Contributor
went_postal

Who decides what books make it to eBook format?

[ Edited ]

The author or the publisher?

I happened to notice that #6 of the Bob Lee Swagger Series is available... as is #1, #4, and #5.  What the heck is that about?  I can imagine that PERHAPS #4 came out in ebook first, then #5 and then #6.... and #1 only came out because of the release of the movie Shooter with Marky Mark a couple of years ago.  But still...  Would hate to buy #1 of the series and not be able to read the rest of it on the nook. 

Same goes for the Percy Jackson series... They sell it on Kindle but nowhere else.  What's up with that?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Who decides what books make it to eBook format?

Publishers and Authors decide this.  Its in their contracts.  

New User
RicoJ
0 Kudos

I saw a similar situation with Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series.. All books are available as eBooks except #4. What I find odd is that book 4 is available on another site in ePub format..Does this seem odd to anyone?

Contributor
kennethrlewis
0 Kudos

When an author signs their publishing contract it will specify what formats he, or she, is granting publishing rights to the publisher for, i.e., audio books, ebooks, paperback, hardback, serial rights (magazines). However, it is ultimately up to the publisher to decide when, or where, or if ever, the literary property that they hold the rights to for the term of the publishing contract will be published as an ebook, and by which ebook channels - Amazon Kindle, B&N Nook, Google ebooks. New authors generally have very little say about this, and are usually just thrilled that they are being published, in any venue. But more established authors, and the new breed of "independent" authors, are able to either negotiate from a stronger power base because of past publishing successes, or, as an independent, have total control over all of their ebook publishing choices.

Little Blue Whales 

The Sparrow's Blade  

Little Blue Whales (2009)
The Sparrow's Blade (2011)
Flight of the Bowyer (2013)
Inspired Contributor
JimSC
0 Kudos

Stephen White claims he has signed all the appropriate paperwork.  Could B&N please make all his books available as nookbooks, going back to the first one, Priviledged Information?  I've been waiting and waiting.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

JimSC wrote:

Stephen White claims he has signed all the appropriate paperwork.  Could B&N please make all his books available as nookbooks, going back to the first one, Priviledged Information?  I've been waiting and waiting.

There seems to be a number of Stephen White books available as eBooks.  As for Priviledged Information, it doesn't seem to be available anywhere as an eBook.

Mr. White may have signed all the appropriate paperwork, but his publisher is the one who has to provide the books, B&N does not create the eBooks, they sell what is provided by the publishers.  You or the author need to address your concerns to the the publisher.  However, you can locate the print book here on the website and click the Tell the publisher you want this as a Nookbook link.

Inspired Contributor
JimSC
0 Kudos

Mr. White states on his blog that he has made digital rights available to the various digital publishers, and that it is up to B&N to format the text into their format. He says it is because they have a backlog of books they are formatting and will take time. My request is for B&N to move forward with formatting Mr. White's books.  I know some of his books are available in ebook format, but having read one of them, I would now like to go back and start with his first book. I know his books do not need to be read in order, but that's the way I like to read them -- just my little quirk.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JimSC wrote:

Mr. White states on his blog that he has made digital rights available to the various digital publishers, and that it is up to B&N to format the text into their format.

Mr. White is wrong. Were that true, B&N could turn anything into an e-book and sell it, such is not the case.

All formats are supplied by the publisher. The sales outlets do not determine what is and what isn't an e-book, no matter what form, epub, pdb, pdf, etc.

The only thing sales outlets do is use the customer information and credit card to generate a digital rights management key for the book when a customer purchases it.

That's why there is a "Tell the publisher" link to click on DTB's to let the publisher know you would like to see it in e-book format.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JimSC wrote:

Mr. White states on his blog that he has made digital rights available to the various digital publishers, and that it is up to B&N to format the text into their format.

Unless he's publishing through PubIt!, it's not B&N's problem. PubIt! is the way that authors can get their work directly onto B&N. Otherwise, the authors need to go through a publisher or distributor (Smashwords being the main example of a distributor).

Bookstores don't produce e-books; they sell them. Someone else has to produce the e-books, same as for printed books. In any event, the author must execute a contract with the publisher, which includes important details like how much the author will get paid for each copy, what rights the publisher is getting, and how long the contract is good for.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

JimSC wrote:

Mr. White states on his blog that he has made digital rights available to the various digital publishers, and that it is up to B&N to format the text into their format. He says it is because they have a backlog of books they are formatting and will take time. My request is for B&N to move forward with formatting Mr. White's books.  I know some of his books are available in ebook format, but having read one of them, I would now like to go back and start with his first book. I know his books do not need to be read in order, but that's the way I like to read them -- just my little quirk.

The other thing is, the publisher has to believe that there is a sufficient return on investment to convert the book to the various formats.  For a book originally published in 2004, they may not believe there is a large enough market.

I understand the need to read the books in order, I am the same way, regardless of whether or not they need to be read in order.  I have lots of lists of the order books were published so I don't read one out of order.  But, sometimes, I have to revert to a printed book depending upon the age.

Contributor
JisforJess
0 Kudos

Actually, the entire Percy Jackson series is availible for the nook from B&N. Boarders and Sony have them all too. I just searched "Percy Jackson" and found all of them in ebook format.