Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

What is "Christian Fiction?"

[ Edited ]

I see that a book that is currently free, "When the Devil Whistles", is categorized as "Christian Fiction."  What differentiates this genre from just plain old "Fiction?"  Is there a lot of bible stuff in it, or prayers?  The writeup for the book did not make it appear to be different from any other fiction title. 

Correspondent
kivvie
0 Kudos

Re: What is "Christian Fiction?"

Usually, Christian Fiction denotes that the author tends to follow a more Christian idea when creating the story -- focusing on the battle of good and evil, refraining from sex, vulgarity, etc. If you are often offended by the lack of Christian ethics in fiction (due to promiscuity, etc), this might be a genre you would be interested in.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
LAX_observer
0 Kudos

As already mentioned, the main difference you would notice is the more respectful language  and avoidance of anything that's not within the parameters of keeping with the Christian faith. Many times a lot of "Endtimes" or apocalyptic novels are thrown into this genre after they inevitably roll into talk of the Rapture and what will happen to the people left behind. If you'd like to read some fiction that isn't vulgar and holds itself to higher standards than what is currently out there in the short story/novel world I'd suggest picking up a few books that call themselves Christian fiction. I also just got When the Devil Whistles and hope its a good read. Other books I'd like to mention and suggest would be Apocalypse Dawn (Left Behind  Left Behind  

Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

I enjoy stuff by Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/ted-dekker?store=ebook

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/frank-peretti?page=results&domain=search&pos=&box=&store=ebook&keywo...

Both men write good thrillers and some fantasy stuff.  Frank also does some childrens books.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback, and the link to the previous discussion on this.  I am wondering why books that are not religious themed, i.e., deal with specific stuff in the bible, really need to be labeled as Christian Fiction.  By doing so an author or publisher seems to be narrowing their audience, as there are many folks who will ignore these books.

Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

This is a true statement, but conversly it's easier to find a fiction book without vulgarity or sex if it is in the "Christian Fiction" catagory.  Also, most of these titles are published by Christian publishing company.  These companies also publish non-fiction, Bible studies, Bibles and other types of Christian literature.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

DCLOVELL wrote:

This is a true statement, but conversly it's easier to find a fiction book without vulgarity or sex if it is in the "Christian Fiction" catagory.  Also, most of these titles are published by Christian publishing company.  These companies also publish non-fiction, Bible studies, Bibles and other types of Christian literature.

So perhaps the marketing for their books should include some designation about the book being "clean" versus "preachy"?  Unless I have received a confirmation that there is no proselytizeing in one of their titles I will avoid it.  I really don't have a lot of extra time for reading and do not want to get part way through a book and find that its focus is on some religion or biblical teaching and is not just a good, compelling story without that stuff.