New User
ZoeyRedbird123
0 Kudos

Re: What is everyone reading (revisited)?

Hey Hi Im new here and just wanted to tell you have you read vampire diaries or house of night cuz if you twilight you'll worship them anyway best of luck with your book

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Just finished the latest Jim Butcher story at 2am this morning :smileywink:

Ghost Story (Dresden Files Series #13)  

A great read for fans of Harry Dresden and in my opinion well worth paying the full price to get it on release day.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Cash Burn  

Product Description

Billions of dollars flow through Jason Dunn's banking office each year. When he suffers a series of career setbacks and his marriage begins to crumble, he and his attractive new assistant devise a plan to disappear with a slice of the bank's cash flow. The unwelcome appearance of his brother on the scene, just released from prison, threatens to sidetrack Jason's plans. But Jason's brother "Flip" has his own problems with a parole officer who isn't fooled by this dangerous parolee. In the race to the jackpot between Jason and Flip, and the unwinding of their troubled history, the question soon becomes, Who will get burned?

Frequent Contributor
french44
0 Kudos

Beneath the Skin  

I'm to the half way mark and its ok.. I like more action, I like to be in the room with the killer, in the victims head,, part of the police team figuring it all out, I'm not getting this from this book... but its still ok

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

In the Garden of Beasts  

Book Description

“Larson is a marvelous writer...superb at creating characters with a few short strokes.”—New York Times Book Review

Erik Larson has been widely acclaimed as a master of narrative non-fiction, and in his new book, the bestselling author of Devil in the White City turns his hand to a remarkable story set during Hitler’s rise to power.

The time is 1933, the place, Berlin, when William E. Dodd becomes America’s first ambassador to Hitler’s Germany in a year that proved to be a turning point in history.

A mild-mannered professor from Chicago, Dodd brings along his wife, son, and flamboyant daughter, Martha. At first Martha is entranced by the parties and pomp, and the handsome young men of the Third Reich with their infectious enthusiasm for restoring Germany to a position of world prominence. Enamored of the “New Germany,” she has one affair after another, including with the suprisingly honorable first chief of the Gestapo, Rudolf Diels. But as evidence of Jewish persecution mounts, confirmed by chilling first-person testimony, her father telegraphs his concerns to a largely indifferent State Department back home. Dodd watches with alarm as Jews are attacked, the press is censored, and drafts of frightening new laws begin to circulate. As that first year unfolds and the shadows deepen, the Dodds experience days full of excitement, intrigue, romance--and ultimately, horror, when a climactic spasm of violence and murder reveals Hitler’s true character and ruthless ambition.

Suffused with the tense atmosphere of the period, and with unforgettable portraits of the bizarre Göring and the expectedly charming--yet wholly sinister--Goebbels, In the Garden of Beasts lends a stunning, eyewitness perspective on events as they unfold in real time, revealing an era of surprising nuance and complexity. The result is a dazzling, addictively readable work that speaks volumes about why the world did not recognize the grave threat posed by Hitler until Berlin, and Europe, were awash in blood and terror.

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Just finished

This Time Together 

If you remember and enjoyed The Carol Burnett show and other shows / celebrities of that era, you will LOVE this book.  It's a series of short anecdotes and touching memories--a quick, enjoyable read.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

The Triple Agent  

Book Description

Publication Date: July 19, 2011

In The Triple Agent, Pulitzer Prize–winning reporter Joby Warrick takes us deep inside the CIA’s secret war against al-Qaeda, a war that pits robotic planes and laser-guided missiles against a cunning enemy intent on unleashing carnage in American cities. Flitting precariously between the two sides was Balawi, a young man with extraordinary gifts who managed to win the confidence of hardened terrorists as well as veteran spymasters. With his breathtaking accounts from inside al-Qaeda’s lair, Balawi appeared poised to become America’s greatest double-agent in half a century—but he was not at all what he seemed. Combining the powerful momentum of Black Hawk Down with the institutional insight of Jane Mayer’sThe Dark Side, Warrick takes the readers on a harrowing journey from the slums of Amman to the inner chambers of the White House in an untold true story of miscalculation, deception, and revenge.

A stunning narrative account of the mysterious Jordanian who penetrated both the inner circle of al-Qaeda and the highest reaches of the CIA, with a devastating impact on the war on terror.

In December 2009, a group of the CIA’s top terrorist hunters gathered at a secret base in Khost, Afghanistan, to greet a rising superspy: Humam Khalil al-Balawi, a Jordanian double-agent who infiltrated the upper ranks of al-Qaeda. For months, he had sent shocking revelations from inside the terrorist network and now promised to help the CIA assassinate Osama bin Laden’s top deputy. Instead, as he stepped from his car, he detonated a thirty-pound bomb strapped to his chest, instantly killing seven CIA operatives, the agency’s worst loss of life in decades.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Heidegger's Glasses  

Book Description
Publication Date: November 1, 2010

Heidegger’s Glasses opens during the end of World War II in a failing Germany coming apart at the seams. The Third Reich’s strong reliance on the occult and its obsession with the astral plane has led to the formation of an underground compound of scribes—translators responsible for answering letters written to those eventually killed in the concentration camps.

Into this covert compound comes a letter written by eminent philosopher Martin Heidegger to his optometrist, who is now lost in the dying thralls of Auschwitz. How will the scribes answer this letter? The presence of Heidegger’s words—one simple letter in a place filled with letters—sparks a series of events that will ultimately threaten the safety and well-being of the entire compound.

