Contributor
Nookmomof3

Re: What is everyone reading?

Oh my goodness, I have always been a bookworm, but getting my Nook for Mother's Day has really brought this up several notches. I have read 6 books since Mother's Day and I have 3 kids and am taking 3 college classes. :smileyvery-happy:

I just finished "Saving CeeCee Honeycutt" by Beth Hoffman last night. This morning I began reading "The Host" by Stephanie Meyer. I am only on chapter 4 but so far I LOVE it! I was a bit apprehensive because I am not a "Twilight" fan. This book is a great read!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Now about 2/3 way through Mary Clay's The Turtle Mound Murder which I got for free from Smashwords during "Read an Ebook Week".

I enjoyed Mary Clay's The Turtle Mound Murder, the first of a series.  cover

Nice cozy with an authentic Southern/beach flavor. I left a review at the link.

I read Frank Rawlins' mystery NormNorm cover

I wasn't particularly impressed, and I had to edit the EPUB file to make it legible. I left a review at the link.

Now I'm reading John Ringo's Into the Looking Glass, the first of a series.  

After getting through the opening bit, I'm enjoying the humorous writing style. Vicious alien creatures may be invading Earth, but that's no reason to be a grump.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover

Unfortunately, the only thing I'm reading lately is a bunch of boring psychiatric medication notes on the computer screen.  Why, oh why, must I be forced to actually work for a living?  It seriously cuts into my reading time!

I've had Grisham's The Partner for almost a week.  It's not a very big book, and I'm still only on page 110 (so about one-third of the way through).  It's very interesting and I'm loving it, but between preparing for a graduation party, trying desperately to clean the house, and get my work caught up, I'm lucky if I can squeeze in 20 pages a day.  Ugh. 

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Right now I'm rereading the Mistborn trilogy.  I'm currently on book 2, The Well of Ascension.  I'm waiting for the two books I ordered last night to get here and then I'll read those:

Lamentation (Psalms of Isaak Series #1)

Canticle (Psalms of Isaak Series #2)

Frequent Contributor
violetangel

After reading The Happiness Project, Voluntary Madness, and Living Oprah in succession, I've had enough of the "project memoir" genre for quite a while.

I read Chely Wright's autobiography Like Me in under a day.  I highly recommend it.  It is beautifully written - and she wrote every word.  She'd originally wanted a ghost writer, but they didn't/wouldn't give her one (she told us at the reading/signing in NYC the other night).

The Art of Racing in the Rain was good, but I wish someone had warned me that it was sad.  The first chapter had me in tears because it was so similar to the situation we had with my dad's dog.  And then later in the book the dog ate pancakes, just like my dad's Prince.  :smileysad:

Currently I'm reading The Air Between Us.  Trying to decide how I like this one.  I don't really love it, but I'm too far in to just stop reading now.

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb

Currently reading "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" by Helen Simpson. Very genteel and well written English novel.

Inspired Correspondent
SHissong

I have been a Stephen King fan for a long time and always wanted to read this.  I decided to read the uncut version.  I am about halfway through and well worth the read.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover

SHissong wrote:

I have been a Stephen King fan for a long time and always wanted to read this.  I decided to read the uncut version.  I am about halfway through and well worth the read.

Me, too!!  I have one huge double bookcase that is just filled with nothing but King first editions and limited editions.  Although I am not a fan of horror, Stephen King's storytelling and characterization makes me tolerate the few books with horror just because I know I'll fall in love with the characters.  The Stand is King's best, in my opinion.  The "cut" (not abridged, just heavily back in 1978 by his publisher/editor because they didn't think he was a popular enough author to be able to sell a huge book) version has not been available since the "uncut" version became available in 1990.  I read the uncut version first, then listened to the 1978 version on audio. 

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee

Just finished reading Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs -

Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson Series #5) 

Starting The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker -

The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker 

Linda

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69

Nallia wrote:

Right now I'm rereading the Mistborn trilogy.  I'm currently on book 2, The Well of Ascension.  I'm waiting for the two books I ordered last night to get here and then I'll read those:

Lamentation (Psalms of Isaak Series #1)

Canticle (Psalms of Isaak Series #2)

Was looking for something fun to read and stumbled upon this thread and saw your post of the two books above.  I completely judged them by their covers (are you allowed to do that?) and downloaded the free sample of Lamentation to my Nook and liked it a lot.  Just bought it and hope it is a good one.  Thanks for the idea.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Correspondent
EffieTX

I am currently reading "Seeing me naked" by Liza Palmer... and really enjoying it...

I am reading the paperback .... paid $3.33 for it... ebook was priced at $9.99.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

What is this "paperback" of which you speak?  :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51

After finishing #6 in Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series, I decided to check out his Starbuck series. I'm in book one right now and so far, it is typical Cornwell. And that's a good thing:

Rebel (Nathaniel Starbuck Chronicles #1)

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover

AlanNJ wrote:

What is this "paperback" of which you speak?  :smileywink:

Oooh!!  I know, I know!!

It's one of those things that should be more expensive than an eBook instead of the other way around.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Bits of data should cost less than paper and glue?  What rabbit hole did you fall through, D?

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb

I just finished "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" and can highly recommend it as a well-written and very enjoyable novel.

I am now reading "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" by Stieg Larsson. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books. I had read that he had 10 books for this series outlined and had written the three and those were turned into his publisher before his untimely death at 50. His longtime gf has some extensive notes and roughs of the fourth book.  I do feel so cheated we will never know how the story of Lisbeth and Mikael would have played out over 10 books.  In a review I read on Hornet's Nest it was the reviewers observation that the last two books could have been one manuscript torn in half...the third book picks up immediately where the second book ended with Lisbeth in the hospital where she spends most of her time in this last book.

Frog...please let us know what you think of "Solar"!  I have this one already downloaded on my Nook.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I have "Hornets Nest" sitting on my Nook waiting to be read.  I have to finish a Nelson DeMille library book first though.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
Trebro

Not a lot of time to read "book books" because I'm preparing to move, but I'm enjoying Dracula for the first time ever.  I'd read Frankenstein like 3 times before, but never this classic.

Glad I'm getting to it now, it's a great read!

-Rob

Inspired Wordsmith
NJMetal

[ Edited ]

Just finished Sag Harbor  and now I'm blowing through Columbine .  The former a great great summer read and the later is shaping up to be a classic work of non-fiction.  Both titles compliments of my local public ebook library and overdrive.com!

Sag Harbor 

Columbine  

"We always condemn most in others, that which we fear most in ourselves." -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance