Inspired Contributor
NomDePlumeIL

Re: What is everyone reading?

I'm currently reading:

Ender's Game (Ender Wiggin Series #1)

There are a ton of books that I've always meant to read but just never got around to or I couldn't find the paperback any more, etc.  One of the great things about nook is that I can now go back and read these great books!!!  I love my nook.  After Ender, I plan on reading:

Foundation (Foundation Series #1)

and

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide Series #1)  

Like a lot of other's I just read The Dark Tide by Andrew Gross. I have to say I was very disappointed. It was boring and the writing just wasn't very good. I'm surprised this same author has a best seller to his name. Something must have gone wrong when he wrote this one.

Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb

The Karin Slaughter series is excellent...and yes, read them in order.  Also read the side books Triptych and Fractured before reading Undone because she weaves them all together.  I can't say enough about this series and yes a new book is coming out next month.  Tess Gerritsen is also a good in order read too and also has a new book in her series coming out next month...but highly recommend Slaughter.

Currently I am reading The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker...very well written and different.

Keep looking at Brunonia Barry's Map of True Places and Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok...but both that 12.99 bugaboo price.  Actually if you go through the New York Times Best Seller listing for eBooks the first couple pages almost all are over 9.99.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

NomDePlumeIL wrote:

I'm currently reading:

Ender's Game (Ender Wiggin Series #1)

There are a ton of books that I've always meant to read but just never got around to or I couldn't find the paperback any more, etc.  One of the great things about nook is that I can now go back and read these great books!!!  I love my nook.  After Ender, I plan on reading:

I have always wanted to read the enders saga... that is on my list for hopefully sometime this summer!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

I just finished Alter of Eden by James Rollins.  Thanks to whoever recommended it was a good book.  I've recommended to a couple of friends.

Altar of Eden 

I've now moved on to the latest Stone Barrington book by Stuart Woods.  I always enjoy these.

Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington Series #18)

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Inspired Contributor
luny2ns

I just finished reading "The Things That Keep Us Here."  It was very good and I could not put it down!

Things That Keep Us Here

Correspondent
EffieTX

I am now reading FACE by Angela Hunt... really a very interesting read.

Linda

Correspondent
EffieTX
0 Kudos

That book, Things that Keep Us Here, looks very interesting.. but the ebook costs more then the hardback?   Why would I pay that much for a book I can't share with anyone, or resell? I may purchase it as a hardback but more then likely will wait for the paperback version..

Inspired Contributor
luny2ns
0 Kudos

I wanted this book so bad but I would not pay the price.  I kept checking back at B&N and Sony but the price never came back.  I bought a $100 worth of the Sony gift cards when they were on sale at Target, so I finally bought it there.  I figured with the discounted card, I paid around $10.  Otherwise, I would have broke down and checked out the dtb from my public library.

Frequent Contributor
crafty4life

Just started The Ark.  I saw the reviews on this and it hooked me in! But since it is more than the $9.99, I got it from the library instead of ebook.  I hope it lives up to the reviews!

The Ark 

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140

I am in the middle of Dracula.  It's one that I've always wanted to read so when I got it free with my nook I knew I absolutely had to read it. 

I am also reading  How To Make A Serial Killer by Christopher Berry-Dee and Steven Morris.  It was a paperback I've had sitting around forever and never gotten around to.  Not too bad, but I've definately read better on the subject.

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

luny2ns wrote:

I wanted this book so bad but I would not pay the price.  I kept checking back at B&N and Sony but the price never came back.  I bought a $100 worth of the Sony gift cards when they were on sale at Target, so I finally bought it there.  I figured with the discounted card, I paid around $10.  Otherwise, I would have broke down and checked out the dtb from my public library.

Which book are you talking about?

Correspondent
EffieTX
0 Kudos

She is talking about "Things that Keep Us Here".  

Things That Keep Us Here  

The ebook is like $18.80 and the hardcover is $18.00.  Makes no sense at all, the pricing.

Distinguished Correspondent
Coanda-1910

I decided I needed to find more authors, having read most of the ebooks B&N had by authors I already was following which were priced reasonably. Normally this is a somewhat expensive proposition for me - even with my best judgment, I simply don't finish about one book in four by authors I've never read before, and half the remaining authors I decide aren't worth keeping track of in the future. This time around I had a nook, so (perhaps unwisely) I decided to at least try every author in the Baen Free Library. All... 46... of... them. I finished yesterday.

I think my favorite of the bunch was On Basilisk Station by David Weber. Space Opera sci-fi at it's finest; a great blend of Gene Roddenberry and Patrick O'Brien. I picked it up around 11 PM, promptly lost track of time, and before I knew it I'd finished the book and it was 4 in the morning.

The other major high points of my grand investigation were...

• Doc Sidhe by Aaron Allston; quick-moving, suspenseful, carefully crafted fantasy drawing on Irish mythology, Roaring Twenties America, and a healthy dose of the author's own imagination.
  • Forward the Mage by Eric Flint and Richard Roach. Absurdist humor and satire of the "traditional fantasy setting," with truly remarkable wordsmithing on display.
  • The Shadow of the Lion by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint, and David Freer. Very slow to get going (as in, about half the 650-page book in setup), but with carefully crafted characters I enjoyed, and a remarkably detailed and enjoyable conception of a magically-influenced 1530s Venice.
  • Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Elizabeth Moon. Actually three books tied together. Very much a standard swords-and-sorcery fantasy, with a meticulously crafted setting and excellent storytelling.
  • With the Lightnings by David Drake. Sci-fiwhich wanders around between two extremely thoroughly thought-out characters, an engaging backstory about interstellar competition and backstabbing, and adrenaline-filled action. It's set in a promising galaxy divided into fringe worlds, dark empire, and grey empire.

Now I'll be going back and reading more books from those authors for a while. Sooner or later the A5 will get their act together; meanwhile I estimate I just found easily 100 Baen books I'll enjoy buying and reading.

Inspired Contributor
luny2ns
0 Kudos

I am sorry, I was referring to m earlier post, "The Thigs That Keep Us Here".  A fantastic book!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

crafty4life wrote:

Just started The Ark.  I saw the reviews on this and it hooked me in! But since it is more than the $9.99, I got it from the library instead of ebook.  I hope it lives up to the reviews!

The Ark 

Come back and let us know how this one is.  I saw it when I was at B&N last week and it looked intriguing.  If I can't find it the library, I have money left on my last discounted Sony gift card.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Honor Harrington

Coanda-1910 wrote:

I think my favorite of the bunch was On Basilisk Station by David Weber.

In addition to the few Honor Harrington titles that are free directly from Baen, you can download Baen's promotional CDs from The Fifth Imperium. These are being distributed with the blessing of Baen.

If you download the At All Costs CD, you'll get essentially the entire Honor Harrington collection. 11 novels, the 4 "Worlds of Honor" short story collections, and 2 "Honorverse" novels: Crown of Slaves and Shadow of Saganami. There's a bunch of other stuff from Baen authors on there, too. You'll need to convert these from .LIT to .EPUB using Calibre or the like.

To say that Baen surprises me with their generosity is an understatement.

Frequent Contributor
YvonneReviews

What is everyone reading?

[ Edited ]

I just started my first Jane Austen book.

Pride and Prejudice (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)

Click to join EReaders Unite!
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie

YvonneReviews wrote:

I'm reading

Making Rounds with Oscar

My daughter who is a doctor in a hospice care facility is reading it now.  She loves it, but she is going through a lot of kleenex.  It is not lendable, but I'll read it from her nook when I visit her soon.

I'm reading Key of Knowledge, the second in a trilogy by Nora Roberts.  I love her books.

Frequent Contributor
YvonneReviews
0 Kudos

TXAnnie wrote:

YvonneReviews wrote:

I'm reading

Making Rounds with Oscar

My daughter who is a doctor in a hospice care facility is reading it now.  She loves it, but she is going through a lot of kleenex.  It is not lendable, but I'll read it from her nook when I visit her soon.

I'm reading Key of Knowledge, the second in a trilogy by Nora Roberts.  I love her books.

Oscar was a good book.  Definitely a tearjerker.

I haven't read a Nora Roberts book in a long time, but I love her books.

Click to join EReaders Unite!