Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

What is everyone reading?

We haven't done this in a while, and I thought it would be fun.  I love getting ideas from everyone!  :smileyhappy:

I finished Outlander on Wedneday night, and read this yesterday:

Burned (House of Night Series #7)

I started this one this afternoon:

Oath of Fealty

I'm also reading Iliad, by Dan Simmons, and will be starting The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms when I'm done with Oath of Fealty.

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

Contributor
forks

Re: What is everyone reading?

I just finished reading Tuesday

Everlasting Kiss 

Now I am reading... :smileyvery-happy:

Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire Series #5) 

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment

Starfist #12   Firestorm

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Firestorm/David-Sherman/e/9780345500502/?itm=19&USRI=starfist+serie...

Firestorm (Starfist Series #12) by David Sherman, Dan Cragg

NEW FROM BN.COM

$7.99 List price

$6.39 eBook Price

(You Save 20%)

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa

[ Edited ]

"Too Big to Fail" by Sorkin, dead-tree edition, and "The Help" by Stockett, on the Nook.  Both courtesy of my local library.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

sub_rosa wrote:

"Too Big to Fail" by Sorkin, dead-tree edition, and "The Help" by Stockett, on the Nook.  Both courtesy of my local library.

What do you think of The Help?  I've been thinking of reading it.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa

[ Edited ]

It's a great book - and I'm about 3/4 finished.  It's set in 1962 Mississippi, focusing on the lives of three different women:  two of them are "the help" in the sense that they are black women working as maids in white women's houses.  They are referred by the white folk as "the help."  The other main character is a white woman who is an aspiring writer, who doesn't like the racial attitudes and blatant unfairness of the segregated south. 

I love this book because I grew up in the south - neither my mother, grandmother, nor anyone I knew had a maid (black or otherwise), but the words, and phrases, and accent/dialect are very familiar - it reminds me of home.  There has been some controversy over the author using the accurate "black" dialect of the time, as if it's racist or something.  But this has the same kind of southern authenticity that you find in Faulkner, Flannery O'Connor, and Robert Penn Warren.  I find there is nothing offensive whatever in this book - if anything, white women could complain that they are mostly portrayed as spoiled, bigoted, and ignorant.

Lots of humor and heartbreak in this one.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,004

[ Edited ]

Recently read K. K. Beck's The Revenge of Kali-Ra  (one of my Sony gift card purchases) and Fahim Farook's riotous Honest, the Martian Ate Your Dog.

Now about 2/3 way through Mary Clay's The Turtle Mound Murder which I got for free from Smashwords during "Read an Ebook Week".

Scribe
JdiennoPSU

Still reading

Angelology  which I have been reading forever due to finals and trying to graduate (one week today if I might add!).  Next I have no clue what I am going to read as I have so many books on my TBR list

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb

The Help is an excellent book...also check out Kitchen House and Wench (read both those on my Nook) and would recommend them also.

I just finished Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire...now reading Saving CeeCee Honeycutt.

Frequent Contributor
YvonneReviews

I'm reading

Making Rounds with Oscar

Click to join EReaders Unite!
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

The title of this thread should be "what is everyone ereading?" Anyway, I have read Under the Dome and The Stand by Stephen King. His dead tree books are so thick and heavy they are very uncomfortable to read, but the nook eliminates that problem.

Frequent Contributor
elsie_kev

Circle Trilogy 3 in 1   

This is actually 3 novels in 1 book. I am now reading the 3rd novel called WHITE.  I am almost finished with this, then I will read bood 4 in the series, called GREEN.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa

schatzieWI wrote:

The title of this thread should be "what is everyone ereading?"

<eyeroll>

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51

I'm continuing my way through Bernard Cornwell's books. I just love them. Right now I'm on his Sharpe series having just finished Sharpe;s Fortress and will begin:

Sharpe's Trafalgar (Sharpe Series #4) 

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
B&N Bookseller
Brad_W

Altar of Eden

A fun thriller that is hard to . . . Ok, I was going to say "Put down", but that doesn't really work for eBooks does it? 

So how would you phrase the 'unputtadownable' quality of an eBook? 

With purpose and on purpose
Scribe
JdiennoPSU

maybe "turn off" or "put to sleep"

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb

I finished The Help (highly recommend) and tried to start The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.  Since it's near the end of the school year, I'm having trouble focusing on it, so I put it aside and am rereading Sue Grafton's "S is for Silence" which I got for as part of a group bundle of QRST for under $8 before the April 1 price hike (now $27.99). 

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Michael Harvey's "The Chicago Way", Michael Kelly Detective Series Book 1.  This is one of those good marketing strategies, the book is $1.99.  I'm enjoying the book which means I'll probably buy the other 3 eventually.  

The Chicago Way (Michael Kelly Series #1)

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

@Brad_W

I think "hard to put down" still works. :smileyvery-happy:

$15 is a little hard to cough up, though!

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

You sold me. :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+