Contributor
birderpat
0 Kudos

user not activated? frustrated in Ann Arbor!

Hi

I'm still having problems with this nook activation. I'm using a nook & macbook with ade. The epub book is in my nook documents & I get the error each time I try to open it.

So I'm assuming it's the nook that is not activated, not the computer.

I've been unable to find WHERE to activate the nook. If someone can just tell me where & how to activate the nook, I think I'd be all set.

I've gone through a whole bunch of archives & documentation but am getting totally confused since most seem to be dealing with how to use ade.

Hope someone can give me a simple fix. Thanks!!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: user not activated? frustrated in Ann Arbor!

1. Plug your NOOK into your computer.
  2. Navigate to the NOOK drive and delete the folders '.adobe-digital-editions' and 'Digital Editions'. I'm not familiar with Macs; the '.adobe-digital-editions' may be a hidden folder and you might need to do something to see it.
  3. Start Digital Editions with the NOOK still plugged in..
  4. You should get a "nook" entry in Digital Editions' left column.
  5. Drag e-books from your Digital Editions library (right column) to the "nook" entry in the left column.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:
  1. Navigate to the NOOK drive and delete the folders '.adobe-digital-editions' and 'Digital Editions'. I'm not familiar with Macs; the '.adobe-digital-editions' may be a hidden folder and you might need to do something to see it

Also, from what I've read, the Mac sometimes creates a trash can and puts deleted files/folders in the trash on the Nook.  Make sure it doesn't do that, if it does, delete the trash can also, as that will confuse the Nook.

Oh, and did you copy the book from within ADE?  Some books from other sources require you to copy it from within ADE, such as library books.  If it is in My Documents rather than the ADE folder, it sounds like you copied it directly to the Nook, outside of ADE.

Contributor
birderpat
0 Kudos

Now the ADE is not even recognizing the nook.

At half time, I will try & delete everything & start over. Michigan's being decimated anyway:-(

Contributor
birderpat
0 Kudos

Okay. I deleted all the ADE stuff I could find, dumped my trash, downloaded again per your instructions & the nook is again recognized on ADE.

I still get the "user not activated" when I try to open the book.

I have looked all over ADE & don't see how you get the book from "within" ADE.

I'm beginning to feel really dumb.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

birderpat wrote:

Okay. I deleted all the ADE stuff I could find, dumped my trash, downloaded again per your instructions & the nook is again recognized on ADE.

I still get the "user not activated" when I try to open the book.

I have looked all over ADE & don't see how you get the book from "within" ADE.

I'm beginning to feel really dumb.

When you Nook is connected to your computer and ADE is open, the Nook should be one of the shelves in ADE in the list on the left.  You can't have the book open, it has to be the list of books.  You drag and drop it to the Nook shelf.  Then make sure you eject the Nook properly.  Tap check for new content and your book should be there.  You may have to delete the one you already dragged to the Nook before doing it from within ADE.

Contributor
birderpat
0 Kudos

Thanks all for the responses.

I have the book(2 now)  on the nook, in the "my documents". It is when I go to open it, on the nook, that I get the "user not activated" notice.

These are coming from the free ADE library.

I tried clearing out all the ADE files & downloading a new ADE using a different browser per ADE's suggestion. Same thing:-(

Contributor
birderpat
0 Kudos

This was copied from my local library site on the use of ADE:

How do I activate a supported eBook device using an Adobe ID?

To activate an eBook device using an Adobe ID…

1. Connect the eBook device to your computer.
  2. Open Adobe Digital Editions.
    Adobe Digital Editions launches and detects the eBook device. The 'Device Setup Assistant' dialog box is displayed.
  3. Click 'Authorize Device'.
    Adobe Digital Editions activates the eBook device. You can now transfer DRM-protected Adobe eBooks to the device.

Note that both Adobe Digital Editions and the eBook device must be activated with the same Adobe ID to transfer DRM-protected Adobe eBooks to the device.

My ADE has never shown the "Device Setup Assistant" dialogue box & has never "authorized Device". Sounds like if I could find out how to do this (or fix it), the problem would be resolved.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

Click on Library on the open Adobe ADE the drop down will have the option of "Authorize Computer" - it has been noted here that you should use the same ID and password that you use on your nook to puchase from B&N.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: user not activated? Using a Mac?

birderpat wrote:

Thanks all for the responses.

I have the book(2 now)  on the nook, in the "my documents". It is when I go to open it, on the nook, that I get the "user not activated" notice.

These are coming from the free ADE library.

I tried clearing out all the ADE files & downloading a new ADE using a different browser per ADE's suggestion. Same thing:-(

When you say they are in My Documents, are you looking at the on the Nook screen or are you saying they in the My Documents folder on the Nook?

