Frequent Contributor
crafty4life

Re: What is everyone reading?

Deliver Us From Evil - David Baldacci

Excellent read! I'm still pretty stung on the $14.95, but at least it was great entertainment. I see it was down to $12.99 already.   I'm starting to read Down to the Wire which is getting interesting.

Deliver Us from Evil 

Down to the Wire  

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Brad_W wrote:

Altar of Eden

A fun thriller that is hard to . . . Ok, I was going to say "Put down", but that doesn't really work for eBooks does it? 

So how would you phrase the 'unputtadownable' quality of an eBook? 

Since I put my nook down and let it put itself to sleep, I would say that "hard to put down" is still an apt description.  :smileyhappy:

Nallia
0 Kudos

sub_rosa wrote:

It's a great book - and I'm about 3/4 finished.  It's set in 1962 Mississippi, focusing on the lives of three different women:  two of them are "the help" in the sense that they are black women working as maids in white women's houses.  They are referred by the white folk as "the help."  The other main character is a white woman who is an aspiring writer, who doesn't like the racial attitudes and blatant unfairness of the segregated south. 

I love this book because I grew up in the south - neither my mother, grandmother, nor anyone I knew had a maid (black or otherwise), but the words, and phrases, and accent/dialect are very familiar - it reminds me of home.  There has been some controversy over the author using the accurate "black" dialect of the time, as if it's racist or something.  But this has the same kind of southern authenticity that you find in Faulkner, Flannery O'Connor, and Robert Penn Warren.  I find there is nothing offensive whatever in this book - if anything, white women could complain that they are mostly portrayed as spoiled, bigoted, and ignorant.

Lots of humor and heartbreak in this one.

Thanks!  I just placed it on hold at my library.  :smileyhappy:

Nallia
0 Kudos

JdiennoPSU wrote:

Still reading

Angelology  which I have been reading forever due to finals and trying to graduate (one week today if I might add!).  Next I have no clue what I am going to read as I have so many books on my TBR list

I keep thinking about reading this, but it's slightly outside my preferred genre.  I usually prefer Epic Fantasy and I'm not all that into angels and other supernatural creatures.  But it got such great reviews and looks like it's an interesting story, so I keep debating...

Correspondent
EffieTX

Watermark  by Vanitha Lankaran.  I am really enjoying this book..and its priced right...

Linda

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Brad_W wrote:

Altar of Eden

A fun thriller that is hard to . . . Ok, I was going to say "Put down", but that doesn't really work for eBooks does it? 

Sounds interesting, but it's above my price point, sorry, a book by any of my favorite authors, I'd hesitate at that price.  For an author I've never read, not happening.  But, I'll put it in my wishlist for the future. 

Funny thing, when I searched for it using Inkmesh and addall, both reported no matches even though BN, Sony and Amazon all have it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

Nallia wrote:

JdiennoPSU wrote:

Still reading

Angelology  which I have been reading forever due to finals and trying to graduate (one week today if I might add!).  Next I have no clue what I am going to read as I have so many books on my TBR list

I keep thinking about reading this, but it's slightly outside my preferred genre.  I usually prefer Epic Fantasy and I'm not all that into angels and other supernatural creatures.  But it got such great reviews and looks like it's an interesting story, so I keep debating...

@Nallia

I felt pretty much about it they way you do.  I ended up buying it because I'd had my eye on it, and I was showing my Mom how easy it is to buy a book online.

Moral of the story:  be careful of your Nook tomorrow, if you're at your Mom's! :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
YvonneReviews

Bibliophile
bklvr896

I just finished Life, Love and a Polar Bear Tattoo, which is one of the free books.  It was a surprisingly enjoyable and easy read. Glad I decided to read it.

Life, Love, and a Polar Bear Tattoo

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

[ Edited ]

I'm actually just finishing up "Bramwell Valley" which was free (but apparently not any more).  Not bad.  Not the greatest book I've ever read but it's keeping me occupied.   Sometimes fluff is good.

Bramwell Valley

I also just finished another book I had gotten for free that I was not very impressed with:

The Dark Tide

I'm actually expecting some library books to become available any day now so figured fluff would be good time killers.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Bibliophile
bklvr896

I also just finished another book I had gotten for free that I was not very impressed with:

The Dark Tide

I'm actually expecting some library books to become available any day now so figured fluff would be good time killers.

Good to know.  I'll keep that one in reserve and see how it goes when I get around to it.  I think I'm moving now to a DTB, Edge of Danger by Jack Higgins. I enjoy his Sean Dillon series and I think this is #9 and he just finished 17, so I have most of them from the used book store.  I checked the libraries, but no one had any of the older books.  Oh well, I can read a DTB once in a while.

Nallia
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

The Dark Tide

Good to know.  I'll keep that one in reserve and see how it goes when I get around to it.  I think I'm moving now to a DTB, Edge of Danger by Jack Higgins. I enjoy his Sean Dillon series and I think this is #9 and he just finished 17, so I have most of them from the used book store.  I checked the libraries, but no one had any of the older books.  Oh well, I can read a DTB once in a while.

LOL  I currently have over 30 DTBs on my shelves to read because I still buy them as much as I used to.  :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Brad_W wrote:

Altar of Eden

I got this one when it was free, haven't read it yet though so I'm glad to hear it's good!

Currently reading:

The 8th Confession (Women's Murder Club Series #8)

Then it's on to

The 9th Judgment (Women's Murder Club Series #9)

Now

Altar of Eden

Is going to be after that...  Thanks Brad_W

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover

"What is everyone reading?" 

You mean aside from reading this forum???

As for books:

Cell phone (Mobipocket from the library): Just starting Cat and Mouse by James Patterson.

Cat and Mouse by James Patterson: Book Cover

Audiobook in the car:  Just After Sunset by Stephen King

Just after Sunset by Stephen King: CD Audiobook Cover

Audiobook in the house:  An Echo in the Bone (#7 of the Outlander series) by Diana Gabaldon

Nook:  (Umm, do I have to tell?  I'm actually embarrassed to admit this one!)  All-American Girl by Meg Cabot.  Yes, a teen book. 

All-American Girl by Meg Cabot: Download Cover

See, the problem is that 10 days ago, I put a hold on Grisham's The Partner through the library.  I know that this library only checks out books for 14 days and I know that I am the only person on the wait list.  So I know I will be getting the email within the next few days that says The Partner is ready.  Until then, I keep checking out short fluff books just to keep me entertained, but since they only take about a day or two for me to read, it won't cut into my 14-day limit that I will have once The Partner becomes available.

Oh hush.  My wrinkles and my graying hair might not indicate that I'm a teenager, but I still act like one!

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

I finished Outlander on Wedneday night...

Nallia (or do you prefer to be called Athena?):

So, you finished Outlander.  Did you like it enough to continue the series?  It's one of the very few books I've read several times.  I can see how not everyone would like it...but I count it as one of my favorites.  The next book in the series is Dragonfly in Amber. 

Nallia
0 Kudos

DiAnneInDover wrote:

Nallia wrote:

I finished Outlander on Wedneday night...

Nallia (or do you prefer to be called Athena?):

So, you finished Outlander.  Did you like it enough to continue the series?  It's one of the very few books I've read several times.  I can see how not everyone would like it...but I count it as one of my favorites.  The next book in the series is Dragonfly in Amber. 

Either name works.  :smileyhappy:

I have Dragonfly in Amner on hold at the library.  I did enjoy Outlander, though I don't think I'm going to by the series right now.  I already own too many books that I still need to read!  :smileywink:

Finished this one this morning:

Oath of Fealty

Then I read this one this afternoon:

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

It was a great book and I can't wait for the second to be released!

I was feeling a bit nostalgic about my books today, so just picked this one up off my shelf:

Dragonlance

Inspired Contributor
Sapphire329
0 Kudos

I also read the Outlander series and enjoyed it. However, I am having a hard time completing Echo in the Bone

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

Sapphire329 wrote:

I also read the Outlander series and enjoyed it. However, I am having a hard time completing Echo in the Bone

I really struggled with the first hundred pages or so.  It just seemed to start out so freakin' slow.  Since Nallia is still gonna read the rest of the series (I'll force her!!) I won't spoil anything.  But it does get better.  it's still not one of my favorite books of hers, but I gotta read it just to know what is happening.  I'm on disc 14 of 40, so I'm not even halfway through it.  My mom read Echo just before I did and she kept saying "you're not going to believe all that has happened!" in the second half of the book, so I know it's gonna really get good. 

Inspired Contributor
Sapphire329
0 Kudos

That's what one of my coworkers said as well but I can't seem to get to that point. I actually have the hardcover book because I bought it the day it came out in October so I know what happens in the end :smileyvery-happy:.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Michael Harvey's "The Chicago Way", Michael Kelly Detective Series Book 1.  This is one of those good marketing strategies, the book is $1.99.  I'm enjoying the book which means I'll probably buy the other 3 eventually.  

The Chicago Way (Michael Kelly Series #1)

ooooo. And written by the guy who does the show Cold Case. I guess I'll be getting this one too.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain