Inspired Contributor
JohnP51

Re: What is everyone reading?

Moving on to #4 of the series. This series just gets better with each book. And this book includes naval battles. While the Napoleanic era and naval warfare are not within my usual scope of reading, this series is converting me quickly. At least as far as Bernard Cornwell is concerned.

Sharpe's Trafalgar (Sharpe Series #4)

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Reader
NANOOKNM

Thanks for the good idea.

I recently read "Shutter Island" "My Life in France(Julia Child)", and 2 books in the #1 female detective series, set in Africa. It's quite a variety, but I enjoyed all. 

Frequent Contributor
crafty4life

I am reading Angelology.  Wow, very very interesting and "unputdownable".  I fell asleep with my Nook easel last night reading it. LOL  (By the way--LOVING my Nook "Industrial Easel" cover.)  I am about 1/4 through book and it's really holding my interest.  Very mysterious keeps me wondering what will happen next.  It is not my typical genre, but looked good and so far I am not disappointed!

Angelology   

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr

Just finished

Foundation

Foundation and Empire (Foundation Series #2)  

And am finishing up the 3rd in the original series Second Foundation.

I've also downloaded the free book and started reading this one by Robin Hobb.

Dragon Keeper Free Edition with Bonus Material

Although, I'm about to "go back" and read some other series of hers first then come back to Dragon Keeper.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Well,

Altar of Eden  has to wait.  I'm reading some of my library books instead (I've returned some of them 3 times already because I didn't get to them).

Now reading

Homicide in Hardcover (Bibliophile Series #1)  It's light and funny and is just what I wanted right now!  Not one I would have probably ever purchased, I love the library access!

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa

"The Great Hunt" by Robert Jordan.  Ok, I'm a little late to the game, but catching up tortoise-style.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Frequent Contributor
YvonneReviews

I just started...

7th Heaven (Women's Murder Club Series #7)

Click to join EReaders Unite!
Frequent Contributor
bilbravo

I'm currently reading "Airframe" by Michael Crichton.  I have read most of his books but missed this one.

Airframe 

I am also currently reading through the volume 1 of Sherlock Holmes.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)

- Zach
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

sub_rosa wrote:

"The Great Hunt" by Robert Jordan.  Ok, I'm a little late to the game, but catching up tortoise-style.

I wouldn't call you late, since the series still isn't finished!

Bibliophile
bklvr896

[ Edited ]

I'm currently the middle of Alter of Eden.  So far it a good read, I'm enjoying it and finding it difficult to put down.  Trying to decide what to read next.

Altar of Eden 

I saw a couple of B&N yesterday that looked interesting, and FrogAlum, I've looked at Homicide in Hardcover before, maybe I'll check the library for that one.  BTW, along those same lines is a series called the Home Improvement Series, which is probably along similar lines.

That Robert Jordan Series looks interesting, I may pick up the first one at some point.  

I love this thread, I wish they'd make it a sticky.  It's a great way to find new books to read.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

I'm waiting for the next Vince Flynn book, I have read all his others, they are terrific political thrillers. Also Horse Soldiers, what a great book.

Scribe
03FLHT2

I finished the Whore of Babylon, what a story, not the best written.  A mother or father worse fear for their children.  I could feel her pain and fear through out the read.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

[ Edited ]

schatzieWI wrote:

I'm waiting for the next Vince Flynn book, I have read all his others, they are terrific political thrillers. Also Horse Soldiers, what a great book.

For the heck of it, I opened Tom Clancy's Executive Orders just to see how many nook pages it is, 5,808!  LOL  I keep thinking I need to read Vince Flynn...

Thanks bklvr for the recomendation, I'll check into it, sometimes you just want something light to read...  :smileyhappy:

@YvonneReviews I just reread the entire series, I really enjoy that one.  9th Judgment (the newest) was a good one.

Still reading the library books (I have 5 more to read!)

Decked (Regan Reilly Series #1)  then it's on to

Snagged (Regan Reilly Series #2)  if I like the first one.  She is a totally new author to me.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb

Carol Higgins Clark is the daughter of Mary Higgins Clark, the mystery writer.  They've also co-written some books with a holiday theme.  Mary's books don't tend to repeat characters and are more complicated.  Carol's repeat the characters and are lighter with some humor.  I haven't read the new CHC yet - waiting on the price to go down or for my library to get it.

I just finished Patterson's 1st to Die.  Someone has books 2-4 checked out of the library, so I'm on the waiting list.  Probably someone I told about the Arlington Public Library:smileymad:!

I'm also reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe on my nook while my 6th graders read the book.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

gqb wrote:

Carol Higgins Clark is the daughter of Mary Higgins Clark, the mystery writer.  They've also co-written some books with a holiday theme.  Mary's books don't tend to repeat characters and are more complicated.  Carol's repeat the characters and are lighter with some humor.  I haven't read the new CHC yet - waiting on the price to go down or for my library to get it.

I just finished Patterson's 1st to Die.  Someone has books 2-4 checked out of the library, so I'm on the waiting list.  Probably someone I told about the Arlington Public Library:smileymad:!

I'm also reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe on my nook while my 6th graders read the book.

The Women's Murder Club is good but you do want to read it in order, especially the first few titles.

LOL  Out of all the NTX libraries it's funny that Arlington has the one the best selections any where, it beats LA, that's for sure!  Of course, the revenue from the Ballpark and the Jerry World Palace don't hurt! 

Frequent Contributor
crafty4life

Finished Down to the Wire - it was pretty good, an easy read.  Nice twisty ending.

I just started Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter.  It is book one in her series about Grant County.  It looks like there are 5 or so in the series, with Broken coming out soon.  So far this book grabbed my attention and I haven't been able to stop reading it!  More on the medical examiner style of suspense though, so a little gory-but keeps you reading.

Blindsighted 

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

The Women's Murder Club is good but you do want to read it in order, especially the first few titles.

Is this series something a guy would like also?  I have heard people talking about it but call me sexist but the women's in the title leads me to believe it is for woman.  I am a recent college grad (Fri) and was wondering if it something I should look into reading.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

You could choose something else by James Patterson like the three Michael Bennett books or look into the J.P. Beaumont series by J.A. Jance. 

Of course, it depends on you.  The "murder club" involves four women trying to move ahead in their fields. 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

JdiennoPSU wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

Is this series something a guy would like also?  I have heard people talking about it but call me sexist but the women's in the title leads me to believe it is for woman.  I am a recent college grad (Fri) and was wondering if it something I should look into reading.

That really is a bit misleading, many of the recurring characters are male.  Check it out of the library, can't go wrong there!

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

I'm currently reading:

Executive Privilege

So far I'm not really impressed.  I've read better.  But it was worth getting for free so I'm not complaining.

Anyone else read this one yet?  I'm willing to have my opinion changed.

►Without order there is chaos◄