Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

WARNING: The One I Left Behind

Today's Kindle Daily Deal is The One I Left Behind, by Jennifer McMahon.  It looked interesting, so I came over to B&N to see if the price was the same for the NOOKbook.  Both the search page and the product page showed the $1.99 price, as did the "confirm your purchase" pop-up when I bought the ebook.  However, my credit card was charged $9.68.  After an hour on the phone, including two transfers to regional management, I got them to refund the $7.69 overage, but while I was on hold, I conducted an interesting experiment.  I kept refreshing the search page for this ebook on B&N, and the price literally bounced from $1.99 to $9.68 every 15 seconds or so.

The regional manager is allegedly notifying upper management of the problem with this ebook's price, but if you are interested in it and have a Kindle or the Kindle app, I suggest you purchase it from Amazon instead.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Re: WARNING: The One I Left Behind

BrandieC wrote:

Today's Kindle Daily Deal is The One I Left Behind, by Jennifer McMahon.  It looked interesting, so I came over to B&N to see if the price was the same for the NOOKbook.  Both the search page and the product page showed the $1.99 price, as did the "confirm your purchase" pop-up when I bought the ebook.  However, my credit card was charged $9.68.  After an hour on the phone, including two transfers to regional management, I got them to refund the $7.69 overage, but while I was on hold, I conducted an interesting experiment.  I kept refreshing the search page for this ebook on B&N, and the price literally bounced from $1.99 to $9.68 every 15 seconds or so.

The regional manager is allegedly notifying upper management of the problem with this ebook's price, but if you are interested in it and have a Kindle or the Kindle app, I suggest you purchase it from Amazon instead.

B&N clearly has some unresolved IT problems.  A few weeks ago, the balance on my gift card decreased by almost $10 in the span of 20 seconds.  Neither the store manager or I could figure out why.  Then, a few days later, I learned that I had pre-ordered an e-book that had been converted by B&N's computer system from a pre-order to a sale during that 20-second window of time.  This happened at about Midnight Eastern time. 

B&N should probably program its computers to complete these types of transactions at 3:00 AM or later Eastern Time, after stores in most of the states have closed for the day.  Programming computer software to automatically run at Midnight, when many b&m stores are still open, appears to represent a somewhat provincial view of the world.  This particular problem might occur infrequently, but why should it be allowed to occur at all?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:

BrandieC wrote:

B&N clearly has some unresolved IT problems.  A few weeks ago, the balance on my gift card decreased by almost $10 in the span of 20 seconds.  Neither the store manager or I could figure out why.  Then, a few days later, I learned that I had pre-ordered an e-book that had been converted by B&N's computer system from a pre-order to a sale during that 20-second window of time.  This happened at about Midnight Eastern time. 

B&N should probably program its computers to complete these types of transactions at 3:00 AM or later Eastern Time, after stores in most of the states have closed for the day.  Programming computer software to automatically run at Midnight, when many b&m stores are still open, appears to represent a somewhat provincial view of the world.  This particular problem might occur infrequently, but why should it be allowed to occur at all?

B&N does all their ebook processing between 12 and 12:30 ET, I assume because the contracts with the publishers for release date are for ET, and they make pre-orders available as soon as they can.  Once you know what's going on, it can be a good thing - it's always nice to be able to start a long-awaited before bed. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

B&N does all their ebook processing between 12 and 12:30 ET, I assume because the contracts with the publishers for release date are for ET, and they make pre-orders available as soon as they can.  Once you know what's going on, it can be a good thing - it's always nice to be able to start a long-awaited before bed. :smileyhappy:

Because the West Coast stores are still open, this is not a good time to do their e-book processing.  That is, unless their IT Department takes special measures to avoid "timing windows," which they apparently have not done. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 25 members 261 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: