Maybe I'll have to get in touch with the young lady I called about the mouse-over/hover feature.  I'll shoot her an email and explain the situation and see if I can get some straight answers.  She was very nice and helpful with the mouse-over/hover issue.  I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Pinky

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

In the past they downloaded as pdb, and previously I had to switch to the Internet Explorer useragent from Safari to get epub's. However I noticed recently this changed, and now they download as epubs in Safari.

BTW one thing I don't care for about the new libary design is that it no longer shows the date purchased.