Reply
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

 


Globaltech wrote:

I have a whole colleciton of JK's ebooks :smileyvery-happy:   I've been naughty! 


Which is exactly the reason that the rest of us don't.

 

Reader 4
Nyght
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎11-16-2010

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

If it was really about "authenticity" and "how the book was meant to be read", then there would not be audiobook versions.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

[ Edited ]

 


Nyght wrote:

If it was really about "authenticity" and "how the book was meant to be read", then there would not be audiobook versions.


 

I don't think anyone actually believes that it's anything other than a fear of piracy.  It's clear that piracy exists.  We have a poster advertising gleefully that s/he has stolen multiple files.

 

It seems old-fashioned to be anti-ebook, I agree.  But as the author, who still retains the rights to the works, she gets to be old-fashioned.  Stealing her book isn't any less wrong because she's wealthy; if it's distributed free of charge that should be only at her (or an agent acting on her behalf's) discretion.  And it's horrifying that someone else (without rights) could profit by its distribution.  (Well the justification is horrifying, at the very least.)

 

I want these books electronically, don't get me wrong, but she has fears about theft.  I don't have to like the choice she made, but as it is her work, I have to respect that she has the right to make that choice.  The day she becomes unconcerned with piracy is a guaranteed $70 (assuming that they're sold below hardcover and above softcover) from many, many readers.  It's probably a guaranteed $100 from some...

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
Posts: 1,294
Registered: ‎12-31-2008

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

I can't think of any ebook I like well enough to want to pirate.But then again, I am from a different generation. One that grew up with adult supervision and was taught right from wrong.

 

As was stated, Rowling has the right to do what she wants with her property. If you don't like it, take it up with her. But with the popularity of her books being what it is, I suspect your catterwallings will fall on deaf ears and she won't respond until the popularity of her HP series wanes and sales start dropping off.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
Posts: 156
Registered: ‎08-20-2010
0 Kudos

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

 


Ya_Ya wrote:

 


I want these books electronically, don't get me wrong, but she has fears about theft. 


 

 

I think that the issue here is the majority of posters sincerely believe that they (we) would only consider downloading electronic versions (stealing, pirating, whatever) if/when we are unable to buy an electronic version legally.

 

It's the MP3 argument. I'm not going to buy more CDs, no matter how much you wish I would. And once your stuff is available on iTunes, I'm going to buy it all legally. But if it's not available on iTunes, I'm looking over at Napster, count on it.

 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

[ Edited ]

 


JohnP51 wrote:

I can't think of any ebook I like well enough to want to pirate.But then again, I am from a different generation. One that grew up with adult supervision and was taught right from wrong.

 


 

Oh, I can think of them.  I just won't do it; I'm part of Gen X, but that's no justification for stealing.  I understand wanting something so badly that you imagine pirating, but taking the action, I can't understand or condone.

 

If what you want isn't available legally in the format you want it to be in, you either buy it in a different format or *you do without*.  

 

(I don't download illegal music, I don't bit torrent software and I didn't share mixed tapes back in the day.)

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

I just think e-books are the future of books and all books should be made available in e-book format.  Authors that prevent the publication of their books in e-book format are just being selfish as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not going to patronize them simply based on a philosophical basis.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
Coanda-1910
Posts: 128
Registered: ‎03-04-2010

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

Consider the following: if you own a physical copy of a book, you are free to scan it and create your own digital copy (you can't distribute that copy, but you can create it). Further, I doubt anyone is going to claim scanning your own book is immoral, so if you want to claim that pirating an eBook you already own the physical copy of is immoral, but scanning it yourself is not... you must point to some essential difference between the two acts.

 

The four possible differences that come to mind for me: first, scanning is legal and pirating illegal. Second, scanning takes more work. Third, pirating requires someone else providing a pirated version. Fourth, there is a lot more social opprobrium to piracy.

 

Regarding the first difference: legaility. Legally, you can not pirate an ebook. It's that simple; there is no argument. You can argue that the legal fact in turn implies a compelling moral responsibility to not pirate an ebook out of respect for the law, but (if you really believe that) that puts you in a fringe minority. Almost nobody sees it as morally dispicable to not mail in your sales tax on online purchases, or drink before age 18, or go a little above the speed limit... and even those who do object, generally do so based on the consequences rather than simply because it's the law. It just sounds weird to say that jaywalking is an evil act. At most, legality is one of several factors that might influence the morality of an act.

 

Regarding the second difference: difficulty. I don't see this as a real problem - that's merely technology. If someone released a bit of software that let you very rapidly flip your book in front of a webcam for about 2 seconds, after which your computer would produce a nicely-formatted, error-free ePub file, I can't see how that could suddenly make it become moral to pirate (or, conversely, become immoral to scan your own books).

 

Regarding the third difference: the requirement for a collaborator. You could argue that the collaborator is engaging in an immoral act in providing a copy of the book, in which case you are aiding and abetting them in this by downloading it. But I would argue that when and if it is moral for you to download a digital file, it is equally moral for someone else to provide you with that file. It seems silly to claim otherwise, in fact.

 

And the fourth difference (social opprobrium) is so laughable as to not be worth discussing.* Simply because society thinks something is wrong doesn't make it wrong.

 

Personally, the legal consequences are sufficient that I don't pirate digital content. It may be very unlikely you'd get caught, but the punishment for file-sharing is often worse than for robbing a bank! That's not the sort of risk I want to mess around with.

 

But to my mind, the only arguably morally objectionable action is pirating content you haven't paid for in some format. I say arguably, because it depends on your moral philosophy; a utilitarian might well say that someone who pirates a file they would never have legally paid for (even if they had not pirated it) isn't doing anything wrong. Note that I said "might well say", because utilitarianism is a tricky moral philosophy to try to apply to practical situations, so there would probably be some disagreement.

 

*Thus missing a great chance to justify Godwin's Law in discussing it... ah well.

 

PS: I thought for a while before posting this. It's not really directly related to the initial topic, but there's a lot of people in this thread just blithely asserting the moral superiority of those who walk the straight-and-narrow and don't pirate HP eBooks... or to put it another way, someone is wrong on the internet!

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
Posts: 169
Registered: ‎09-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

There may be hope .... no one ever thought the Beatles would be on iTunes either.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
Posts: 223
Registered: ‎06-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

Well, I sure hope the author changes her mind.  I think she is missing the point.  We own all of them hard copy in my house (my wifes copies) and about half of them paperback (my daughters) and I'd love to get them on my Nook.  I don't mind buying another copy if it was available.

 

The problem is, by keeping such a tight grip on it, it encourages piracy.  People will consume material in whatever format they want, regardless fo the right or wrongness of it.  I'm a good example, I'm willing to buy it, but can't.  If I wanted to read them again in digital I'd have to resort to a pirated copy.  I've read them in DTB format so I am willing to wait until ebook versions come out.  Howevever, there are plenty of people who wont.

 

I'm thinking she's shooting herself in the foot.  The Harry Potter series targets the younger crowd.  And who is most likely to read an eBook over a DTB?  Well, the younger crowd by nature as they are usually more technically savvy than us old farts.:smileyhappy:

 

Anyway, that's my opinion.  It's J.K.'s business, and I dissagree with it, but I can wait.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
Posts: 1,294
Registered: ‎12-31-2008
0 Kudos

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?


Rignes wrote:

.......... Well, the younger crowd by nature as they are usually more technically savvy than us old farts.:smileyhappy:..........


Tell me about it. Its embarassing having to always hunt down a 5 year old to help me put the straw in my juice box. I apoligize to all the old timers I made fun of back when I was young and thought I was bulletproof.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
Posts: 634
Registered: ‎01-01-2010

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

Somebody said she is afraid of piracy.

 

Yet all the pirates already have her books and the only people she is hurting are people who would pay.

 

Oh, the irony.

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

Does anyone know if she's planning on doing any more writing?  She's made billions of dollars already.  Maybe she just doesn't care.  I don't think she wrote anything prior to Harry Potter.  Maybe she's just a super successful one hit series wonder.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Doug_Pardee
Posts: 5,522
Kudos: 4,015
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?


AlanNJ wrote:

 

Does anyone know if she's planning on doing any more writing?


From the UK Press Association (11/12/2010): "JK Rowling has confirmed she is considering writing more books about the wizarding world - but they will not feature Harry Potter."

 

Wordsmith
swan480
Posts: 303
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

Just wanted to applaud Ya_Ya and JohnP51 for their posts.  I agree, I'd love to own electronic copies of a lot of books, but that doesn't mean I am going to do something immoral.  The writer owns the rights to her work, and calling her selfish for what she chooses to do with it is like calling your neighbor selfish for not sharing his car with everyone on the block.  Furthermore, claiming that you have a right to pirate a book because the author won't make it available electronically doesn't prove anything except that you've got a chip on your shoulder.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
Posts: 1,294
Registered: ‎12-31-2008
0 Kudos

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

 


swan480 wrote:

.......Furthermore, claiming that you have a right to pirate a book because the author won't make it available electronically doesn't prove anything except that you've got a chip on your shoulder.


Its a meaningless argument pirates use to justify their immoral and sometimes illegal behavior. Much the same as the "I stole it so I would know if I wanted to buy it or not" argument. Rather than being truthful.

 

 

However the pirates want to spin it, its just plain wrong.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Scribe
03FLHT2
Posts: 695
Registered: ‎02-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

[ Edited ]

She can say all she wants to about being afraid of it being Pirated or it needs to be read in DTB form.  The minute she agreed to put it into movie format negates all the above.   Just as when I walk down the street in Manhattan or even out here in Suffolk and get offered a copied of the new Potter movie coming out before its in the theater is a Joke.  That was never my style but its there if I choose to get it.

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
Posts: 368
Registered: ‎05-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

 


TrevorS wrote:

 

Bull. The real concern, I absolutely guarantee, is piracy. Once that concern is alleviated, they'll come over just like everyone else.


Well, since imaginary concerns can never be alleviated, I guess "never" is the currently reigning champion :smileytongue:. The piracy "concern" is a smokescreen for luddite authors.

 

The cake is a lie.
Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
Posts: 368
Registered: ‎05-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

 


JohnP51 wrote:

I can't think of any ebook I like well enough to want to pirate.But then again, I am from a different generation. One that grew up with adult supervision and was taught right from wrong.


Is that the same generation that recorded songs from the radio and photocopied books in college to save money and made mixed tapes by recording from purchased cassettes? :smileytongue:

 

I'm willing to take your word for it if you say that you personally did neither of those piratical things. But puhleese, don't deify an entire generation and demonize another. Gen X my rear end :smileyvery-happy:. I love how easily these meaningless labels become part of the gestalt. As if entire generations can be described in a few sentences.

 

By the way, I haven't done this but scanning a book for your own personal use (without distribution) is apparently legal (and falls within fair use) and is fully ethical too. Perhaps that's what the previous poster did -  I don't know. I do know that there exist several people who scan their (owned) books into electronic form for their own personal use.

 

The cake is a lie.
Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
Posts: 368
Registered: ‎05-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: When will Harry Potter books be available for my NOOK?

 


Ya_Ya wrote:

 

If what you want isn't available legally in the format you want it to be in, you either buy it in a different format or *you do without*


Or, the omnipresent third choice - you buy it in the format available and format-shift. It's called Fair Use and is not illegal.

 

The cake is a lie.