Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

questionable marketing ploy-prices visited yet again

[ Edited ]

I'll state up front that I own a Nook & a kindle. I like the Nook a lot sharper clearer screen & an open format. I am perplexed at the ploy of raising prices at a time while in the middle of introducing a pretty good product (after the 1.2 upgrade) finally getting them in the store & shipping on time than you go and throw higher prices at the Nook buyers?...I mean that makes no sense...I am within my 2 week return eat 10% restock fee. BUT I like this thing...Oh yea I know about libraries & Kobo & Sony stores BUT why have your own store & your own device & send people clamering around to look for reasonable prices...Sure I think the Amazon people eat a lot of profit on their sales of book & look like champs I personally think this will change in the coming months but I would like an answer from B&N as to why some books are so high as to make you look elsewhere. I hope they have not shot themselves in the foot & end up with a warehouse full of nooks sending people to Amazon...

Correspondent
Princess_V
0 Kudos

Re: questionable marketing ploy-prices visited yet again

I have a nook & my husband has the Kindle, so I'm somewhat aware of pricing for both B&N & Amazon.  Depending on the types of books, both sources are increasing prices! 

Frequent Contributor
Paul58
0 Kudos

I'm miffed by the eBook price increases as well, and feel mis-lead by pre-release hype and hoopla over new releases priced at $9.99.  But, I'm not getting rid of my nook.  The reason is; it's way more compatible than many eReaders currently on the market and it's competitively priced.

Just imagine if you had spent the same money on a Kindle, but now you're stuck because the Kindle won't read EPUB which is fast becoming the most widely available eBook format.

At least with my nook, I have the option to shop at any eBook reseller I choose, have the ability to borrow eBooks from my library, and even lend/borrow the limited number of B&N Titles I was able to purchase before the price gouging began!

So for me, the nook is still a good deal even though B&N is reneging on their original promises and driving their loyal customers to seek out other resellers!

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Paul58 wrote:

I'm miffed by the eBook price increases as well, and feel mis-lead by pre-release hype and hoopla over new releases priced at $9.99.  But, I'm not getting rid of my nook.  The reason is; it's way more compatible than many eReaders currently on the market and it's competitively priced.

Just imagine if you had spent the same money on a Kindle, but now you're stuck because the Kindle won't read EPUB which is fast becoming the most widely available eBook format.

I absolutely disagree with this.  I completely understand the frustration of the pricing but if people had looked at the pricing back when the nook was announced or even the threads on this board a that time, they would clearly see B&N had very high pricing compared to others.  An individual should buy a product for what it is when it is announced and not what its potential could be.  This is where there ends up being a lot of disappointed owners.  At the same time, someone looking at a Kindle who want ePub knows ahead of time that it doesn't support it and should purchase based on that, not the potential in the future.  I do not have an issue with my Kindles not supporting epub because I never purchased them with that expectation.

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

Ninjas are drool.

Pirates rule!

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Correspondent
Large_Marge
0 Kudos

Globaltech:  "When movies get old you can rent them for a dollar.... why can't you 'rent' a book for a dollar as well?"

Why rent them?  When books get old, you can download them for free.  :smileyvery-happy:

New User
KristaMI
0 Kudos

I did research the differences in pricing on both Amazon and B&N for their respective Kindle book & Nook book prices.  At the time, it was less expensive to purchase through Barnes & Noble.  It was also less expensive to purchase a Nook book than to purchase a hard copy of the same book. As a result the Nook Color was purchased for me as a Christmas gift.  I love my NookColor.

I am disgusted to find that today, even with my B&N membership having intentionally lapsed (due to the fact that there are no discounts for e-book purchases), it is more expensive today to purchase a Nook book than to buy a hard copy of the book.  I am absolutetly disgusted and incredibly disappointed in Barnes & Noble, for the time being.  I hope this will change in the future, since I do prefer my Nook books over the hard copies.  I just can't justify paying more for an electronic download that should (at least, in theory) cost the publishing companies less to offer than the printed versions, especially in these economic times.  

So, for now at least, my Nook will be put on the shelf with all of my hard copies and I will go back to purchasing the good old paper consuming books.  PLEASE, Barnes & Noble, convince me that I should continue to be a loyal customer. 

Reader 4
Steelehere
0 Kudos

Reader 4
suem3667

I agree. I have watched the prices continue to rise on the ebooks.

I have been going back to reading paperbacks rather then using my Nook, at least I can use a coupon to purchase a book, and end up paying less then alot of Nook ebook prices.

