New User
Castsashadow
0 Kudos

Re: The reason my nook is collecting dust on my bookshelf.

The reason mine is collecting dust is selection.  I received the Nook from my wife for Christmas.  Price is not the issue for me, selection is.  I wanted it for convenience, not to save money.  I read a lot of self-help and spiritual kind of books.  The fact is, there are very few of these kinds of ebooks available for the Nook.  When I search for these books on Amazon, there is usually a Kindle version available.  I am getting fed up.  My wife is upset to see me disappointed too, since she was pretty proud of the gift in the first place.  I may abandon the Nook soon, maybe pass it down to my wife.  She is happy to read all those vampire romance series, which seem available in nook book format.  A Kindle seems to be the better choice for me considering the selection that is available for the Nook. 

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Hi Castsashadow & blemons,

I sent you a private message with links for places to look for ebooks.  Just thought it might give you some other options for ebooks so you can take your Nook off of the shelf.

Pinky :smileyhappy:

Reader 4
Catkraft1

Another great reason to own a Nook is that we are helping the environment.   I read a ton and the Nook has kept me from filling my home shelves with books my son would have to fill a land fill with when I am gone.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

Catkraft1 wrote:

Another great reason to own a Nook is that we are helping the environment.   I read a ton and the Nook has kept me from filling my home shelves with books my son would have to fill a land fill with when I am gone.

I don't believe that's completely true.  Is the Nook itself biodegradable?  What about the power it uses and the battery use?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

gqb wrote:

As has been stated, do not buy a nook (kindle, Sony) if you think you'll save lots of money.  You probably won't. 

It all depends on how you calculate "saving money." If you mean on a per book basis, and believe the general misconception that "all books are cheaper as ebooks," then, no, you probably won't.

Several months back (around September) when I had my NOOK for about 8 months, I calculated what I felt I had "saved" by buying my NOOK. Other than shelf space. :smileywink:

Between promotional free books and the difference between the eBook selling price and the comparable DTB list price, the NOOK had paid for itself and then some. In fact, at that time I was several hundred dollars ahead. And this doesn't count all the books that are free all the time and not just as short-time promotions.

Certain aspects of the NOOKs value are perceived, not inherent. For me, and your mileage may vary, it has been an exceptional value for the money.

Just my 2 cents.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

gqb wrote:

As has been stated, do not buy a nook (kindle, Sony) if you think you'll save lots of money.  You probably won't. 

It all depends on how you calculate "saving money." If you mean on a per book basis, and believe the general misconception that "all books are cheaper as ebooks," then, no, you probably won't.

Several months back (around September) when I had my NOOK for about 8 months, I calculated what I felt I had "saved" by buying my NOOK. Other than shelf space. :smileywink:

Between promotional free books and the difference between the eBook selling price and the comparable DTB list price, the NOOK had paid for itself and then some. In fact, at that time I was several hundred dollars ahead. And this doesn't count all the books that are free all the time and not just as short-time promotions.

Certain aspects of the NOOKs value are perceived, not inherent. For me, and your mileage may vary, it has been an exceptional value for the money.

Just my 2 cents.

It also saves me tons of money in spur of the moment bookstore purchases. I used to buy books that caught my interest while browsing through B&N or my local bookstore. Now I see the cool books I want to buy and think, "Wait, I'll buy the ebook so I can read it on my nook, " instead of buying them right on the spot. Then, I promptly forget about the books I wanted to buy! :smileyvery-happy: Of course, not everyone has my terrible memory. I do sometimes jot down the tiltes to purchase later and then forget to check my little notebook. Of course, this method doesn't work as well when I remember that I'm at BN and have my nook with me and can buy the ebook right then and there. :smileytongue: SO my method does have flaws. My local bookstore does partner with the google bookstore so I don't feel too bad that they're missing out since if they have it there I will try to buy through them, plus I do still buy lots of kids books and magazines in the bookstore when I have the money.

Fran

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

frantastk wrote:

It also saves me tons of money in spur of the moment bookstore purchases. I used to buy books that caught my interest while browsing through B&N or my local bookstore. Now I see the cool books I want to buy and think, "Wait, I'll buy the ebook so I can read it on my nook, " instead of buying them right on the spot. Then, I promptly forget about the books I wanted to buy! :smileyvery-happy: Of course, not everyone has my terrible memory. I do sometimes jot down the tiltes to purchase later and then forget to check my little notebook. Of course, this method doesn't work as well when I remember that I'm at BN and have my nook with me and can buy the ebook right then and there. :smileytongue: SO my method does have flaws. My local bookstore does partner with the google bookstore so I don't feel too bad that they're missing out since if they have it there I will try to buy through them, plus I do still buy lots of kids books and magazines in the bookstore when I have the money.

Fran

I've found this also, and here's my solution.  I take my Nook with me to the store, and books I see that I would like to buy, I put in my B&N wishlist, that way I don't lose the paper or forget to look at it, I look at my wishlist generally, when I buy any books, unless it's a specific book that I want.

Contributor
Gabriel32
0 Kudos

Outside the classics you get what you pay for and quality literature costs money.  And in this day and age why spend more money than necessary?  No brainer for me. 

