New User
menap
0 Kudos

anne rice ebooks

Hi, committed Nook user.  I love the Witching Hour by Anne Rice, would love to download it to my nook so that I can discard my old,old hardcover.  Is there a place where we can post to request an ebook version? Thanks,

menap

Distinguished Wordsmith
FantasyRider

Re: anne rice ebooks

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eBook-Discussion/Can-t-Find-Your-eBook-Tell-Us-Here/m-p/40563... 

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein
Contributor
ebooker

Anne Rice posted on the Kindle forum that she has been asking her publisher to put more of her books in ebook form, but they haven't been very responsive to this point.  Hopefully that will be remedied sometime soon.

New User
menap
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info.  I can't imagine why not.  The ebook market is huge. I think they're missing something here.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

You can also try contacting Anne Rice herself.  She is extremely accessible to her readers and fans.  She has an email address listed on her website as well as a Facebook page and she actually answers when you write to her.  I have a friend who has started a friendship with her that started with a discussion question he posted on her Facebook page.  maybe she has a little pull with her publishers.  Maybe not, but she may be able to put some pressure on them through her agent.  I don't know.  She's also very open to ebooks and technology in general, so I was surprised her older titles hadn't made it to ebook forms at all, either.

Fran

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Conversion of older books to e-books

menap wrote:

I can't imagine why not.  The ebook market is huge. I think they're missing something here.

There are lots of possible reasons, and we can't know what the situation is here. Since Anne Rice is pushing to get the e-books released through her publisher, we can assume that it's not a contractual problem (which is a major stumbling block for many titles).

My guess would be it's a matter of getting them into electronic form. Most books printed prior to, say, the turn of the century weren't printed from electronic documents. In order to turn the book into an e-book, the book has to be either typed in or scanned in, then there needs to be a lot of proofreading and correcting work.

Google is running a service for publishers where the publisher sends Google a crate of books and Google will scan them for $25 per book. But the quality of Google scans is infamously poor. The publisher needs to put a lot of effort into proofing and correcting (Tor, are you listening?) before releasing the e-book. Also, Google is now saying that they are backlogged by several months on this service.

On top of that, there's a question of profitability. Older books are usually available in mass-market paperback (MMPB). Many people refuse to pay more for an e-book than for MMPB, so the publisher doesn't have much margin to work with to pay back the investment in scanning, proofing, correcting, and formatting into e-book. Additionally, an e-book sale is quite probably going to be a lost MMPB sale. So: producing the e-book involves more up-front expense, in return for which the publisher gets no extra sales but probably will get castigated for the e-book pricing.

Frequent Contributor
_deb_

I actually did email Anne Rice just yesterday and she indicated that the issue had been resolved and we could expect her books VERY soon.  I was asking specifically about The Vampire Chronicles series.  A few of the later ones are available in eBook, but none of the earlier ones. 

Hope to see you later at...

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

_deb_ wrote:

I actually did email Anne Rice just yesterday and she indicated that the issue had been resolved and we could expect her books VERY soon.  I was asking specifically about The Vampire Chronicles series.  A few of the later ones are available in eBook, but none of the earlier ones. 

This is good news. I would love to replace my copy of Interview with a Vampire, as well as eassily obtain the other first few books in the series as ebooks. Tale of the Body Thief is where it jumped the shark for me, but those first few...wow!

I'll be first in line for a reasonably priced ebook edition.