Author
dave-zeltserman
0 Kudos

Two award-winning Julius Katz Mysteries for $0.99

[ Edited ]

Julius Katz Mysteries

I've made available my two award-winning Julius Katz mysteries for $0.99.  'Julius Katz' was first published in Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine in 2009, won the Shamus Award from the Private Eye Writers of America for best story and the Derringer Award from the Short Mystery Fiction Society for best mystery novelette. This story introduces Boston's most brilliant, eccentric, and possibly laziest detective, Julius Katz, as well as his sidekick, Archie--a tiny whizbang piece of computer technology with the heart and soul of a hard-boiled PI, and Archie is the one who narrates the story. The second Julius Katz story was published in 2010 in Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine and won first place in Ellery Queen's Readers Choice Awards. This story does indeed have the little guy, Archie, framed--in this case for murder, and Julius has to use all his wits and brilliance to keep his assistant out of the slammer!

These are charming, fun mysteries, suitable for all ages and all readers, and now's your chance to discover them for $0.99!

Learn more about Small Crimes.

Discover all Dave Zeltserman titles.
Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

Re: Two award-winning Julius Katz Mysteries for $0.99

Thanks, Dave!

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

I actually just purchased these stories.  As an Ellery Queen subscriber for over 20 years (now on the Nook) I just couldn't resist.  I have most likely read these stories in their original form in EQ Magazine but I did read online that one story was edited from its original form.  For $.99 I'm happy to make a "mistake"... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Author
dave-zeltserman
0 Kudos

Alan, thanks. The first story (Julius Katz) was originally 19,000 words long, and I had to cut out around 1400 words from what was published in Ellery Queen--not due to story considerations, but purely for space considerations. The version included here as the original scene that was cut  restored, plus all of Ellery Queen's original fine edits.

More Julius Katz stories will be appearing, and I recently finished the first Julius Katz and Archie novel.

--Dave

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Dave,

Just wanted you to know I finally got around to reading these.  I did recall reading the first one in Ellery Queen.  They are excellent stories and I highly recommend them.  I am looking forward to the new ones.

Thanks.

By the way, I've read excellent reviews for Outsourced but see that it's not available as an e-book.  Can anything be done to change that?

Author
dave-zeltserman
0 Kudos

Hi Alan, thanks. The latest is being bought now by Ellery Queen, so I'm guessing it will be out near the end of the year. And the Julius Katz novel is out now on submission--so with some luck that will be bought soon also.

Outsourced is being published by Serpent's Tail, and they're putting out the e-book also, so I have no control over that. Does the Nook have a Kindle app? If it does you can get the Outsourced e-book now from those other folks whose name will not be mentioned!!

Blood Crimes is out now as an original e-book. It's very different than my Julius Katz Mysteries. Very noir, very high octane, very violent, but if you like crime & horror, it's a book readers are really enjoying, and is available for the Nook. Here's the latest review for it:

http://pdbrazill.blogspot.com/2011/02/blood-crimes-by-dave-zeltserman.html

All the other reviews and reader comment have been similarly enthusiastic--but again, it's almost the polar opposite to Julius Katz.

--Dave

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dave-zeltserman wrote:

Outsourced is being published by Serpent's Tail, and they're putting out the e-book also, so I have no control over that. Does the Nook have a Kindle app? If it does you can get the Outsourced e-book now from those other folks whose name will not be mentioned!!

Blood Crimes is out now as an original e-book. It's very different than my Julius Katz Mysteries. Very noir, very high octane, very violent, but if you like crime & horror, it's a book readers are really enjoying, and is available for the Nook. Here's the latest review for it:

http://pdbrazill.blogspot.com/2011/02/blood-crimes-by-dave-zeltserman.html

--Dave

Dave,

I seriously doubt if a Nook will EVER be able to read a Kindle book as B&N and Amazon are MAJOR competitors in the e-book market and are incompatible with each other on purpose.

Hopefully Outsourced will come out on the Nook.  I figured if I spoke to the author directly maybe it would do some good... :smileywink:

As far as Bloodcrimes is concerned it almost sounds like it's very similar to Charlie Huston (who I enjoy very much).  I'll probably check this one out.

Thanks.!

Author
dave-zeltserman
0 Kudos

Alan, I'd probably have more luck clearing the 3 inches of ice on my driveway with my cheap shovel than I would convincing Serpent's Tail on any of their e-book marketing decisions! I heard from one fan who bought an e-pub version of Outsourced elsewhere, but then ran into trouble loading it on his Nook. Maybe it's an easy thing to do, I don't know.

Blood Crimes is very different than Huston's series. I liked Huston's Caught Stealing a lot, but avoided his vampire books since I didn't want to accidentally borrow from them (I had my Blood Crimes series in mind for years). I heard from a few of Huston's fan who read Blood Crimes, and the way they describe it is Blood Crimes is a gritty crime noir novel with vampires while Huston's books are more horror books with a hardboiled PI.

--Dave

Author
dave-zeltserman
0 Kudos

I have a new look for Julius. The way the cover is now is now is how I always envisioned Julius.

Julius Katz Mysteries

Also,the 2010 Ellery Queen's Readers Choice Winners have been announced:

1. Dave Zeltserman, “Archie’s Been Framed” (September/October)
2. Doug Allyn, “The Scent of Lilacs” (September/October)
3. Doug Allyn, “Days of Rage” (March/April)
4. Lee Goldberg, “Mr. Monk and the Seventeen Steps” (December)
5. Brendan DuBois, “To Kill an Ump” (September/October)
6. Clark Howard, “Winter’s End” (December)
7. Clark Howard, “Last Dance in Shanghai” (June)
8. Evan Lewis, “Skyler Hobbs and the Rabbit Man” (February)
9. Stephen Ross, “The Man with One Eye” (December)
10. Carol Biederman, “The Changelings: A Very Grim Fairytale” (November)

So not only for $0.99 can you read last year's Shamus and Derringer Award winner (Julius Katz), but also the story that Ellery Queen's readers picked as their favorite last year. The price will be going up to $2.99 May 1st.