AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Re: What is everyone reading (revisited)?

seasanddollar wrote:

kathylcsw wrote:

@AlanNJ how graphic are the Dexter books? I am tempted to read them but I guess I am a bit too sensitive for really graphic violence.

I'd love to know this also.  I've been dying to read them.  Also, are they exact storylines from the TV series?

They can get somewhat graphic but not nearly as graphic as other books I've read.  How's that for a non-commital answer?  :smileywink:  I think "graphic" is in the eye of the reader so I wouldn't even begin to judge the level.  Try one and see if it's too much for you.  From my point of view I find the books humorous more than anything else.  They're extremely droll.

Keep in mind I've never seen the TV series so I'm basing my opinion only on the books.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Correspondent
EffieTX
0 Kudos

Things That Keep Us Here  Someone months ago listed that they were reading this book...I put it on my wish list cause it was WAY TO EXPENSIVE at the time..

But it finally dropped down to $9.99 and I bought it last week.. and  I am really loving this book.. have not finished it yet, but so far its realy good so far.

The only bad thing is I just finished reading Hollowland and now reading this story and I think I am developing a real phobia about viruses and germs... and I work in a hospital .....

Author
LCEvans
0 Kudos

I'm reading:

The Naked Gardener 

I'm only about 10% in, but it's pretty good so far. It was recommended by a friend. I've had it for a few months and finally moved it to the top of my list. 

L.C. Evans

We Interrupt This Date 

The Witness Wore Blood Bay 

Night Camp 

Jobless Recovery 

Inspired Contributor
MiloSW
0 Kudos

i finished:

Caveat Emptor (Gaius Petreius Ruso Series #4) 

Now I'm reading:

The Scent of Rain and Lightning 

Frequent Contributor
Edison43
0 Kudos

...recommended reading -  Encounter at North Road House  on B&N NOOKbook - E-Book -

A masked, invicible psychopath Jason-type enters a house looking for another life to take, but the house is empty and haunted by ghostly spirits of wickedness.  The doors of the haunted house then lock shut and entrap the masked-killer - instantly, a war breaks out between the haunted elements of the house and the masked psychopath.

Inspired Contributor
nancybout
0 Kudos

I just read two dark hunter novels, from shertilyn kenuom. T a akingbreak and finishing up the Thirst.#3 AllGreat books.:smileyhappy:))
Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

Linger (Wolves of Mercy Falls Series #2)

Happy Reading :smileywink:

My Book Giveaways

http://www.darkangel88.com/

AlanNJ

Just started:

Dexter by Design (Dexter Series #4)

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

The First Wave (Billy Boyle World War II Mystery Series #2) 

From Publishers Weekly

In Benn's high-spirited second WWII mystery (after 2006's Billy Boyle), tough, earthy Boston cop turned army lieutenant Boyle hunkers down in a landing craft during the gripping first-wave attack to liberate Algeria in 1942. Once ashore, Boyle sets out on an intelligence mission to sort out the power struggle among Vichy French traitors, free French forces and German occupiers. Boyle is soon taken into custody and catches a glimpse of his ex-girlfriend Diana, a British spy on a similar mission. He returns to friendly territory in time to find that a sergeant's throat has been cut and vital morphine and penicillin supplies stolen. The enormous multinational cast makes it hard to determine a likely suspect, especially once Boyle uncovers a drug-smuggling network, American officers running poker parties and further murders of enlisted men, all somehow tied to a secret coded notebook. Historical figures like Adm. Jean Darlan give this lively story a bit of period flair. (Sept.) 
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

@ProfReader,

So you finished Electric Barracuda?  What did you think of it?

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Alan,

I sent you a PM.

AlanNJ wrote:

@ProfReader,

So you finished Electric Barracuda?  What did you think of it?

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

ProfReader,

Got it and I agree with you.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I am reading

In Free Fall

in DTB format,

Inspired Correspondent
SHissong
0 Kudos

Currently reading

Carved in Bone (Body Farm Series #1) 

I think this was a free one awhile back.

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Torment (Lauren Kate's Fallen Series #2)

Happy Reading :smileywink:

My Book Giveaways

http://www.darkangel88.com/

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Ruins 

Author
LCEvans

Jobless Recovery I'm reading 

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble, A Paranormal Romance / Urban Fantasy (Jolie Wilkins Series #1) 

Pretty good, so far. A warlock and a tarot reader are solving an old murder case. 

L.C. Evans

We Interrupt This Date 

The Witness Wore Blood Bay 

Night Camp 

Jobless Recovery 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Chinatown Beat 

From Publishers Weekly

At the start of Chang's promising debut, NYPD detective Jack Yu must cope with his father's recent death and investigate the rape of a grade-school girl on the fringes of Chinatown, where he grew up and has just been stationed. Meanwhile, would-be gangster Johnny Wong is carrying on with Mona, the gorgeous mistress of his employer, Uncle Four, head of the local branch of the Hip Ching tong and a powerful underworld figure in both New York and Hong Kong. As Yu digs deeper into his case, suspecting that an illegal Chinese immigrant may be the serial rapist he is seeking, he finds evidence of a connection between the rapist and the local gangsters. Though Chang builds less suspense than more seasoned police procedural authors, he presents a fascinating look at New York's Chinese-American urban community and its subcultures. (Nov.) 
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

New User
Alli-rules99
0 Kudos

Oh my gosh I love The Wheel of Time Series!  To anyone reading this, if your looking for an involving, descriptive series, you need to seriously take a look at this one.  Ive read all of the books that are out so far and they are invaluble to me.  A bit tedious though the second through fourth books may be, still, the writing quality is almost incomparable to many other books Ive read.  The world that Robert Jordan created is so detailed that I often found myself having vivid dreams of it.  Truely, I recomend these books with my whole heart and soul, theyre awesome.

In response to the original question in this thread, I am also reading the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of War and Peace.  True, I may be only thirteen, but I am thoroughly enjoying this book.  Really, when I calmly explained to my AP english teacher what I was reading, she told me with the utmost sincerity that it was more of a difficult book, but I can in no way relate to that.  Im not in any way criticizing the book, I am simply saying that for those who have been pondering the idea of looking into war and peace, do not hesitate.  Although I should warn you, I did read Anna Karenina before W&P, so that exposed me to his style of writing beforehand, and it takes a bit of adjusting to get fully involved in his books.  Three hundred pages left, and I can tell you that to the outside reader that does not follow the book and pay it it's due respect, you will find the writing relatively anti-climatic and dry, with a seemingly obsessive fixation on the thoughts and strong emotional reactions of the characters to society, situations, as well as the somewhat laughable occurance of their surprise and thoroughly analytical view of their own thoughts.  Overall though, definately a must-read.  I personally have found that Pevear and volokhonsky's translation is of better quality than others', but to each their own.  Happy Reading!

War and Peace 

Frequent Contributor
Edison43
0 Kudos

ProfReader wrote:

Chinatown Beat 

From Publishers Weekly

At the start of Chang's promising debut, NYPD detective Jack Yu must cope with his father's recent death and investigate the rape of a grade-school girl on the fringes of Chinatown, where he grew up and has just been stationed. Meanwhile, would-be gangster Johnny Wong is carrying on with Mona, the gorgeous mistress of his employer, Uncle Four, head of the local branch of the Hip Ching tong and a powerful underworld figure in both New York and Hong Kong. As Yu digs deeper into his case, suspecting that an illegal Chinese immigrant may be the serial rapist he is seeking, he finds evidence of a connection between the rapist and the local gangsters. Though Chang builds less suspense than more seasoned police procedural authors, he presents a fascinating look at New York's Chinese-American urban community and its subcultures. (Nov.) 
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.