Inspired Contributor
MiloSW

What is the best book you have read lately?

Since I bought my nook in December, I have become more of the avid reader that I use to be in school. I thank this to the instant gratification of picking up a new book without the wait. That being said, I haven’t gone more than a day without reading. I have read a lot of books since then. Most of them I would say were decent or good reads, but nothing stands out as a must read.

Is there any book you have read recently that warrants the must read category. I am always on the lookout for new suggestions no matter the genre, and I’m sure others will appreciate the suggestions also.

(As a side note, I am aware that there are other non-nook boards and blogs dedicated to this, but why not have one here as well.:smileyhappy:)

Contributor
agilescout
0 Kudos

Re: What is the best book you have read lately?

I LOVED

To Say Nothing of the Dog

It's a clever, funny time travel novel that mostly takes place on an estate on the Thames in Victorian England. The characterization of the animals in the novel was particularly entertaining. This is a great, whimsical "feel good" book.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

I just finished:

In the Heart of the Sea 

Read about the true incident that inspired Herman Melville's "Moby Dick". Its also a great lesson in the Nantucket whaling industry in the early 19th century when this story takes place.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I recently finished

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Series #1) 

I am now about 1/2 way though the 2nd book in the series - The Girl Who Played with Fire. Just this morning I downloaded The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest to read once I am finished with book 2. I have enjoyed this series.

Correspondent
tmpage
0 Kudos

MiloSW wrote:

Since I bought my nook in December, I have become more of the avid reader that I use to be in school. I thank this to the instant gratification of picking up a new book without the wait. That being said, I haven’t gone more than a day without reading. I have read a lot of books since then. Most of them I would say were decent or good reads, but nothing stands out as a must read.

Is there any book you have read recently that warrants the must read category. I am always on the lookout for new suggestions no matter the genre, and I’m sure others will appreciate the suggestions also.

(As a side note, I am aware that there are other non-nook boards and blogs dedicated to this, but why not have one here as well.:smileyhappy:)

I'm not sure what you like to read, but "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett was really good. "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" was also good.  I love anything by Jodi Picoult.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nerdgirljenn
0 Kudos

Easy...

Garden Spells  (I tried to add the e-book link, but it went all wonky on me)...

But I LOVED this book...

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
Frequent Contributor
yahma
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Patrick Bower Series by Stephen James is incredibly well written. His characters and his writing style are very intelligent. He obviously does his research!

The books in this series so far are Pawn, Rook, Knight and Bishop. Queen is due in August 2011. There will be 8 in the series.

I actually liked these books so much, I read them voraciously and am going back for a slower read the second time around so I can enjoy them even more.

The Robin Parrish "Dominion Trilogy" was pretty good too, and "Relentless" Book One is still showing as free as of this post. The other two in this series are Fearless and Merciless.

For "women's fiction" I also like most books by Jodi Picoult, Barbara Delinsky, Elin Hildebrand and Kristin Hannah.

Happy reading!

(sorry, I don't know how to add all the fancy links!!)

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

kathylcsw wrote:

I recently finished

I am now about 1/2 way though the 2nd book in the series - The Girl Who Played with Fire. Just this morning I downloaded The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest to read once I am finished with book 2. I have enjoyed this series.

I downloaded the sample to see what all the hype was about before I bought it, and I couldn't even finish that. Just couldn't hold my interest. But to each their own, I guess. It wasn't bad (which i can't say of some other "hot" books I won't mention) just didn't spark with me for some reason.

I guess the most fun I've had lately would be either The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme Series #7)  orEnder in Exile (Ender Wiggin Series #6).

And I just started digging into my free copy of Les Miserables (thanks Project Guttenberg & manybooks.net) and I'm happy as a clam. There's just something enjoyable in luxuriating in all those words!

Reader 4
RobAndDawn
0 Kudos

Stephen King's Under The Dome.

His best book since The Regulators. (Yes that is a Richard Bachman book, but we all know by now that Richard is really Stephen. :smileyhappy:)

Correspondent
Wrking21
0 Kudos

I personally hated SK's under the dome. It was great until the end and then I wanted to throw my beloved Nookie clean out the window! LOL so I don't think I'd recommend it but I did read The Memory Keepers Daughter and I must say it was amazing!

The Memory Keeper's Daughter 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@MiloSW

Great question!

Last Call  is far and away the best nonfiction I've read since I got my Nook.  It's about a fascinating period -- Prohibition -- and written in a style both clear and witty.  And while very entertaining, is still extremely well researched and avoids clichés and taking cheap shots.

Call Me By Your Name  is the best novel I've read lately.  As the blurb on the product page says, "unforgettable", although controversial in a number of ways, and certainly not everyone's cup of tea.  For a less controversial choice, I agree with those naming

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Series #1)  I couldn't put any book of this trilogy down until I finished them!

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

kathylcsw wrote:

I recently finished

I downloaded the sample to see what all the hype was about before I bought it, and I couldn't even finish that. Just couldn't hold my interest. But to each their own, I guess. It wasn't bad (which i can't say of some other "hot" books I won't mention) just didn't spark with me for some reason.

I guess the most fun I've had lately would be either The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme Series #7)  orEnder in Exile (Ender Wiggin Series #6).

And I just started digging into my free copy of Les Miserables (thanks Project Guttenberg & manybooks.net) and I'm happy as a clam. There's just something enjoyable in luxuriating in all those words!

I would agree that just reading the sample chapters would not make me want to read the whole book either. I really liked the first book and am getting through the second but they do start off slow! The story does not develop quickly but it does develop. It was worth the wait for me.

Correspondent
yarnmama
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I really liked:

The Road 

I didn't expect to like it at first but it didn't take long to get into the stark dialogue and begin to  "feel" the characters. It's a quick read, at only 117p, and worth it.

Inspired Contributor
MiloSW
0 Kudos

Funny enough, most of everyone's suggestions are either on my list to read or I already finished them.

The Millennium Trilogy were the first books that graced my nook. I would have to say that so far they are the closes to the must reads for me.

@yammama

I read The Road quite a few years ago. It took a bit to get use to the writing style, but I agree it was well worth it. That's one of the few more recent DTBs that will stay in my collection.

@ABthree

ABthree wrote:

@MiloSW

Great question! 

Thanks:smileyhappy:. We have the threads of what people are reading, but no real discussion as to what people think of them. This is the NOOKbook discussion board after all.

@all:

Don't be concerned if I personally will like the book. If you really liked it, mainstream or not, post it. I started this thread not just for me, but for anyone's benefit. My hope is this will help people discover a gem that they might not of considered picking up.

avid_reader1590
0 Kudos

Loved all three!  

kathylcsw wrote:

I recently finished

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sorry, had a glitch.  I'm going to go in a different genre direction than everyone else (I usually do lol).

Though I read this months ago when it was first released, it's still at the top of my list:

The Way of Kings

Anything by Brandon Sanderson is a great read!

I've read these multiple times and never get bored with them:

The Way of Shadows (Night Angel Trilogy #1)

Shadow's Edge (Night Angel Trilogy #2)

Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel Trilogy #3)

He has a new book out that is also great.  It is the start of a new series:

The Black Prism (Lightbringer Series #1)

This is on my short list, but everything I"ve heard about it says it's an amazing book:

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles Series #1)

Contributor
JPAZ357
0 Kudos

The best books I have read lately are unfortunately not available as nookbooks (yet) but the paper backs are available at B&N and epubs are available from Baen.

Monster Hunter International  

Monster Hunter Vendetta  

"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed."
- Richard (Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind)
Inspired Contributor
SweetTooth
0 Kudos

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles Series #1)

Loved, loved, loved this!   Read it when it came out a few years ago, and have been waiting impatiently for the second book which was just released on 3/1!

My most recent favorite read was a Free Friday from a while back.

Billy Boyle (Billy Boyle World War II Mystery Series #1)

avid_reader1590
0 Kudos

So many books it is hard to choose but #1 has to be 

East of Eden

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

Contributor
bukwurm31
0 Kudos

The best book I've finished lately is The Distant Hours by Kate Morton.  It was one of those few books that I could not put down.  It just had everything!  Romance (without being cheesy), a gothic castle, mystery, and World War 2.  Excellent!

Right now I'm reading The Passage by Justin Cronin.  It's really good too!  It's like Michael Crichton meets Stephen King.  Fantastic.  I'm glad it's a very long book cause I'm enjoying it so much!