Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

The Official OT Free NOOKbook summary thread

OK, so here it is for anyone who wants to post anything related to any of the free books that are provided by all of the wonderful contributers in the  "Free NOOKbook summary thread - please no OT" thread.  This includes posts that:

• Thank posters for posting a free title
  • Clarify that a posted title is a Smashwords book
  • Provide a review of a posted title
  • Include any information other than identifying a free nook book

C'mon, let's keep Doug's thread just for the posting of free books, so that when we see a new post is available that we are assured that it is for a book and not someone's ramblings about something else.  If you need to provide any comment on anything posted there, kindly use this thread or start a separate one.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

Re: The Official OT Free NOOKbook summary thread

I didn't really think that creating this thread would keep unnecessary traffic off the fee nook book thread, but I was truly hopeful.  Alas and alak, it did not work and we continue to get OT posts made over there.

Oh well. I tried.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

Maybe try changing the title to something like "Free NOOKbook comments thread" or "Comments regarding the Free NOOKbook thread go here"?  When I just quickly glanced at the title I though this was a return of another Free NOOKbook thread that kind of got started a few months ago and was quickly killed since everyone wanted to keep using Doug's original thread.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

Good idea Nevermore1.  Does anyone know how to change a thread title?

Frequent Contributor
yahma

I have actually taken my free book search elsewhere because of the negativity on these boards (although I do check in occasionally just to see if I've missed anything). I'm very sad that this has happened because I liked the initial premise of Doug's thread, his publisher lists and his helpfulness. I guess just miss Doug!!

Anyway, I now go to cheap ereads. Yes, they do have some smashwords titles there, but nobody seems to get testy about it. It's a nice group of thankful readers.

My philosophy is, it's free!! what's the complaint? If you don't like the book, you haven't wasted any money, just a bit of time to figure out it's not your cup of tea. (I waste much less time now actually, than going to a brick and mortar store reading inside flaps and back covers)!!

Well, happy searching. BTW...I don't know how to change a thread title. I'll bet Doug would...

Yahma

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

Finally!  After 6 OT posts a free book post was made on the free nook book thread.

Thank you KirstyHaining.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

Finally!  After 6 OT posts a free book post was made on the free nook book thread.

The thread has been useless for months now.  Why bother?

Contributor
Twinz_Mom
0 Kudos

Oh well for wishfull thinking!

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

beeyebickiebuy, thanks for the suggestions. If you could just get people to follow those, it would continue to be a great thread. Unfortunately, so many OT posts have pretty much ruined that thread, and new people posting don't bother to read the previous comments to check out the flavor of the thread before posting. 

Maybe it's time to start a new thread with these specific requests at the top?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

javabird wrote:

They're all at the top of the last one.

I agree that that thread is useless and ruined - evidenced by my current participation in the OT - but I don't know if we'll have any more luck with a new thread.

The people who want to post the Smashwords freebies are going to do it, even if they're asked not to.  The people who want to review the books in the thread - not when posting, but days later - are still going to.  Those who want to complain about a corrupted download aren't going to create a new post.  They're going to do it in the new thread, too.  EVENTUALLY.

A new thread has a shot at staying useful for a while.  Maybe that's what we do.  Start a new thread, and when it gets FUBARed, ask a Mod to lock it and start another new one?

Maybe the clarification in the current one will help people stay on topic in a new one?

Wordsmith
swan480

yahma wrote:

I have actually taken my free book search elsewhere because of the negativity on these boards (although I do check in occasionally just to see if I've missed anything).

I agree about the negativity.  I actually find the constant complaining about OT and Smashwords posts far more disruptive than the posts themselves.  It doesn't take that long to scroll past a post you don't want to read or decide whether a free ebook is something you're interested in -- surely nowhere near as long as it takes to post a complaint -- but the negativity really gets to me some days.  I still check the thread almost daily, though, especially at the beginning of the month -- I figure getting free ebooks is worth overlooking a little whining now and then!

