Frequent Contributor
Isanox
0 Kudos

eBook - First Edition - Say what?

While pursing the ebook new in Sci-fi section I see a number off book label as 'First edition'

Hawkmoon : The Mad God's Amulet by Michael Moorcock

Digital  eBook - First Edition

Is this what they call 'adding value' or making it a 'collectors item' ?

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa

Re: eBook - First Edition - Say what?

You got it!  The publishers think we're that stupid!

Better grab it while you can - years from now that little ePub file could be worth millions!

By the way - that Hawkmoon book is published by TOR - which is part of Macmillan, which is the main perpetrator of the agency model - so you might consider buying it now in case the price goes up.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Frequent Contributor
Isanox
0 Kudos

Yeah, I bought 30 books in the last week from here plus another 20 from Baen including the Fafhrd And Grey Mouser 7 parter.

Not sure if Bean is part of S&S, but I didn't want to take a chance. Turns out that $5.00 w/no tax is my price point sweet spot.

Oh, and I read 120-130 books last year. I know because I sell them at my local used bookseller in lots of 25, only this year I got behind and brought all 5 boxes in over a two month period. They don't have room for anymore, which sucks because I nearly have a nearly full boxl. Less than a dozen paperbooks to go and then its all digital and library rentals.

Anyway. Nice picture sub_rosa.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

Baen is its own publishing company and has its own website for ebooks.  You might want to check it out at baen.com.

That book is a reprint of a 1968 book.  The book before it, originally published in 1967, is not available in ebook on B&N. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh

The first time a book is printed as a hardback makes that hardback a first edition. The  first time a paperback is printed makes that a first edition paperback; which can mean very little. The first time a book is offered in ebook format... makes it a first edition. That may mean very little in the ebook market place. 

Frequent Contributor
Isanox
0 Kudos

Rav_Bunneh wrote:

The first time a book is printed as a hardback makes that hardback a first edition. The  first time a paperback is printed makes that a first edition paperback; which can mean very little. The first time a book is offered in ebook format... makes it a first edition. That may mean very little in the ebook market place. 

Yup. I have a sign paperback first edition of Roger Zelazny Nine Prince of Amber, and it is my most tresured book.

If I had managed to get a hold of Way up high at release I would already be able to sell it for a few hundred dollars profit.

But in the merry land of eBooks, I can't sell or trade my ebook. I can't even display the book with the cover facing out on my bookcase like I do now.

It reminds me of the electronic ccg that Sony Online Entertainment offers. You pay real money for packs of virtual cards. Some of which are worth alot of money, only you can't sell them.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Isanox wrote:

I can't even display the book with the cover facing out on my bookcase like I do now.

Tongue in cheek reply:

1. Buy one of those digital photo frames.
  2. Download the covers of all your eBooks and place the files in the frame.
  3. Place the frame on your bookshelf and have it cycle through the covers.

Wordsmith
Po1gara
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

Isanox wrote:

I can't even display the book with the cover facing out on my bookcase like I do now.

Tongue in cheek reply:

1. Buy one of those digital photo frames.
  2. Download the covers of all your eBooks and place the files in the frame.
  3. Place the frame on your bookshelf and have it cycle through the covers.

LOL!!! Great idea...hadn't thought of that!!!