Contributor
Cackhanded
0 Kudos

book/author suggestions?

Looking for something to interesting for a 30yo guy that doesn't involve vampires. To help out, right now I'm reading council of dads. I like stephen king, dan brown, and joe hill. I plan on reading the stieg larsson books soon. Don't really like a series that goes on for too long. Think a trilogy is as much as I can handle.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: book/author suggestions?

[ Edited ]
Contributor
Cackhanded
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Check out the "What are you reading" thread on the front page of this forum.

I did that. Seems that most people on here are females reading romance, love stories, and again vampire books. None of which interest me. Went through every page.

Correspondent
Angela2932ND
0 Kudos

How about any of Lee Child's books? I'm liking them as much as any Stephen King novels or Steig Larsson's.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@cackhanded

You might like the Cal Leandros books by Rob Thurman.  The first one is Nightlife.  They aren't really a series in the sense that each book depends on the previous one -- they're pretty independent.  And they read fast.

Nightlife

A number of Dan Brown fans have commented favorably on Angelology by Danielle Trussoni.  I don't particularly like Brown, but I did enjoy Trussoni's book.

Angelology

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Canticle (Psalms of Isaak Series #2)

Lamentation (Psalms of Isaak Series #1)

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Cackhanded wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

I did that. Seems that most people on here are females reading romance, love stories, and again vampire books. None of which interest me. Went through every page.

I'm a woman and don't read the vampire books or the romances (usually!) and I've found a lot on there!  In fact, I've posted many that weren't any of those genres... 

Kellerman's books are great...

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

There's a lot of stuff on there besides vampire and romance books.

I don't read a lot of one off books, I like series books.  All these are series, but none of them are cliffhangers that would make you read the next book.  Although in most cases I would start with the first ones.

Lee Childs Jack Reacher Series is good, although it is a long series.

VInce Flynn, Mitch Rapp series - CIA agent, also good, but a series again.

Michael Harvey - Michael Kelly Series - Private Detective

Jack Higgins - Sean Dillon - IRA Enforcer now working for British Govt.  Series again

MIchael Connelly - Harry Bosch - LAPD Detective - (Series)

F Paul Wilson - Repairman Jack Series - Problem solver for people with a supernatural twist

David Balducci books - I haven't read many but my Dad really like the Camel Club trilogy

If you like Sci-Fi, the Jim Butcher - Harry Dresden series is good.  He's a wizard detective

Robert Crais - Joe Pike books (I think there are currently only 3)

Clive Cussler - Dirk Pitt Series, Oregon Series, a couple of others

Brad Meltzer - I've enjoyed several of his books

Ken Follett - He writes some good books.

I haven't read these yet, but I found them on the What are you reading thread or browsing through the book store:

Stephen Baxter - Flood, Ark

Matterhorn-A novel of the Vietnam War by Karl Marlantes (I found this after I read part of it using the Read in store)

I just added Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston to my wishlist based on the What are you reading thread.

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

You might like Harlan Coben's books.  His latest is:

Caught 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Have you checked out Smashwords? It's mostly unknown authors, and of course there's a fair amount of dreck, but there are also some pretty good books there. There are a number of free e-books that have gotten excellent reviews.

Here are links to free e-books of over 25,000 words, top-rated first, in a couple of categories:

Most of the e-books there that aren't free are reasonably priced. And you can usually preview a fair amount of the e-book before you decide whether to buy it or not. (I do recommend previewing before buying. There have been a number of e-books there that sounded good until I looked at the preview.)

Oh, and I know you said "no vampires", but Sarah Palin: Vampire Hunter is funny as heck. And it's free. It's a novella, though: only 15,000 words or so.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Cackhanded wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

There are quite a few of us males on that thread that aren't reading vampire books, romance and love stories.  I think you haven't read the thread closely enough.  Just sayin'...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Correspondent
PepaLou
0 Kudos

My dad told me about James Rollins, and I was a little skittish about it since my dad and I don't have the same taste in books.  I tried him out though and found his books to be "un-put-downable"...LOL.

I just finished "Altar of Eden", and it was very "Island of Dr. Moreau"-ish, but still very hard to put down.  But he also does series, and I will be checking those out as well. 

Brasil #1
Proud owner of "COUNT NOOKULA"!
Stop adding more crap to my nook! If I wanted a do it all POS, I would have bought an Ipad!
Reader 4
brianofedmond
0 Kudos

Cristopher Reich is good.  One of his books Rules of Deception is only 99 cents right now.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

PepaLou wrote:

My dad told me about James Rollins, and I was a little skittish about it since my dad and I don't have the same taste in books.  I tried him out though and found his books to be "un-put-downable"...LOL.

I just finished "Altar of Eden", and it was very "Island of Dr. Moreau"-ish, but still very hard to put down.  But he also does series, and I will be checking those out as well. 

I read Alter of Eden and it was an very good book.  I would definitely recommend it.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Without Remorse

I love love love Tom Clancy!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Contributor
Cackhanded
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

@cackhanded

You might like the Cal Leandros books by Rob Thurman.  The first one is Nightlife.  They aren't really a series in the sense that each book depends on the previous one -- they're pretty independent.  And they read fast.

Nightlife

A number of Dan Brown fans have commented favorably on Angelology by Danielle Trussoni.  I don't particularly like Brown, but I did enjoy Trussoni's book.

Angelology

Angelology is the one book on that thread that I did like. Thanks

Contributor
Cackhanded
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

I'm a woman and don't read the vampire books or the romances (usually!) and I've found a lot on there!  In fact, I've posted many that weren't any of those genres... 

Kellerman's books are great...

The kellerman books looked good until I saw ..series #25! Are they independent of each other? Just don't want to miss something in a book because I didn't read #10 or #22.

Contributor
Cackhanded
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Have you read Brandon Sanderson?  Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Mistborn trilogy are all outstanding books.

These are great as well:

Way of Shadows (Night Angel Series #1)

Shadow's Edge (Night Angel Series #2)

Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel Series #3)

That night Angel series looks awesome. Thanks

Contributor
Cackhanded
0 Kudos

@ DougPardee

I do like smashwords and have several book from there.