Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Re: What is everyone reading (revisited)?

I posted a few posts back that I was reading a Free Friday book called

His Majesty's Dragon   . While my fantasy reading is limited to Tolkein, I have to say that I absolutely loved this book. Naomi Novik took the familiar a-boy-and-his-dog theme and wrote a British-naval-captain-and-his-dragon tale and answers the question (which nobody asked until now) of, "What if the armed forces had been able to use dragons in helping fight the Napoleonic wars?"

Ms. Novik's writing style covers it all from pathos to humor to warm and fuzzy to drama and intensity. I am going to read the rest of the series which I hope is not going to end anytime soon. I have also bought the entire series for my sister in law's birthday. She's a reader like I am.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: The Passage

Justin Cronin is coming to the LA Area:

Wednesday, July 21st—LOS ANGELES, CA
7:00 pm
Talk & Signing
Barnes & Noble
189 Grove Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Phone: (323) 525-0270

www.barnesandnoble.com

Great review of the book here, I didn't realize it was going to be a trilogy...

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Correspondent
bayboatin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm reading another freebie

Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan Series #1)

These aren't really my usual read, but I'm really enjoying it.

I haven't decided what's next. I'm on vacation in another week and think I'm going to go for something new - The Passage, Sizzling Sixteen, or The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - maybe even all 3 :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
PepaLou
0 Kudos

Ok, finished "Angelology" by Danielle Trussoni last night, and it was fantastic.  

I'm about to start:

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks 

Then after that, I'm going to revisit a childhood favorite:

Grimm's Fairy Tales (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) 

Brasil #1
Proud owner of "COUNT NOOKULA"!
Stop adding more crap to my nook! If I wanted a do it all POS, I would have bought an Ipad!
Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

I'm now reading the one freebie: 

Weddings Can Be Murder 

and when I'm done, I'll be reading this one: 

Idiot (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) 

Reader 4
bookhound_77
0 Kudos

Antill by E.O. Wilson.  Love it.

Anthill

Inspired Contributor
Sapphire329

I've finally decided to start The Passage. 

Inspired Contributor
moemac
0 Kudos

I am currently reading

The Privileges 

and then I have on deck

The Vintage Caper 

Both from the Boston Public Library.

"Don't parse the blurb"
Reader 2
a_cr04
0 Kudos

I've just finished Catching Fire, the 2nd novel in the Hunger Games trilogy.  It was amazing!!  I can't wait for the third one to come out in August.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

a_cr04 wrote:

I've just finished Catching Fire, the 2nd novel in the Hunger Games trilogy.  It was amazing!!  I can't wait for the third one to come out in August.

That was the last book I read before I started the passage.  It was great!!!  Can't wait for Mockingjay.  I am still reading the passage and am about half way thru. It is a great book and I wish i had more time to read it :-(

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Frequent Contributor
Tiss
0 Kudos

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Steig Larsson.  3rd in the trilogy although I read somewhere that he had a 4th book in the works when he died.  I really like these books however I have to wade through a lot of Swedish names that I'm not familiar with and have to keep placing the characters in the right place.  But I love the 2 main characters, Lisbeth Salander and Makael Blomkvist!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I just finished

The Passage 

and 

Heat Wave 

Both good books, Heat Wave was an easy read, The Passage, not quite as easy, but a page turner, for most of it.  The middle was a little tough, but it picked up again.  I'll be looking forward to the 2nd book.

Now trying to decide what to read next.  Light and Easy, fun, thriller, spy, mystery?  So many titles to choose from, how's a girl to make a decision.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Cover Image

This is not my usual type of book to read at all!  I recently visited Asheville, NC, and toured the Biltmore estate.  Cornelius Vanderbilt's descendants built this beautiful mansion, and there were a lot of references to Cornelius Vanderbilt during the tour.  

I was interested to learn more about him, but this book is so very detailed that I decide to put it away for now...but it really is interesting so I am still reading it.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

JdiennoPSU wrote:

a_cr04 wrote:

That was the last book I read before I started the passage.  It was great!!!  Can't wait for Mockingjay.  I am still reading the passage and am about half way thru. It is a great book and I wish i had more time to read it :-(

LOL  I warned you!  That is a really good but really, really long read!

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

(A reread - I needed something really light, but found what happens when you try to download via 3G and you lose your 3G connection before it completely downloads!)

On deck:

From the library

and then

The Neighbor (Detective D. D. Warren Series #3) 

Once they get the Overdrive/ADE problem fixed.  It's checked out, but that's it.

Inspired Contributor
moemac
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

I just finished

Heat Wave 

Both good books, Heat Wave was an easy read, The Passage, not quite as easy, but a page turner, for most of it.  The middle was a little tough, but it picked up again.  I'll be looking forward to the 2nd book.

I am a fan of Castle, but I haven't read Heat Wave yet. I am putting it on my to read list.

"Don't parse the blurb"
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Throne of Jade (Temeraire Series #2)  

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one that found the middle a bit tough to slog through lol.  Now that I'm at about 600 pages its picking up well and its back to being very good. 

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.