By the way, I follow Cheap e-Reads on Facebook, too, and find out about a lot of good books from them.  I love that they note when a book has excellent ratings, or what the usual price is if the book is on sale.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

It sure doesn't take much to start an argument on this board. Sorry for posting The Light Horseman's Daughter in the Free NookBooks thread for those who found it offensive.

Doug's original post said he wasn't going to list Smashword titles because of the volume. It never occurred to me that etiquette demanded no one ever post Smashword titles there.

I didn't give any thought to who the current publisher is nor do I even care. I was looking for historical fiction and found the book free at Amazon. It is not free at most other sites. Another of the author's books is free at Amazon and Sony but not at B&N.

Because it was originally from an Australian publisher and probably not widely available here and because most Americans are not familiar with Australian history, I thought it was worth mentioning. I guess not.

In the future I'll leave that thread to others out of fear of ruining someone else's day.

Wordsmith
swan480

gstone, don't be discouraged, please!  I swear to you that some of us DO appreciate your posting this book.  :smileyhappy:  In fact, I'd love to know what other book by the same author you found free at Sony -- and when?  I don't see any others listed for free there right now.  Too bad -- looks like he has some good stuff.

Doug said in his very first post that if people wanted to post Smashwords posts, they could.  I really don't get why others have gotten so proprietary and uptight about the thread.  It reminds me of the folks who post negative reviews on Free Friday books because they don't like the selection.  I mean, others are spending their own time to find free ebooks for everyone, and all some people can do is complain that this free service isn't up to their standards!

Frequent Contributor
jesla
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

It sure doesn't take much to start an argument on this board.

Because it was originally from an Australian publisher and probably not widely available here and because most Americans are not familiar with Australian history, I thought it was worth mentioning. I guess not.

In the future I'll leave that thread to others out of fear of ruining someone else's day.

gstone, I appreciated the post and have downloaded the book  because it sounds interesting to me.

It was not my intention to "argue"  but rather to clarify.  I'm sorry if my comments only made things worse. Please do not let  the negativity of some of us prevent you from posting.

Inspired Contributor
asnow4sure

Didn't know if ya'll knew it or not but Smashwords is having some kind of "sale". You can click the code with the 100% and find the books that authors have offered for FREE. Grab them if they look good then delete if not....nothing lost.

I have a FB group called Nook and Kindle Deals where we post Free stuff and any kind of deals we can find. We would love it if you guys came over and joined us. No bickering and everyone gets along. April from Cheap Ereads and Kristy Haining is in our group too.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

javabird wrote:

beeyebickiebuy, thanks for the suggestions. If you could just get people to follow those, it would continue to be a great thread. Unfortunately, so many OT posts have pretty much ruined that thread, and new people posting don't bother to read the previous comments to check out the flavor of the thread before posting. 

Yes, you are right.  This morning I was optimistic that there would be 11 or more free books posted there, but nine of the posts were OT.  

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Frankly, I am more annoyed by all the people complaining about Smashwords titles and then explaining why people should use "the other thread" than I am by people discussing the free titles.  Discussion of the free titles - or why certain genres are offered more than others -- is relatively on topic.  It's like someone getting up and screaming in the middle of a play because a few people are whispering behind him/her.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Frequent Contributor
_deb_
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

The thread has been useless for months now.  Why bother?

While I know we definitely do not speak for all.....I agree with you.  It is just not as beneficial to me as it once was. 

Hope to see you later at...

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

Frankly, I am more annoyed by all the people complaining about Smashwords titles and then explaining why people should use "the other thread" than I am by people discussing the free titles.  Discussion of the free titles - or why certain genres are offered more than others -- is relatively on topic.  It's like someone getting up and screaming in the middle of a play because a few people are whispering behind him/her.

See, the problem with laurels is you can only give one per post.  If it were a star rating system, I would have given you 5 for this.  I completely agree with you.

Distinguished Correspondent
yellowrosetx