Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

What are you eReading?

As more and more nooks arrive in the wild, we thought it’d be interesting to see what people are reading on their nooks – and their other devices running the free B&N eReader software.

So, what eBooks are you reading?

Frequent Contributor
Alucard
0 Kudos

What Ebooks are you reading on your Nook?...

Since I have to wait for my Nook, I thought it would be great for everyone to list what they are currently reading on their Nook now, the author, the genre, and what you like about the book.

I am a Fantasy epic series fan myself, but I also enjoy sci-fi, mystery, horror, and suspense-thrillers.

So, let us know what you are enjoying on the Nook!

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

Re: What Ebooks are you reading on your Nook?...

Last Week: Water for Elephants By Sara Gruen. Reminds me of "Life of Pi"  (very good) - Note: if anyone was any recommendations for book similiar to this I'd love to hear them.

This Week: The Perks of Being a Wallflower By Stephen Chbosky. Realized it more of a coming of age book now that I'm almost done it. (it's ok, but entertaining)

Next Week: Post Office: A Novel By Charles Bukowski. Seems like a good read from someone elses recommendation on here.

Reader 2
Bowman74
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm currently reading "Wit'ch Fire" by James Clemens which is actually a free e-book from B&N.  A pretty good fantasy book with the standard beginning.  Young person learns they have a special power and get chased out of their home by "the bad guys" who want to stop or control them.  I always liked that formula if I like the characters, which I do. In fact I just finished another free B&N e-book, "Already Dead" by Charlie Huston.  It is a vampire/zombie genera book, similar to Jim Butcher's stuff.  I plan on purchasing the rest of that series so B&N will get rewarded for those free books. 

I just ordered "Under the Dome" by Stephen King.  I'll probably buy some more Jim Butcher books, some Terry Pratchett books that I haven't read yet.  Like you I also do mostly fantasy, sci-fi, horror, etc.  I am a little bummed that "The Gathering Storm" by Robert Jordan (kind of) isn't available but I have the rest in hard cover and I'll get this one in hard cover too from the SFBC.

As far as the Nook itself; it is very nice with 1.1.1 even though I screwed up the application of the optional protective film.  I'll have to buy that again and give it another try.

Thanks.

Inspired Contributor
oceans1
0 Kudos

Marked (House of Night Series #1)   yep one of those silly vampire series

The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012  i wanted to know what all the fuss was about

New Moon  re-reading before seeing movie

Next, in a couple of weeks,   Way of the Wizard : Twenty Spiritual Lessons for Creating the Life You Want

Inspired Correspondent
lilio
0 Kudos

I have previously cited the books of Stieg Larsson - Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Girll who played with Fire.  contemporary intrigue is how I would categorize them, but also deal with social issues/econimic issues in Sweden.

Downloaded a coupld of JD Robb books (romance and detective series) and added some Jane Austen.  I have been trying to stay with free books so I don't lose too much if the gadget doesn't work well.

Other classics: Ivanhoe, Rob Roy, Les Miserables, Count of Monte Cristo among others.  I am also going to try to get a bunch of Dickens books as time goes on.

I would love to find Allan Drury books - Advise and Consent, and Preserve and Protect.  They are not in any ebook site I have seen and even seem to be out of print.  I last read them in the 60's, and since I am at the age of forgetfulness, they will read like new!:smileywink:

I also want to re read the Dune series, especially in light of how Islam figures so prominently in the books.

I also want to get Under the Dome and go back and read the Stand. 

I just finished The Corp series by WEB Griffin and the one on police.  Kind of interesting story lines and interesting WW2 history.  Not the finest writer, but interesting vision.

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

Currently Reading:  Oscar Wilde - Picture of Dorian Gray

Read: 

Edgar Rice Burroughs:  Tarzan of the Apes

Jonathan Lethem:  Chronic City

Chuck Palahnuik: Pygmy

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: A Study in Scarlet

Henry Rider Hagger:  King Solomon's Mine

Will read next:  Edith Nesbit - Five Children and It

Frequent Contributor
Nakiami
0 Kudos

The Luxe series by Anna Godbersen

Luxe

Rumors

Envy

Splendor

The Girl Who Played WIth Fire by Stieg Larsson

Scribe
lkmiller

Bowman74 wrote:

I'm currently reading "Wit'ch Fire" by James Clemens which is actually a free e-book from B&N.  A pretty good fantasy book with the standard beginning.  Young person learns they have a special power and get chased out of their home by "the bad guys" who want to stop or control them.  I always liked that formula if I like the characters, which I do. In fact I just finished another free B&N e-book, "Already Dead" by Charlie Huston.  It is a vampire/zombie genera book, similar to Jim Butcher's stuff.  I plan on purchasing the rest of that series so B&N will get rewarded for those free books. 

I just ordered "Under the Dome" by Stephen King.  I'll probably buy some more Jim Butcher books, some Terry Pratchett books that I haven't read yet.  Like you I also do mostly fantasy, sci-fi, horror, etc.  I am a little bummed that "The Gathering Storm" by Robert Jordan (kind of) isn't available but I have the rest in hard cover and I'll get this one in hard cover too from the SFBC.

As far as the Nook itself; it is very nice with 1.1.1 even though I screwed up the application of the optional protective film.  I'll have to buy that again and give it another try.

Thanks.

FYI, Wi'tch Fire and Already Dead are this month's free books from Del Rey's website suvudu.com.  They have them available in several formats (including B&N, Kindle, Sony, and DRM-free pdf).  Keep checking back as they take down the old and offer up new books.

The Gathering Storm will be available in ebook form next year.  Tor is currently in the process of releasing the entire Wheel of Time series as ebooks (with new cover art from different artists).  They released The Eye of the World (book 1) as an ebook the same day as The Gathering Storm hardcover, and they will continue to release subsequent books each month over the next year.  So right now the first three are available as ebooks.

As you may have guessed, I'm a fantasy fan myself. :smileyhappy:  I'm also looking forward to reading some classic books I've always meant to by downloading them free from sites such as Project Gutenberg, feedbooks, and manybooks.net.  (These often have less typos and better formatting than those available from Google Books.)

Reader 4
lostknitter
0 Kudos

Wi'tch Fire is the first book I got for my nook, and have since purchased the rest of this series. I am just about done with Wi'tch War and ready for the last book. I really enjoyed this series and with the first book free, it has been a very affordable read. J

Reader 2
Bowman74
0 Kudos

Ikmiller,

Thanks for the information!

Contributor
jerrysliljess
0 Kudos

I'm normally a sci-fi and mystery reader but I'm starting to like Nora Roberts.  I read on a free ebook program for my computer, "Vision of White" and I loved it (I didn't love reading it on my computer though).  I bought "Bed of Roses" and I'm waiting until I get my Nook.  I'll probably first find some stuff that are free and purchase more books of my liking. 

Inspired Correspondent
lilio

Love Nora Roberts and books under her pen name, JD Robb.  Her heroines are always so strong, not wimpy like other authors I have read (briefly).

Frequent Contributor
VenturaBumm
0 Kudos

For fun I am currently reading A Princess Of Landover (Magic Kingdom series #6) by Terry Brooks. For work i am reading Debug It from the Pragmatic Programmers. 

I think next i might dig my way through is Dracula. Never read it before. 

Frequent Contributor
Alucard
0 Kudos

Great to hear about everyone's e-booklists.

Regarding an earlier post, I believe Wheel of Time Books 1-3 are available for download already.  Just hoping they release the others soon.

Plus I want The Silmarillion, lol.

Keep your ebooks coming- it is fun to see everyone's different tastes in reading...

Frequent Contributor
Greeny
0 Kudos

Reading Snow Crash now. After that Hunger Games, then Lost Symbol, followed by either Lamb or the Stupidest Angel. Not sure which order on the last two but I doubt it will matter as Chirstopher Moore is one of my favorite authors.

Frequent Contributor
ElAleph
0 Kudos

The Road, almost done with it.

Frequent Contributor
Alucard
0 Kudos

I am also going to get Under The Dome, when I get my Nook  ;-)

Inspired Correspondent
PC_FL
0 Kudos

I'm reading "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens (seems appropriate this time of year).  I'm also reading "The Night Angel Trilogy" by Brent Weeks - they have the entire trilogy on ebook for only $9.99.  This is actually the only ebook I've actually paid for - I've downloaded several of the free ebooks others have mentioned, and I've also "sideloaded" numerous classics from gutenberg.org I hope to get to soon (okay, one day...)!

Oh, and I've gotten my free cookie from B&N last night - you get a coupon for a free cookie from the cafe if you take your nook to a B&N store.

Yes, my free, $272 cookie...

Correspondent
EffieTX
0 Kudos

i am also reading a freebee... Eight Cousins..and will follow with Rose in Bloom, another freebee... Then I don't know... lots I want to read and its hard to decide!