Contributor
cool_beans
0 Kudos

Re: What is everyone reading (revisited)?

I am currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin and Ubroken by L. Hildebrand.
Frequent Contributor
rovingspinster603
0 Kudos

Just finished    The Sommoner    by Layton Green.    Very good!!!

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

I just finished Daughters by Consuelo Saah Baehr. It's really good and even though it was a long book, I hated for it to end. 

Now I'm reading this one: 

The Time Hunters 

It's a kids' book, but I wanted to check it out before I give it to the Boy. I just got him a Nook of his own and I'm trying to find good affordable books. This one's good so far. I think he'll like it.

L.C. Evans

We Interrupt This Date 

The Witness Wore Blood Bay 

Night Camp 

Jobless Recovery 

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1)

Happy Reading :smileywink:

My Book Giveaways

http://www.darkangel88.com/

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

ProfReader wrote:

Excellent, I am now on Gator A Go Go

AlanNJ wrote:

I just started:

Electric Barracuda (Serge Storms Series #13)

Since you're reading the whole series at once I'd be interested in your thoughts about this one when you're done.  Feel free to PM me.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

I would be glad to

AlanNJ wrote:

ProfReader wrote:

Excellent, I am now on Gator A Go Go

AlanNJ wrote:

I just started:

Since you're reading the whole series at once I'd be interested in your thoughts about this one when you're done.  Feel free to PM me.

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Generation Dead (Generation Dead Series #1)  

My Book Giveaways

Frequent Contributor
Edison43
0 Kudos

...recommended reading -  Encounter at North Road House  on B&N NOOKbook - E-Book -

A masked, invicible psychopath Jason-type enters a house looking for another life to take, but the house is empty and haunted by ghostly spirits of wickedness.  The doors of the haunted house then lock shut and entrap the masked-killer - instantly, a war breaks out between the haunted elements of the house and the masked psychopath.

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

LUCAS

My Book Giveaways

Frequent Contributor
PhillipThomasDuck
0 Kudos

I just finished reading "Alone" by Lisa Gardner.....excellent read!! Highly recommend it :-)

One Quick Kiss

Excuse Me, Miss  

Distracted (Thriller)
Excuse Me, Miss (EMM #1)
Modesty (EMM #2)
One Quick Kiss (Sexy Short Stories)
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

From Publishers Weekly

In Dorsey's madcap 13th novel featuring vigilante serial killer Serge A. Storms (after Gator A-Go-Go), Serge gets engaged in a scheme cooked up by his faithful sidekick, Coleman, who hopes to attract tourists to Florida by offering theme vacations: "My first theme vacation: the ÿtourist fugitive.' You come down here and pretend to be on the lam." Those on the gleefully maniacal Serge's trail include a conniving lawyer gulled into thinking Serge has the key to Al Capone's lost treasure, a Florida Department of Law Enforcement task force, and Serge's personal Javert, the obsessive, dubiously lucid but insightful Agent Mahoney. Dorsey cheerfully rejoices in Florida's colorful history and in the triumph of absurdity and anarchy over law and propriety. His police are no better than Keystone Kops, while tempering his deranged protagonist's taste for complex murder is Serge's unerring ability to select worthy targets. An unnecessary final revelation aside, series fans will be pleased. (Feb.) 
(c) Copyright PWxyz, LLC. All rights reserved.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

I have had a fascination with Madame Tussaud since I was a child. I hope to one day visit one of the wax museums.

Madame Tussaud

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

Hexbound (Dark Elite Series #2) 

My Book Giveaways

Inspired Correspondent
SHissong
0 Kudos

I just finished

The Dark Tower VII.  This was a truly epic story.  I give this book 5 stars and the series 4.

Now I am going to read

The Color of Magic (Discworld Series) 

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Just started:

Dexter in the Dark (Dexter Series #3)

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

@AlanNJ how graphic are the Dexter books? I am tempted to read them but I guess I am a bit too sensitive for really graphic violence.

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

kathylcsw wrote:

@AlanNJ how graphic are the Dexter books? I am tempted to read them but I guess I am a bit too sensitive for really graphic violence.

I'd love to know this also.  I've been dying to read them.  Also, are they exact storylines from the TV series?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Finished:

How to Write a Sentence (non-fiction) [HarperCollins]

Ick. Fish is a throwback to the 19th century, when people wrote sentences that could fill an entire page. One of his favorite writers is Henry James. I'm from the Strunk & White generation: keep the writing clean and simple.

2 stars for trying to set fiction writing back two hundred years.

Bailed out on:

Ransom X [Smashwords]

This is one of the most popular freebies from Smashwords, but I couldn't handle the poor writing. The characters were interesting and the situation was moderately interesting (though right at the edge of my ability to suspend disbelief). But by page 45, the author's inability to write coherent sentences and paragraphs, and to maintain a stable Point of View, became more than I could bear.

2 stars for needing a remedial English writing class.

Bailed out on:

Ether [Smashwords]

The writing on this is very YA (young adult), and I couldn't force myself through it. I quit after a few chapters.

Unrated because I'm not really the target audience.

Finished:

Invisible [Revell/Baker]

(Still free as of this writing.)

I was really impressed with the writing in this cozy. The voice has a level of authenticity that's very rare in fiction.

5 stars with the note that this is on the borderline between "faith-based" and "faith-friendly". The protagonist, Ivy Malone, is a church-going Evangelical Protestant, and her thoughts, conversations, and actions occasionally reflect that. It's not exactly "preachy", but some people might find it that way. You can skip those parts without losing the main plot, but since IMO one of the best aspects of this novel is the character of Ivy Malone, you might be missing a bit of that authenticity.

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading three books:

1)

The Body Finder Low Price with Bonus Material  by Kimberly Dertling (teen romance/mystery with paranormal edge)

2)

The Bricklayer  by Noah Boyd (first-time novelist, former FBI Agent, hailed as "the next Lee Child" - story involves action adventure hero Steve Vail who gets the bad guys and saves the world - solid plot, if a little formulaic)

and more slowly, I'm working my way through 3)

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner (an old chick-lit classic)

Recently FINISHED and highly recommend:

Delirium  by Lauren Oliver (Dystopic future world where passion is suppresed through lobotomies. I gave it 5 stars; the author does a great job of allowing you to identify with the heroine even if you don't believe what she does. Similarities to books like Allie Condie's Matched (also 5 stars) and Lois Lowry's The Giver

Also recently finished Suzanne Collins' Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles Series #1) and -- for those of you who like Mary Stewart (romantic suspense), I also highly recommend:

The Winter Sea  by Susanna Kearsley (historical fiction author is drawn to a certain spot on the coast of Scotland; story alternates between past and present and explores the idea of genetic memory; an extremely satisfying conclusion)