Scribe
03FLHT2

Actually thats not quite true in the book world.  Its becoming a real shame the amount of money they are charging for all those lame Vampire/Paranormal books.  Seems like every wana be writer has jumped on that bandwagon.  Don't expect any of those to be around for the next hundered years.  In fact very few books if any, being released today will stand up to time.  JMHO

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Gabriel32 wrote:

Outside the classics you get what you pay for and quality literature costs money.  And in this day and age why spend more money than necessary?  No brainer for me. 

That is generally true,  but there are some expensive books which are horrible, and some $0.99 books which are very engrossing.

Inspired Contributor
jlg881
0 Kudos

I am with IslandAway.  My husband and I travel a lot more now and he got me my Nook as he got tired of the weight of my books for each trip.  I also watch for the "freebies" and sales so I have a lot of books available to me when we go and I carry them in one hand instead of having a piece of luggage just for my reading material.  So we got it more for the convience.  Hey you also don't have to hold on to your book with both hands when it is windy on the cruise ship!

Reader 2
geekbabe
0 Kudos

As a child & young adult I was an avid reader. Having kids, a demanding job & the rise of computers cut way down on my reading. Now that I have my Nook Color, I'm back, enjoying the pleasure of reading again! It's totally blissful to have an entire library in my messenger bag, at the ready anytime I've got a few minutes to read!

Reader 4
chipsanddip

Well occasionally you might find the Nook does save money.

Awhile back all the Kaplan SAT, and subject review test books were free and I have 2 high school kids for whom those books were going to be purchased.

In that case the Nooks paid for themselves twice over.

Frequent Contributor
DrDetroit
0 Kudos

I am less enthusiastic about my nook, or any ereader for that matter, because of the recent 30-50% price hike on many of the ebooks I'm interested in. As a result, I'm drastically cutting back on the amount I'm spending on ebooks.

My solution:

free ebooks and DTB from the library and reading ebooks for an hour instore.

Check out overdrive.com to find great library books to check out for free near you!

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Hi,

DrDetroit, how come there has been a major increase in ebook prices?  Do you know why?

Pinky

Frequent Contributor
DrDetroit

My guess would be they are cashing in on the popularity of ereaders and making hay. I've bought ebooks since the introduction of the nook when everything was pretty much $9.99 or under, including new releases. Now, new releases have jumped up to $14.99 and higher for noted authors, and backlist paperback titles have gone through the roof.

I have a wishlist of over 700 books on my nookcolor, but interestingly, the old prices are stored, and price increases aren't reflected until you try to buy the title. I listed several examples of books I was about to buy on a different post. They had gone from 8 or 9 and change up to almost the price of the trade paper dtb.They're also bumping up the prices of magazines. I subscribed to Mens' Fitness, but cancelled after I found out (no, I didn't get notified) that the price had gone up by 50%.

Sorry, but dtb msrp reflect the need to price in a profit for the publisher, writer, wholesaler, retailer and need for equipment and physical storage space and shipping. With ebooks, you cut out the wholesalers completely, there's no shipping, no print runs whatsoever, no warehouses, and you can store your whole catalogue pretty much on a portable hard drive.

I don't expect books to be free, everyone has to eat, but when you jack up prices they way they have been, I feel gouged.

But that's okay. I went to the public library, checked out 10 ebooks for free and borrowed a year's worth of Popular Photography magazines. (I had considered subscribing, but not now)  I've bought many ebooks, but am cutting back drastically and only buying selectively. Barnes and Noble and the publishers have the right to ask top dollar, but I also have the right to say no.

Distinguished Correspondent
KennaS
0 Kudos

Id like to know as well. Im sure that there is a logical explanation :smileywink: as to why. Though my uneducated eyeballs, it seems that it would be cheaper to "make" an eBook than a DT book because of less things being involved. 

DTB

1. An author writes the book = $

2. The author mails the book to the publisher=$

3. Editing, send back and fourth numerous times=$

4. Paper, binding materials and ink= $

5. Final draft goes to press and is shipped= $

6. Customer purchases book = +$

Ebook

1. Author writes the book=$

2. Email back and fourth through the editing process = $

3. Final draft is put out in the eBook store = + $ 

I am fully aware that I am oversimplifying the process but Im sure that you get my point. Im not begrudging anyone to make money but I would like to know if it is actually cheaper to do an eBook than a DT book. Seems like it would be and the savings could be passed along to encourage people to buy the books instead of heavily relying on free books. (as my broke self does)

On a side note back to the main topic: Having had the free Friday books and free books from other places, I have to say that my nook has paid for itself. I read on average a book every two days. $7.99 x 10= $79.99 in savings per month X 12= $959.88 per year. Im just sayin'. I also use my nookcolor for web browsing, weather updates and SOMETIMES even as a flashlight. Flashlight function is priceless in itself.  

God changes appearances every second. Blessed is the man who can recognize him in all his disguises. One moment he is a glass of fresh water, the next, your son bouncing on your knees or an enchanting woman, or perhaps merely a morning walk.-Nikos Kazantzakis
Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram

eBook prices jumped up in price around April of 2010 when Agency pricing went into effect.  The more recent surge in pricing you may have noticed would have been with Random House (and family) books.  RH had been the lone hold out on using the Agency pricing model until March of this year.