Wordsmith
Po1gara

[ Edited ]

KristaMI wrote:

I did research the differences in pricing on both Amazon and B&N for their respective Kindle book & Nook book prices.  At the time, it was less expensive to purchase through Barnes & Noble.  It was also less expensive to purchase a Nook book than to purchase a hard copy of the same book. As a result the Nook Color was purchased for me as a Christmas gift.  I love my NookColor.

I am disgusted to find that today, even with my B&N membership having intentionally lapsed (due to the fact that there are no discounts for e-book purchases), it is more expensive today to purchase a Nook book than to buy a hard copy of the book.  I am absolutetly disgusted and incredibly disappointed in Barnes & Noble, for the time being.  I hope this will change in the future, since I do prefer my Nook books over the hard copies.  I just can't justify paying more for an electronic download that should (at least, in theory) cost the publishing companies less to offer than the printed versions, especially in these economic times.  

So, for now at least, my Nook will be put on the shelf with all of my hard copies and I will go back to purchasing the good old paper consuming books.  PLEASE, Barnes & Noble, convince me that I should continue to be a loyal customer. 

KristaMI...this is a very tired subject (the original thread is over a year old) but since you're new (welcome, by the way) I'll try to explain what the pricing is all about. Steve Jobs (when he introduced his iPad) struck a deal with 5 of the 6 major publishing houses. This deal brought about the 'Agency model'. Long story short, it basically says that the publishers now set the prices of ebooks, not the retailer. In other words, B&N has no control over the price of ebooks, they are however, still allowed to change the prices of DTB's (dead tree books) all they want. This is why you'll often see a DTB listed at a cheaper price than an ebook. The last hold out publisher, Random House, joined the agency model ranks this year.

With that said, there are still many, many free and low cost ebooks ranging from indie authors to classics. I have over 800 ebooks, and I haven't paid over $9.99 for any of them. At least half of them were free. So, basically, there's still plenty of ebooks to read on your nook...you might just want to wait for the price to come down on new releases. Hope this clarifies. :smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
bklvr896

KristaMI wrote:

You're complaining to the wrong folks.  B&N, Amazon, etc do not control the pricing on the majority of the eBooks being sold.  The 6 major publishers all use something callled the Agency Model, where they, the publisher, set the price and B&N, Amazon, etc act as the agent for the publisher.  The retailers have no say in the price and they cannot offer any discounts, coupons etc.  You can search the boards for Agency Model and you'll get hundreds, if not thousands of hits on this particular topic.

So don't be made at B&N, get made at the publishers and let them know what you think.

Inspired Contributor
DrDetroit

While I'm also disgusted with the recent pricing tactics, (regardless of whose fault it is)  I feel in no way deprived thanks to Doug, Kirsty, and others, who post about all the great free, and heavily discounted titles.       

I read primarily non-fiction, and there are at least two free titles featured here per week that I'm very interested in. That's 100 books per year, and plenty on my plate to keep me busy.        

I also purchase the occasional bargain basement priced deal, and fill in the gaps by borrowing from the library.    

As a result, even including the cost of the nookcolor, I'm spending way less than I did before. Until fairly recently, I thought nothing of purchasing numerous backlist non-fiction ebook titles for around $8.00-$9.00. Now, with very little of interest to me priced south of $10.00, I've cut my expenditures way back.    

So publishers, take note: You're strangling the goose that's laying your golden eggs.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

Large_Marge -

Not for long. The Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement, which will probably be signed by the US sometime late this year or early next year, changes the entire concept of public domain and will actually result in a lot of public domain titles becoming protected by copyright again.

And you will be expected to pay for them, even if you got them when they were in the public domain.

Don't count on anything that is good for us and bad for publishers lasting much longer.

New User
KristaMI
0 Kudos

Thank you for the welcome and explanation!  I also appreciate that your reply did not hold any of the condescension that appears to be so rampant among so many of the other bloggers on here. 

I have learned, having read more of these blogs since my post, that B&N is not in control of the pricing of ebooks.  I now understand that the agencies control these prices.  Unlike many others, I do not have a $10 limit on purchasing ebooks.  I was simply stating that I can not justify paying a significant amount more for an ebook than for the hard copy.

Since I love my Nook, I will begin going to my local library and borrowing books for free.  The unfortunate effect on Barnes & Noble will be that I will no longer purchase either hard copies or ebooks from them.  Prior to this, I had not used any other avenue (library included) for obtaining books.

Hopefully enough of us that are dissatisfied with price of ebooks will make an impact on the agencies by not purchasing overpriced ebooks.

I will not mention the price of ebooks on a blog again, as repetitive complaining would absolutely be pointless.

Thanks again for the warm welcome & explanation of ebook pricing! 

Wordsmith
Po1gara
0 Kudos

You're very welcome...:smileyvery-happy: