Correspondent
barry2B
0 Kudos

Re: What is everyone reading (revisited)?

The Jefferson Key  

I really enjoy Steve Berry's book's and I'm hoping this is as good as the others. 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Rag and Bone (Billy Boyle World War II Mystery Series #5) 

From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. "Uncle Ike" (aka General Eisenhower) personally pins silver first lieutenant bars on Billy Boyle in Benn's stellar fifth WWII mystery (after 2009's Evil for Evil). In December 1943, Billy's leave with his British girlfriend in Italy is cut short. Orders send him to London to look into a Soviet officer's shooting murder, which may be retaliation for the execution of thousands of Polish officers in the Katyn Forest that's been blamed on the Germans but probably was committed by Russians. Since the Soviets are allies, the investigation requires the utmost sensitivity. Billy's loyalties are tested because his friend who works for the Polish government in exile, Lieutenant Kazimierz, is a prime suspect. Benn excels at depicting the impact of war on London--the bricks from bombed buildings piled neatly on the streets, families living in Tube stations, "the odor of the Blitz." Destruction aside, Billy never forgets that "Even in the midst of war, murder is unacceptable." Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. 

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Bonhoeffer 

From Publishers Weekly

In this weighty, riveting analysis of the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Metaxas (Amazing Grace) offers a comprehensive review of one of history's darkest eras, along with a fascinating exploration of the familial, cultural and religious influences that formed one of the world's greatest contemporary theologians. A passionate narrative voice combines with meticulous research to unpack the confluence of circumstances and personalities that led Germany from the defeat of WWI to the atrocities of WWII. Abundant source documentation (sermons, letters, journal entries, lectures, the Barman Declaration) brings to life the personalities and experiences that shaped Bonhoeffer: his highly intellectual, musical family; theologically liberal professors, pastoral colleagues and students; his extensive study, work, and travel abroad. Tracing Bonhoeffer's developing call to be a Jeremiah-like prophet in his own time and a growing understanding that the church was called "to speak for those who could not speak," Metaxas details Bonhoeffer's role in religious resistance to Nazism, and provides a compelling account of the faith journey that eventually involved the Lutheran pastor in unsuccessful attempts to assassinate Hitler. Insightful and illuminating, this tome makes a powerful contribution to biography, history and theology. Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Correspondent
barry2B
0 Kudos

ProfReader wrote:

Bonhoeffer 

From Publishers Weekly

In this weighty, riveting analysis of the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Metaxas (Amazing Grace) offers a comprehensive review of one of history's darkest eras, along with a fascinating exploration of the familial, cultural and religious influences that formed one of the world's greatest contemporary theologians. A passionate narrative voice combines with meticulous research to unpack the confluence of circumstances and personalities that led Germany from the defeat of WWI to the atrocities of WWII. Abundant source documentation (sermons, letters, journal entries, lectures, the Barman Declaration) brings to life the personalities and experiences that shaped Bonhoeffer: his highly intellectual, musical family; theologically liberal professors, pastoral colleagues and students; his extensive study, work, and travel abroad. Tracing Bonhoeffer's developing call to be a Jeremiah-like prophet in his own time and a growing understanding that the church was called "to speak for those who could not speak," Metaxas details Bonhoeffer's role in religious resistance to Nazism, and provides a compelling account of the faith journey that eventually involved the Lutheran pastor in unsuccessful attempts to assassinate Hitler. Insightful and illuminating, this tome makes a powerful contribution to biography, history and theology. Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

I really enjoyed this when I read it a few months ago. I found it thought provoking reading.

Contributor
lolobristow
0 Kudos

Married with Zombies (Living with the Dead Series #1) 

I am a Zombie Weirdo and just picked this up on my nook Color. So far, I'm loving it :smileyvery-happy:

How's that for a slice of fried gold?
New User
Love_BooksVA
0 Kudos

Hello book lovers!

I am reading 'From This Moment On' by Shania Twain. If anyone wants to talk about it, just write me back!

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

T Is for Trespass (Kinsey Millhone Series #20)  

I am almost caught up and will soon be waiting impatiently for V is for Vendetta.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

kathylcsw wrote:

T Is for Trespass (Kinsey Millhone Series #20)  

I am almost caught up and will soon be waiting impatiently for V is for Vendetta.

Finished this yesterday. I always race through these books because they are so good! This is one series that is not getting old or stale. Every one I read seems better than the last. Hands down this is my favorite series ever.

Murder with Peacocks (Meg Langslow Series #1)  

Started this one last night. I am reading it as part of the General Fiction book club at Club Nook.

Happy 4th!

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed

Murder with Peacocks (Meg Langslow Series #1)  

. . . so much so, in fact, that I found the second book in the Meg Langslow series (Murder with Puffins) for free somewhere--InkSpot?--and read that one also!

Now I'm working on

The Devil in the White City  Mr. Larson's style suits me well.  I swore to a friend that this was historical fiction, rather than the nonfiction which it, indeed, turns out to be. If Larson's story telling continues to be so entertaining, I will check out his new offering about Nazi Germany.

In the Garden of Beasts  

Correspondent
bayboatin

Circle Trilogy 3 in 1  

I wasn't sure about this when I first started, but I'm on the 3rd book and can't put it down. I will probably have to get the 4th one also.

Inspired Correspondent
SHissong
0 Kudos

bayboatin wrote:

Circle Trilogy 3 in 1  

I wasn't sure about this when I first started, but I'm on the 3rd book and can't put it down. I will probably have to get the 4th one also.

I read this recently.  I really enjoyed it.

I actually bought "Green" (book 0 and 4) in hardback because it was only $5 online and at the store.  The ebook is almost $15.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Mr. Clarinet  

From Publishers Weekly

Stone's adrenaline-packed debut is not for the faint of heart. Max Mingus, an ex-Miami cop and PI, wants to get his life back on track after a seven-year stint in Attica for the execution of three child molesters. Grudgingly agreeing to investigate the disappearance of Charlie Carver, the three-year-old son of a wealthy white Haitian family, Max finds himself thrown headfirst into the violent, corrupt world of Haiti in the mid-1990s. Max's search leads him from the sprawling Carver compound to Cité Soleil, the country's most notorious slum, pitting him against powerful drug baron Vincent Paul and the bloody legacy of the Carvers' rise to power. Stone veers too often into the explicitly graphic, with numerous extended torture scenes, but readers accustomed to the grittiest of pulp fiction won't be deterred. Stone, the son of British historian Norman Stone and a Haitian mother, vividly depicts a country and a man in turmoil. Despite an overabundance of plot elements, this thriller introduces a fresh voice that fans of hardboiled fiction won't want to miss. (June) Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Inspired Correspondent
SHissong
0 Kudos

White

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1) 

On Writing

The Gates

Bag of Bones

They were all very good books but Bag of Bones was probably my favorite of the group.

Now I am reading "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward".  It is a story contained within the compendium book Call of Cthulhu and Other Dark Tales (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading).  I am reading it for a group read on Goodreads.

Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

Also reading Devil in the White City.

The Devil in the White City  

@Whiteginger.  I also thought this was historical fiction.  What a surprise.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I am almost finished with this in audio book format

Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum Series #2)  

I am so glad that I heard about this series through these boards! I have enjoyed the first 2 books very much and am looking forward to starting the next book in the series next week.

In DTB I am reading

Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding Series #4)  

It is the 2nd book I have read in this series and it is another good series. There are so many great series out there and so little time to read them all!

Contributor
DreamerTZ
0 Kudos

I am reading Demon Day by Penelope Fletcher

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Finished up Two for the Dough. I am loving this series! Started the next book in the series tonight.

Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum Series #3)  

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

The Devil in the White City  

From Publishers Weekly

Not long after Jack the Ripper haunted the ill-lit streets of 1888 London, H.H. Holmes (born Herman Webster Mudgett) dispatched somewhere between 27 and 200 people, mostly single young women, in the churning new metropolis of Chicago; many of the murders occurred during (and exploited) the city's finest moment, the World's Fair of 1893. Larson's breathtaking new history is a novelistic yet wholly factual account of the fair and the mass murderer who lurked within it. Bestselling author Larson (Isaac's Storm) strikes a fine balance between the planning and execution of the vast fair and Holmes's relentless, ghastly activities. The passages about Holmes are compelling and aptly claustrophobic; readers will be glad for the frequent escapes to the relative sanity of Holmes's co-star, architect and fair overseer Daniel Hudson Burnham, who managed the thousands of workers and engineers who pulled the sprawling fair together 0n an astonishingly tight two-year schedule. A natural charlatan, Holmes exploited the inability of authorities to coordinate, creating a small commercial empire entirely on unpaid debts and constructing a personal cadaver-disposal system. This is, in effect, the nonfiction Alienist, or a sort of companion, which might be called Homicide, to Emile Durkheim's Suicide. However, rather than anomie, Larson is most interested in industriousness and the new opportunities for mayhem afforded by the advent of widespread public anonymity. This book is everything popular history should be, meticulously recreating a rich, pre-automobile America on the cusp of modernity, in which the sale of "articulated" corpses was a semi-respectable trade and serial killers could go well-nigh unnoticed. 6 b&w photos, 1 map.Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Frequent Contributor
RebelsLGB
0 Kudos

Currently Reading:

Emma  

Soon to Start:

The Distant Hours