Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

We Interrupt This Date

[ Edited ]

We Interrupt This Date We Interrupt this Date

Hello. I'd like to present my NOOKbook, We Interrupt This Date. 

Since her divorce a year ago, Susan Caraway has gone through the motions of life, feeling at best mildly depressed. Now she is finally coming out of her shell. Just when she decides on a makeover and a new career, her family members call on her for crisis assistance. First there’s her sister DeLorean who has come back from California with a baby, a designer dog, and no prospects for child support or a job. As soon as DeLorean settles in at Susan’s home, Susan’s son Christian comes home from college trailing what Susan’s mama refers to as “an androgynous little tart.” Then there’s Mama herself, a southern lady who wrote the book on bossy. A secret from Mama’s past threatens to unravel her own peace. But not before Mama hurts her ankle and has to move into Susan’s home with her babies—two Chihuahuas with attitude. Susan would like to start her new job as a ghost tour operator. She would like to renew her relationship with Jack Maxwell, a man from her past. But Jack isn’t going to stand in line behind her needy family.

This book currently has 13 five star reviews at another site. 

Short excerpt from a 5 star review by Red Adept of "Red Adept Reviews": Firmly entrenched in the Chick Lit genre, the plot of this book is highly entertaining, especially for the over thirty crowd. The storyline was humorous without stretching the envelope in a blatant attempt to be funny. Dialogue is a major strong suit of this author. Her descriptions were right on target, succinct, yet picturesque. 

I hope you get a chance to check out my book.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Re: We Interrupt This Date

:smileyhappy:an you edit and put the link to this book in your post?

Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

Thanks for noticing. I would love to put the link in my post, but have not figured out how to do this and was over in the help screens trying to find out. I've tried insert code and insert link and they didn't work. Of course, that doesn't mean I inserted the correct code or link. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

There's an "Add Product" button at the far right end of the message-editing toolbar.

Like this:

We Interrupt This Date

Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

Thank you, Doug. I really appreciate the help. I wasn't able to remove the image I had already put in my post, so I just added a link. 

Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

I got this great new review for my book at some other bookstore. Here's a short excerpt from a review by author Karen Cantwell:

LC Evans is a skilled writer in the romantic comedy genre - We Interrupt This Date has a fun storyline, tight plot, lively characters, and just the right amount of romantic tension to make this a number one pick in my book. Highly recommended.

We Interrupt This Date

Contributor
sheilatn
0 Kudos

I would only purchase a book from someone "self promoting" their own ebook it if it were $0.99 or less..  There are so many books by proven writers offered at a very minimal price that I am not willing to spend $2.99 on a new author, IMHO.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS

And a warm and helpful fellow you are "sheilatn" for sharing that with us. :smileyhappy:

I don't usually read the genre - but I think I'll give it a try.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

sheilatn wrote:

I would only purchase a book from someone "self promoting" their own ebook it if it were $0.99 or less..  There are so many books by proven writers offered at a very minimal price that I am not willing to spend $2.99 on a new author, IMHO.

I guess we all have our limits for PubIt books, just as we do for books from publishers. I found some PubIt novels that looked interested and were YA paranormal, which I was in the mood for. I was holding back on a few $2.99 PubIt books that were on my wishlist. But after reading the samples, I finally culled the ones I didn't like or that needed editing. (For example, one used apostrophes to create a plural, argh!) Sure, I'd prefer to spend 99 cents on a self-published book because there is no editor as gatekeeper and the reviews are often useless, but $2.99 doesn't seem too high if it seems interesting. At least if it turns out to be hideous, I can leave a negative review and feel that I have helped other readers save the price of a really small cup of coffee.

On the other hand, there was one self-published book that seemed intriguing but was priced at $4.99 or so. I looked again, and it's now $6.00. Eek. I can buy something I really want from an established publisher for that price, so unless I hear great things about it, that one will have to wait. It might be great, but while the excerpt didn't send me running away screaming, it didn't light my fire.

For what it's worth, I've heard that contemporary romantic comedies are hard to find in the romance fiction section because many of the publishers have almost abandoned the subgenre. So I can understand why a newer writer might give up and decide to self-publish their romantic comedy instead.

Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

Thank you for your input. 

Critteranne wrote:

For what it's worth, I've heard that contemporary romantic comedies are hard to find in the romance fiction section because many of the publishers have almost abandoned the subgenre. So I can understand why a newer writer might give up and decide to self-publish their romantic comedy instead.

That was exactly the case with me. A small publisher took on my mystery novel and did a great job with the editing, the cover, and the formatting. But I've had to do all the marketing myself and it took me more than a year to convince them to bring out the eBook version on sites other than their own. Then when they did release the book to other online stores, they priced it at $6.99, so it doesn't sell many eCopies, though it does well in paperback. I felt confident the same publisher would accept We Interrupt This Date, but eventually decided to publish the book on my own. Since I'm doing my own marketing anyway, it's a huge advantage to maintain control, and I get a much higher royalty than I would if I signed with a trad publisher. The disadvantage of self-pubbing is that authors have to take on the costs of editing and cover design on their own.

I'm now working on a sequel to my trad published mystery. I plan to self-publish and price the book low to help make up for the first in the series having such a high price. 

We Interrupt This Date

Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

We Interrupt This Date received a great 4 star review from Candy's Raves review site.

A quote from the review: "It was very well edited and the plot moved along. The introduction of the ghost tours and giving us background on that was genius of the author, it brought another element into the story without burying us in the details."

L.C. Evans, author

We Interrupt This Date 

Jobless Recovery 

Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

Based on reader and reviewer feedback, I got a brand new cover for We Interrupt This Date. The new cover more accurately reflects the tone and content of the book. I really like it and so far I've gotten only positive feedback.

We Interrupt This Date

Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

Re: We Interrupt This Date listed on Red Adept's top indie books of 2010

I'm pleased to announce that We Interrupt This Date has made Red Adept's list of awards for top indie books of 2010!

We Interrupt This Date

Inspired Correspondent
DblGee

I just finished reading this!  I don't normally read a lot of Chick Lit books but this was just the nice light read I was looking for after an intense (end of the world type) novel....and I liked your snarky sense of humor:smileyhappy: 

Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

Thank you so much. I like to switch out my reading, too. After I read something really intense, I want humor or light reading to balance things out. 

L.C. Evans, author

Jobless Recovery 

We Interrupt This Date 

Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

Re: We Interrupt This Date has a new price!

Great news for readers: Now you can get We Interrupt This Date for only $ .99. 

This book was selected as one of the best indie reads of 2010 by respected reviewer Red Adept.

From a review by Candy's Raves: 

"I loved that it had plenty of funny moments, a little bit of a romance, but the main theme was about a strong woman, who was growing stronger. I found myself identifying a bit with the man character, being the person that everyone contacts when they need help, running in twenty different directions and going nowhere fast. 

My favorite part is that the author let Charleston be Charleston. There was no romanticizing it. The vernacular wasn't completely destroyed. I didn't feel like reaching through the author's typewriter and whacking her right upside her pretty little head.

It was very well edited and the plot moved along. The introduction of the ghost tours and giving us background on that was genius of the author, it brought another element into the story without burying us in the details."

L.C. Evans

We Interrupt This Date 

Jobless Recovery 

Night Camp 

Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

Re: We Interrupt This Date Featured Today on Indieview

We Interrupt This Date is still priced at only $.99. 

Featured today on Simon Royle's Indieview blog.

http://www.simon-royle.com/2011/01/24/indieview-with-l-c-evans-author-of-we-interrupt-this-date/

L.C. Evans

We Interrupt This Date 

Jobless Recovery 

Night Camp 

Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

We Interrupt This Date has generated a lot of interest since I got the new cover and I get a lot of fan mail from readers who think Mama is like someone in their family.

L.C. Evans

We Interrupt This Date 

The Witness Wore Blood Bay 

Night Camp 

Jobless Recovery 

Contributor
arizonasullivan
0 Kudos

I got a gift card from groupon and thought your book sounded just what I needed!

Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy the book.

L.C. Evans

We Interrupt This Date 

The Witness Wore Blood Bay 

Night Camp 

Jobless Recovery