Contributor
Gabriel32

The reason my nook is collecting dust on my bookshelf.

Went out and did some shopping today at Half Price Books:

• Red Mutiny: eBook $9.99 paperback $5.98
  • Blood and Thunder: eBook $12.99  paperback $5.98
  • The End of an Empire: eBook $9.99 hardback $7.98
  • Gulag: eBook $14.99 paperback $5.98
  • The Bounty: eBook $13.99 hardback $7.98

Total eBook price: $61.95

Total DTB price: $33.90

Total savings:  $28.05 -----That's two tanks of gas for my motorcycle.

Okay just so I don't seem biased.  Weight of nook: 12.1 oz.  Weight of books: approx. 6 pounds.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT

Re: The reason my nook is collecting dust on my bookshelf.

[ Edited ]

45 eBooks read from the library since the beginning of December, total cost 0.00.

200 eBooks from B&N in the same time period, $45.00 spent.

I still think I am way ahead of the game.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
IslandAway

congratulations on snagging some good deals.  In my case, I enjoy the freedom of only having to "tote" the nook and have access to my books easily.  I watch for "freebies" and sales and have picked up some that I otherwise wouldn't have spent the $$$ on if purchasing a DTB and ventured out of my compfort zone.

I comb the free books daily and always have plenty on hand in my "next to read" shelf. 

Frequent Contributor
mjordannm
0 Kudos

I keep a log.  Since last July I have read 129 public library books.  Cost $15.    I have downloaded 363 mostly free B&N books.  Total cost $77.  I admit that I have been so busy reading library books that I haven't had time to read the freebies.  It looks like many great authors are in the B&N section.

If you don't want to investigate the public libraries, that is your choice.  I have saved lots with my Nook.  . 

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb

The NOOK is certainly not for everyone.  In fact, it's one of those things I'd hesitate to give as a gift unless the receiver is aware of the cost of books (sort of like giving a puppy as a gift).

To some people, the money you save is inconsequential due to things like time, space, convenience.  I try to get what I can from the public libraries, and hunt for bargains.  I do read an occasional DTB, but I love the handling of the NOOK.

To each his own.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528

Gabriel32 wrote:

Went out and did some shopping today at Half Price Books:

• Red Mutiny: eBook $9.99 paperback $5.98
  • Blood and Thunder: eBook $12.99  paperback $5.98
  • The End of an Empire: eBook $9.99 hardback $7.98
  • Gulag: eBook $14.99 paperback $5.98
  • The Bounty: eBook $13.99 hardback $7.98

Total eBook price: $61.95

Total DTB price: $33.90

Total savings:  $28.05 -----That's two tanks of gas for my motorcycle.

Okay just so I don't seem biased.  Weight of nook: 12.1 oz.  Weight of books: approx. 6 pounds.

If you purchased your Nook primarily to save money then you are going to be disappointed.  If you bought your Nook for convenience and still aren't happy that's another story altogether.    I will gladly send you the $56.10 to double your difference in price if you send me your Nook though... :smileywink:  I can give it a better home than your bookshelf.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite

If you purchased your Nook primarily to save money then you are going to be disappointed.  If you bought your Nook for convenience and still aren't happy that's another story

I totally agree....I bought my Nook thinking that MAYBE I might save money but my big issue was convenience. I love the fact that I can sit on my over an hour subway ride, then sit through my day at work with a few stolen moments to read in such a light, convenient way.

I love mine, and if you asked my hubby I'm a little obsessed with it. :smileywink:

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Seeing someone standing and reading a Kindle on a crowded subway summer before last got me thinking about an e-reader.  She could not have been reading a DTB so effectively. 

By the time I took action, the NOOK was about to come out, so I had to do more comparing.

New User
Kelsey22
0 Kudos

I love my nook, but the biggest problem that I have is that I love to read series. I have tons of hard copies on my book shelves with up to thirteen books in some series with books still coming out. I like to reread my series a lot, especially when a new book is coming out, but it is hard to carry so many books around and my nook and making that transition. I wish there was a way that you could exchange you hard copies for nook copies. I would enjoy having all of my series in the same format, but I cant afford to buy 50 plus ebooks just to have my series in one place. This actually discourages me from ebooks steers me towards getting the hard copies. I wish I had considered this before I bought my nook, most of the nookbooks I read are cheaper and I would prefer to have the ebook, but I do want to have a complete series in one location so I usually end up buying the hardcopy from another source other than B&N where I can get the book cheaper.

Correspondent
illmunkeys

I've saved a ton of money w/ my Nook.  My rule of thumb:  keep the search to 9.99 or less.

If its still only in hardback, I will purchase @ my maximum.  If its released in paperback, I usually won't consider it for more than 5.99 unless its a book I really want, then I'll raise it to 7.  I always check the library first.

