Contributor
sgovotsos
0 Kudos

What format books in

When you browse ebooks, how can you tell whether the book will be in eReader or EPUB format?  I'm only interested in eReader books so I'd like to be able to know how to determine that.

Thanks

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

Re: What format books in

There is no current way to check.

Frequent Contributor
Saneless
0 Kudos

If you really insist on only ereader books, try fictionwise.  You get to pick the format, and I believe every single book is in at least eReader format there, though usually more than just that.

Contributor
sgovotsos
0 Kudos

I think this is an important piece of information that should be included in the Details section of the book.  The reason I like eReader instead of EPUB is because eReader is a more robust and portable format.  It also doesn't require validation from a central server that might disappear one day.  With eReader, once I download it, I can install it in any compatible reader I want at any time I want.

As far as I'm concerned, the Ereader format is the best ebook DRM format available - more portable than anything else, very robust & mature, "perfect" DRM (no one's going to pass around their credit card number)

Contributor
sgovotsos
0 Kudos

This information really needs to be provided in the book description so customers know what they are buying: eReader or Epub.

Contributor
Bookie_Wookie
0 Kudos

I thought every Barnes and Nobles eBook was ePub, is this not the case?
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

I have bought books using my nook, then downloaded a copy to my computer to read when my wife has the nook.  The books in the nook's "My B&N downloads" folder are in epub format. The downloaded files on my computer are in pdb format - usable on my computer as well as my Palm T5.

Frequent Contributor
Saneless
0 Kudos

"

As far as I'm concerned, the Ereader format is the best ebook DRM format available - more portable than anything else, very robust & mature, "perfect" DRM (no one's going to pass around their credit card number)"

Well, are you also going to keep around your credit card numbers throughout your life?  I just had a mixup in a restaurant where they lost my card so I had to cancel it.  I'm going to get a new number, which of course isn't going to work for authenticating any ebooks I already own.

I just do myself a favor and strip the DRM on ereader format books as soon as I get them.  Then I can truly do what I want, no restrictions.  Best situation.  I buy the books, I own the books.

Contributor
sgovotsos
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"I just do myself a favor and strip the DRM on ereader format books as soon as I get them.  Then I can truly do what I want, no restrictions.  Best situation.  I buy the books, I own the books"

How do you do this?  What tools do you use?