Contributor
goddessqueen
0 Kudos

where are all the free books?

The free nookbook section on bn.com only has 5 pages with about 20 books each. I thought there were millions, especially the ones in public domain. Am I missing something?

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Re: where are all the free books?

From the main page, put in 0.00 as your search terms.  You can also use "0.00 romance" or "0.00 fantasy" to narrow your search a little.

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

goddessqueen wrote:

The free nookbook section on bn.com only has 5 pages with about 20 books each. I thought there were millions, especially the ones in public domain. Am I missing something?

Type 0.00 into the search field and you will find an abundance of free books. Have fun. You will also find other sites that also offer free books such as manybooks.net and kobo. Hope this helps.
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Inspired Contributor
aharey
0 Kudos

You can also check regularly on this page. Doug Pardee has a list going of books that come and go (and they're new books, as opposed to the classics that are available all the time, doing the search the above posters mentioned). Just look for the Free Nookbook Summary thread. He's really good about updating it on an almost daily basis.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

You can also go to Gutenberg Free Press to get the classics for free. It does have tons of book that you can download to Calibre and then sideload to your Nook.

Inspired Contributor
the_incognito
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Doug's free NOOKbook summary thread is my favorite place to look.  I try to check the thread daily; some freebies don't last for long.  I've gotten some good free books this way.  Doug does a great job constantly finding freebies!

Contributor
IslandAway
0 Kudos

As mentioned previously...Doug does a magnificent job of compiling lists for us AND letting us know when they are no longer free. 

Check this board frequently, as I do and keep poking around.  You will get the knack of it.  Worth the search to snag a great book for free.

Frequent Contributor
Kristina_044
0 Kudos

There are several free ebook sites on this forum thread if you're interested.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Free-Ebook-Sites/m-p/844774#U844774

Contributor
goddessqueen
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your replies. I've found the Project Gutenberg website. I'll search BN and see what comes up. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Morgs1499
0 Kudos

I am so glad I found this posting because I was getting a little annoyed with only five pages as well.

Frequent Contributor
onemorrismom
0 Kudos

I like inkmesh.com - they seems to update it hourly at times.  Juse click on free nook books.  You can also check out some of the other ones like Sony and Baen books because they are the same format. 

What I especially like is that they will let you sort by how many stars the book receives.

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

A few other good sites are: smashwords. com, epub.com, and feedbooks.com.
Inspired Contributor
the_incognito
0 Kudos

Here is a list of the 20 best websites to download free e-books.

Baen Books (#19 on the list) is good for fans of sci fi and fantasy.  Since the e-books are DRM free, they can be sideloaded onto the Nook without the use of Calibre.  If you like the first (or sometimes first two) books of the series, the remaining books appear to be very reasonably priced (about $4-$6 each).

Contributor
goddessqueen
0 Kudos

I will be reading for years!!!