Part love story, part thriller, part meditation on how the dead are remembered and history presented, with threads of Heidegger’s philosophy woven throughout, the novel evocatively illustrates the Holocaust through an almost dreamlike state. Thaisa Frank deftly reconstructs the landscape of Nazi Germany from an entirely original vantage point.
Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

The Glass Room 

Honeymooners Viktor and Liesel Landauer are filled with the optimism and cultural vibrancy of central Europe of the 1920s when they meet modernist architect Rainer von Abt. He builds for them a home to embody their exuberant faith in the future, and the Landauer House becomes an instant masterpiece. Viktor and Liesel, a rich Jewish mogul married to a thoughtful, modern gentile, pour all of their hopes for their marriage and budding family into their stunning new home, filling it with children, friends, and a generation of artists and thinkers eager to abandon old-world European style in favor of the new and the avant-garde. But as life intervenes, their new home also brings out their most passionate desires and darkest secrets. As Viktor searches for a warmer, less challenging comfort in the arms of another woman, and Liesel turns to her wild, mischievous friend Hana for excitement, the marriage begins to show signs of strain. The radiant honesty and idealism of 1930 quickly evaporate beneath the storm clouds of World War II. As Nazi troops enter the country, the family must leave their old life behind and attempt to escape to America before Viktor's Jewish roots draw Nazi attention, and before the family itself dissolves. As the Landauers struggle for survival abroad, their home slips from hand to hand, from Czech to Nazi to Soviet possession and finally back to the Czechoslovak state, with new inhabitants always falling under the fervent and unrelenting influence of the Glass Room. 

(In a foreword, the author explains that the "glass room" house for which the novel is named and a minor character--a Czech pianist/composer--are real.  The rest is fiction  I am enjoying Mawer's style.  I will research the house and composer after I have finished the book.)

Contributor
KarenBerner
0 Kudos

Finished :

Decisions  

Moving onto:

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children  

Karen Wojcik Berner
www.karenberner.com
Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

Daddy's Little Girl  I am past halfway on this one. Then it is on to:

Two Little Girls in Blue   

Plus I am going to go back to 

The Devil in the White City  which I started a few weeks ago, but left to read The Help  .

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

I've not yet finished this book but unless the author just blows the ending I will be recommending this book for years to come.  Just a great book about friendship.

Firefly Lane  

Contributor
PhoebeMatthews
0 Kudos

Total Eclipse (Weather Warden Series #9)   This is the last book of the series, I think, although maybe Caine will surprise us. Anyway, I adored this series and this book wrapped everything up in a fabulous page-turning tale (should I call that button pushing on my nook?)

Wait. Maybe there is still a left over question about immortality - hmm. Anyway, I loved this book.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

I'm several chapters into Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay.

Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten year-old girl, is brutally arrested with her family by the French police in the Vel’ d’Hiv’ roundup, but not before she locks her younger brother in a cupboard in the family's apartment, thinking that she will be back within a few hours.
Paris, May 2002: On Vel’ d’Hiv’s 60th anniversary, journalist Julia Jarmond is asked to write an article about this black day in France's past. Through her contemporary investigation, she stumbles onto a trail of long-hidden family secrets that connect her to Sarah. 

The book alternates chapters from the past (1942) and the present (2002).  I'm enjoying it thus far.

(Sorry, the site won't let me "add product" pix or links and is not letting me format either :smileymad:)

Frequent Contributor
PhillipThomasDuck
0 Kudos

Second Son (Short Story)  I just finished reading Lee Child's short story "Second Son", which was nice, but not phenomenal. 

Now, I'm about 41% of the way through Maragaret Johnson Hodge's "In Search of Tennessee Sunshine", wonderul read as I had expected.  Her writing inspires me!

Distracted (Thriller)
Excuse Me, Miss (EMM #1)
Modesty (EMM #2)
One Quick Kiss (Sexy Short Stories)
Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

I finished 

Daddy's Little Girl . A quick and very good read.

Now I added 

The Air We Breathe   to read along with

The Devil in the White City  , and

Two Little Girls in Blue  

Contributor
writer2011
0 Kudos

Tears of a Hustler Pt 3 

Best Trilogy!

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Body Work (V.I. Warshawski Series #14)  

Overview

“The thing about Sara Paretsky is, she’s tough—not because she observes the bone-breaker conventions of the private-eye genre but because she doesn’t flinch from examining old social injustices others might find too shameful (and too painful) to dig up.” — The New York Times Book Review

“Doctors take days off — why not PIs?” V.I. Warshawski demands. But when America’s hardest-working private eye goes clubbing, a stranger is shot and dies in her arms.

V.I. has been visiting Club Gouge, Chicago’s edgiest nightspot, where a woman known as the Body Artist turns her naked body into a canvas for the audience to paint on.

The show attracts all kinds of people, from a menacing off-duty cop to Ukrainian mobsters and Iraq war vets — and V.I.’s impetuous cousin, Petra. A tormented young painter shows up, too, and the intricate designs she creates on the Body Artist drive one of the vets into a violent rage.When the painter is shot, the cops figure it’s an easy collar — PTSD vet goes off the rails, stalks then kills young woman. But the vet’s family hires V.I. to clear his name, and the detective uncovers a chain of ugly truths that stretches all the way from Iraq to Chicago’s South Side.

Frequent Contributor
GonnaTri
0 Kudos

Lone Survivor    excellent so far.