If the book is a "republished" eBook of a book from years and years ago, I don't buy them unless they reach the 5.99 level.  Sorry, I'm not purchasing a 9.99 novel from 20 years ago just because it is the first eBook edition.  I can probably go to a used bookstore and find it for 2 bucks.

Contributor
Gabriel32

That's the problem. I had about 30 ebooks on my ewish list all under $9.99 but all the prices went up recently. If the paperback is cheaper than the ebook that's a no brainer. I don't mind carrying around a little more weight if my wallet is fatter. Plus I focus on one book at a time. I probably don't carry more than two books at any given time. Sure it's cool to carry 2000+ books but really?
AlanNJ

Gabriel32 wrote:
That's the problem. I had about 30 ebooks on my ewish list all under $9.99 but all the prices went up recently. If the paperback is cheaper than the ebook that's a no brainer. I don't mind carrying around a little more weight if my wallet is fatter. Plus I focus on one book at a time. I probably don't carry more than two books at any given time. Sure it's cool to carry 2000+ books but really?

Once again, if you purchased your Nook primarily to save money on books then you'll most likely be disappointed.  I haven't read a DTB since getting my Nook a year ago.  So yes it's a no-brainer for you but definitely not for me if price is your primary consideration.  I won't consider getting rid of my Nook (or whatever the next version of e-reader is).

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Gabriel32 wrote:

DTBs wouldn't work for me, since I read about 6-8 at a time. I don't want to be lugging that many DTBs around. For me, the ebook is worth more than the DTB.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Okay,

To those of you out there that would rather have hard copies of books AlanNJ and I (Pink_Maiden) would love to give your nooks a good home.  We promise to love and care for it and keep it full of ebooks.  I would even promise to read it daily, how about you AlanNJ ?

Pinky

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Pink_Maiden wrote:

Okay,

To those of you out there that would rather have hard copies of books AlanNJ and I (Pink_Maiden) would love to give your nooks a good home.  We promise to love and care for it and keep it full of ebooks.  I would even promise to read it daily, how about you AlanNJ ?

Pinky

Heck, I'll even pay shipping costs to get the Nook here!  :smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Pink_Maiden wrote:

Okay,

Pinky

I'll adopt a few myself. I love my nook.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

As has been stated, do not buy a nook (kindle, Sony) if you think you'll save lots of money.  You probably won't.  I don't even think they make good gifts unless the receiver is aware of this. 

The libraries do help, though!  I have three library cards to various larger libraries in my state and I do use them! 

I got one for the sheer convenience of having books in one place.  I still read a DTB occasionally but it's usually a reread - something I have on the shelf already.

Having a nook has introduced me to a lot more authors, though.  Before, I'd look at a book and put it back think that if I didn't like the book it would be taking up space at home.

I probably do about 90 - 95% of my reading on my nook.

blemons

I am hopefully getting a Nook - soon.

One of the reasons I was drawn to an e-reader is that when I travel (not ALL that frequently, but on occasion) reading is a good way to pass the time - but I would have to bring a handful of books along, because I generally can do quite a bit of it on the trip.  So I like the fact of not having to carry 4-6 books - I can just carry my e-reader with as much material as I would like.

Also, while I may not save money on some of the particular books I would like to read - I have already collected quite a large selection of free ebooks to try out.  Maybe I'll find a new author I like or even a new genre - who knows.... maybe I won't like some but hey - they were free - so I'll just delete them.

If there's a book I really want and the ebook is either too expensive or more expensive than the paperback or hardcopy - then I will just decide whether I want to spend the extra money on the ebook - for convenience - or if I want to purchase the DTB.  Or I can see if it's in the library (ebook or dtb).

That's another thing that drew me to the Nook, specifically (hopefully it doesn't change too drastically in the near future, as there have already been discussions and even some changes around it) - is getting ebooks from the libary - and saving the trip there, remembering to return it, late fees, etc.  I don't feel a need to hang onto every book I ever read (although there may be some I want to keep - whether in ebook or dtb format).

So, aside from saving money (which may or may not happen, depending on your reading preferences and whether you're willing to make adjustments), there are a lot of other good reasons (as others have also stated) to get either an e-reader in general or, in some cases, a Nook, specifically.

Overall, I think it will make it easier, more convenient (and maybe cheaper, but maybe not) for me to read and hopefully I can do so more often.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb

If you haven't already, download any of those free Friday books that look interesting to you.  They can sit in your account until you get your nook.  Also, start looking at libraries in your state that have e-books and are free (or almost).  That will put you a step ahead of using the libraries.

blemons
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes, I have already checked into the libraries in the state - and do have at least one I can get ebooks from - maybe more, I'll have to find out exactly what their policy on that, is - exactly how to go about it.  I believe they do have reciprocity, though, with a library card from other libraries in the state.

And I have downloaded many free Friday and other free ebooks from Doug's thread - and even some of the classics when they were free last summer!

So even if I only read/enjoy 1/4 - 1/2 of the books I have - I should be set for awhile.  But I'm not stopping now!....