New User
missmattie
0 Kudos

downloaded sample of book, then purchased, but whole book won't download

I downloaded a sample of a book.  Later purchased the book.  It supposedly downloaded but all I have is the sample pages.  Is there any way to download the rest of the book onto my nook?  Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Re: downloaded sample of book, then purchased, but whole book won't download

Go to your B&N Library on the nook and check for new content.  Highlight the book and reopen, it should have all the pages.  If that doesn't work, open a different book then reopen the new book. 

The second option worked under 1.1.1 but under 1.2 the one sample I've purchased updated to the full book without problem.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: downloaded sample of book, then purchased, but whole book won't download

If you are still running the old version of the software you might have to log into the website, delete the sample from your library, archive the whole book then download again to the nook after checking for new content.

The newer software version 1.2.0 solves this.

Contributor
danap
0 Kudos

I have the same problem

I'm not the OP, but I ran into the same problem yesterday, and cannot solve it. I thought I'd done everything right -- I went online and deleted the sample first, then went back to my nook & checked for new B&N content, to verifiy that the sample was gone. It was. I then bought the book -- but when I open it on my nook, once again it's just the sample.

I've gone back on line and archived the book, checked for new content on the nook, moved the book out of the archive, checked for content again -- multiple times I've gone through this procedure, but it's always the sample version that opens on the nook (the sample that's non-existant in my online library, BTW), never the whole book.

The book opens up just fine on my iPod. I downloaded it to my computer and side-loaded it onto the nook, & it's fine that way. Why it won't work properly in my nook's B&N Library, I do not know. I'm running the most recent software (v 1.2.0).

It's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance nevertheless. If I'd known I was going to have to read/manage this book from My Documents, I would have bought it somewhere else, not from B&N.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Re: I have the same problem

While you were side loading the book did you check your B&N Library on the nook to see if the sample had been removed.  Sometimes when deleting samples at the B&N site they are not deleted from the nook - they are just ignored.  That could be the problem, check for new content won't download the new book because it's still (the sample) on the nook.  If it is, delete it, eject from the computer and try check for new content again.

Contributor
danap
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestion, Ed. I already tried that (& tried it once more, for good measure, after reading your post). I can manually delete the sample from the nook -- but when I "check for new content", what shows up is the sample, not the book. And I've just noticed that the sample is now garbled & full of weird formatting. Bizarre.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Does the book title in the library indicate that the book is a sample or does it say new?

If it says sample, this should not work, if it says new, it's worth a try: 

Once again, delete the book from the B&N Library on the nook.  Eject the nook.  Go to the B&N Library but DO NOT check for new content, instead choose the book and open it.  Since the book is not on the nook you should get the overview page and the option to download the book.  Tap download.  If you get the same corrupt file than I suspect the copy on the server may be corrupt and you should notify B&N.

Good Luck

Ed

PS:  When all else fails contact CS.  I prefer email, at least I can read the book sideloaded while I wait for them to contact me for more information.

Contributor
danap
0 Kudos

The book showed up as neither "sample" nor "new" -- it just looked like any book that's been opened. I tried what you suggested, and I got the corrupt sample file again.

I'm extremely leery of any contact with Customer Service, after the horror stories I've read here. Maybe I'll send them an email -- if I can lower my expectations sufficiently first. Maybe instead of feeling grumpy because I had to sideload my book, I should be feeling grateful that I get any access to it at all?

Thank you for your help!