I've believe I've read some other posts on this board that other Mac users have experienced problems getting ADE to work properly and they were able to get the Nook authorized by setting it up on a PC first.  Apparently, Mac's an ADE don't always play well together.  At least that's what I seem to recall.  Maybe someone with a Mac will respond, I changed the subject on my post a little to indicate you are on a Mac.

Contributor
birderpat
0 Kudos

Re: user not activated? Using a Mac?

Well that's a thought.

I am on a Mac. The download shows up in "my documents" on the nook & on the ade page on my mac.

I'll try & find a wiling someone with a pc! Thanks for the idea!

Contributor
birderpat
0 Kudos

Re: user not activated? Bad_device key?

I don't know why now but, for the very first time, the window asking me to authorize the device opened!!!! That's progress.

I put the information in & got an error message:  "error communicating with Adobe server  Bad_Device Key  try again."

My B/N password & the ADE password are the same as suggested by others. Also, I went into Adobe using my password to make sure it worked. It did.

Contributor
birderpat
0 Kudos

I went into the Adobe forum to check out this error message.

I am not very computer savey & hope some of you geeks out there could help me sort out what might be valid & helpful. TiZung's reply(last one) seems to be the only fix but I have no idea what he's talking about!

Here's the link:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/314771

thanks for all the ideas & your patience with me!

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

In order to completely deactivate your nook and start over, you need to delete two files from your nook:

the "Digital Editions" file, and the ".adobe_digital_editions" file.

Unfortunately, the second file is hidden on macs, because it begins with a "."

Use these instructions (http://www.macworld.com/article/51830/2006/07/showallfinder.html) to "unhide" the hidden folders, and then you can delete it, along with the Trash folder that might be holding onto anything you've deleted in the past.  

Then follow the instructions from step one in my signature to use ADE properly.  The only other thing I would note is that, on a Mac, the nook needs to be plugged in first before you open ADE for ADE to notice it.  

Contributor
birderpat
0 Kudos

Re: user not activated? Bad_device key? Fixed!

All of a sudden things started to work. I left for awhile this am, returned, turned it all on & everything worked. The activation for the nook appeared, no error message when I put the info in & my 2 downloaded books are on my nook & readable.

I have no idea why however am grateful & thank all who paid attention to me & helped!!!

Reader 4
MissyMayG
0 Kudos

Re: user not activated? Bad_device key? (Mac user)

I've had this same problem of "user account not activated" on my Nook and looked all over the internet - this string of instructions here is what finally helped for a Mac user.

The key was:

1)  unhiding all folders and files as Mac users can't see the ones that start with the .

2)  then deleting the folders explained above (TWO folders) AND removing from trash bin

3)  Mac users must have the Nook plugged in first before opening Adobe Digital Editions. 

All things things are funkier for Mac than PC's I think.  Unfortunate that we can't just buy a Nook and start using borrowed library books with all this re-setup.  The key was the unhiding of those files which I didn't understand how to do and I kept deleting only one of the two folders and getting nowhere.

THANK YOU!

Reader
hierloom
0 Kudos

For any users with this issue... Try plugging in the device via usb while ADE is open. If ADE does not ask you to activate a new device, close the ADE program and then reopen the ADE program without ever removing the NOOK. At that point ADE will ask you to activate the device. You may require a software update or need to delete the PREinstalled ADE file folder and the Digital Editions file folder off of your NOOK with a computer if not successful on first try. The deletion of these folders, if necessary, can be difficult on some OS X Mac computers since they can not view hidden folders. If this does not work, and you are a local, you can set up an appointment with me at B&N Ann Arbor. If you are not in my area, refer to a Youtube.com video search or search zdnet.com for instructional videos. In the end, your library site SHOULD list all directions or offer links to help you with their lending services. Hope that helps Christian
Any genre has at least one valuable example of creativity that will speak to your soul in a way that inspires change. I believe that it is your duty to seek out such things....
Reader
schrodingers_magpie
0 Kudos

Thank you! After a system ujpdate late last night I was going crazy removing and re-installing, rebooting and re-authorizing and everthing else. Finally success!

Sadly the Macworld article is no longer available. There are numerous places online to find out how to show your hidden files in Finder, but I liked this one: http://www.macinstruct.com/node/411

New User
susanabSB
0 Kudos

tried this including installing updated version. still get the error message (and yes i uninstalled the old version after transferring everything over to the new.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

susanabSB wrote:
tried this including installing updated version. still get the error message (and yes i uninstalled the old version after transferring everything over to the new.

Search the boards for user not  activated, there are a number of threads on this with instructions on how to six.  There's also some links in my signature that may help.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 229 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: