New User
Lilix
0 Kudos

Who Here Takes The Risk?

So I was just casually (in the midst of this sever overhaul with Froyo and the App Store) browsing through the Pubit! section of B&N's website, and I thought I'd ask a sincere question.

Has anyone here ever taken the chance and bought an ebook that was only available as an ebook? Meaning you couldn't see it in the store as a hardback/paperpack. I know as a future hope-to-be-published author that I wonder if it's economically smarter to go about publishing direct through a place like the Pubit! section is offering. Or are some of you out there like me in the sense that you like knowing it's in a hardcopy as well as online? Or does it not matter to some of you? I just kind of want to get a feel for the topic.

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Who Here Takes The Risk?

[ Edited ]

I've bought a number of books that are available only as eBooks.

In fact it is beginning to look like that wave of the future is for publishers to look for and contract successful self published/ePublished authors instead of reading through submissions.

So the next great author will probably self publish their work and eBook before being discovered and becoming a print author.

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It depends on the price, if I can read a sample, and on how well the blurb is written. If the description is poor (I have seen spelling mistakes and grammatical errors) I go no further. If the book seems interesting and it is only a few dollars I'd almost certainly take a chance. As it gets more expensive I'd decide if I wanted to download the sample and think about it. Above $10 or so I'd probably just move on to another book....

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

Personally, I don't care if it's available in print or not. I look at the category, the cover, and the "jacket description" to see if it sounds interesting. If so, I scan the reviews and read the first page or two to see if it's reasonable-quality work.

By the way, the "jacket description" is usually my first indication as to the quality of the writing. If it's poorly written, incoherent, or content-free, I won't bother going on to the reviews and the preview. I don't understand how some authors can be satisfied with a description that is anything short of compelling or is in any way defective.

Correspondent
toesinthesand79

I don't care if it is a big name publisher or a self published author, if the summary is eye catching and sounds like a good read, I buy it and read it.  Sometimes, authors have posted on the boards about their books and their description is better than what they originally put on the site or they will post a sample from their book that gets my attention and I end up purchasing it and reading it.

There are a lot of great self published authors out there that I am finding.  I wouldn't have been able to read them had I not been reading ebooks only now.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Personally, I don't care if it's available in print or not. I look at the category, the cover, and the "jacket description" to see if it sounds interesting. If so, I scan the reviews and read the first page or two to see if it's reasonable-quality work.

By the way, the "jacket description" is usually my first indication as to the quality of the writing. If it's poorly written, incoherent, or content-free, I won't bother going on to the reviews and the preview. I don't understand how some authors can be satisfied with a description that is anything short of compelling or is in any way defective.

I agree completely. I can't understand how someone can go to the effort of writing a novel and then put up an incoherent, error ridden, synopsis.

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

I have. I have found several new authors I really like.  I think it is great that these authors have an opportunity to get their work out. I know one author, Amanda Hocking, has actually gotten a publishing deal dure to her popularity in e-books.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

I have, and both my reasoning and my approach track Doug's.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Contributor
CrankyBeach
0 Kudos

Ditto to what the others have said; if I like the sound of the premise, AND I can read a sample, unless it cost two arms and a leg, I would be very likely to take the chance.

Several years ago I was at a writers' conference where a New York editor (from one of the well-known and established publishing houses) said that even then, e-publishing was no longer the "poor stepchild" of the industry, and in fact she had recently signed an author whose entire 7-book e-published (i.e. self-published) backlist she then turned around and bought as well.

Lest you think I might be making this up... the editor was the late Kate Duffy from Kensington--and her remarks were recorded, and I have the conference recordings somewhere.

Just some food for thought on this Wednesday afternoon....

Of course, for this to work for you, you have to have a worthy product....  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I don't, generally.

But, I have trouble browsing and then purchasing ebooks in general.  Almost all of the ebooks I've bought have been because of a recommendation here, or someone posted they were reading it and I read the description and put it on my wishlist or bought on the spot.  (What I have bought are both traditionally published and self-published.)

With DTBs I used to go into the store with no idea what I wanted and come out with stacks of books by authors I'd never heard of, had never been recommended to me, but for whatever reason I'd picked up and thumbed through.

I've totally bought into electronic reading.  I'm not sold on the shopping experience yet.  I haven't figured it out yet, I guess.   

Distinguished Correspondent
KennaS
0 Kudos

I usually look at a title and the cover first. if its eyecatching then Ill take a closer look at the description of the book. if it interests me then I will read the first few pages ( I am looking forward to the day that you will have the first few paragraphs or so available to read without having to download anything to your nook) and then I will buy it. Same works for ebooks....kinda. Instead of looking at the first few pages though, I look at the reviews.

I really dont care if the book is available in DT form or not. I purchased a nook for ease of use and book collecting so I tend to stay away from them anyway. :smileyhappy:

God changes appearances every second. Blessed is the man who can recognize him in all his disguises. One moment he is a glass of fresh water, the next, your son bouncing on your knees or an enchanting woman, or perhaps merely a morning walk.-Nikos Kazantzakis
Wordsmith
Po1gara
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Since purchasing my nook, I no longer care, at all, if a book is available in DTB form. I have found the use of an ereader so much more comfortable and convenient that I no longer purchase DTB's at all.:smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
_deb_
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

I follow this protocol regardless of whether it is available in DTB form or not.  Actually, to be honest, I don't even notice if it available in that format.  It is a non-factor for me.

Hope to see you later at...

Inspired Contributor
MaryMcDonald
0 Kudos

I honestly couldn't tell you what percentage of my book purchases are in paper/hardback or just ebook. It's not something I pay much attention to. If the description, cover and sample draws me in, then I buy it.

No Good Deed
Wrongly accused of a being a terrorist, Mark Taylor is labeled an enemy combatant. There's no lawyer, no trial, and he leaves his rights outside the cell.
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Yeah, everything Doug said...

Contributor
sisterhoney61
0 Kudos

I've gotten a lot of books that are available only as e-books. I rely on the subject matter and the synopsis of the book, as well as the price, If I think that I will like, then I'll buy it.

Nancy
Frequent Contributor
Ostracus
0 Kudos

Well two things. One I'm certain samplers have noticed some of the samples aren't anything more than a page or two. Two the LendMe program is a way to allow "sampling". And three yes I've bought E-books with little worry mainly because either they're free or very low cost.

Inspired Contributor
MiloSW
0 Kudos

I basically follow what Doug said. If it looks interesting with a well written synopsis, I will check out the reviews, and then I'll decide if I want it. I'm more adventurous with free or library books. There is no real risk in those. If I don't like it I will just move on to the next one. All you lose is some time. Since I'm looking for books to read on my nook, I don't see the need to know if it's available in print.
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I buy a lot of pubit titles.  There is some good authors that are using pubit and many of the titles are 99 cents 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.