Reader
Brimstar
0 Kudos

3.4 Page Turn Sound

Since the update to 3.4 I'm stuck with the page turn sound on.  I may hate the new night mode (as many others have already said), but the page turn sound might just make me want to murder someone.  I don't WANT to have to mute the audio just to have an experience of reading where turning the page doesn't make noise.  There really should be a checkbox to turn this off.  Between this and my original Nook starting to fall apart it may just be time to abandon the Nook and move over to Kindle.  I much prefer some of the things the Nook has done, but the user experience just keeps getting worse.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: 3.4 Page Turn Sound

[ Edited ]
If you don't like the NOOK app, use another. Switching to the proprietary Kindle format is shooting yourself in the foot. You'll have fewer options if you do that. I recommend Mantano Reader. It handles epub, including B&N and ADE DRM-encumbered variants. Meanwhile, I'm running the NOOK app v3.4 on my Samsung Galaxy Note, and I don't have page turn sounds.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I'm running the 3.4 update on my Android phone and I don't have sounds for page turns either.  

The Kindle App for Android doesn't let you change fonts, you can change font size, but no where to change font types.  I find that exceptionally annoying.

New User
starshinedown
0 Kudos

I too am finding the page turn sound incredibly frustrating. I would love LOVE the option to turn it off. Unfortunately, even putting my smartphone on silent doesn't stop the Nook from making the page turn sound.

Developers, if you read this, please give us the option to turn this sound off. It's ruining my reading experience.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

starshinedown wrote:

I too am finding the page turn sound incredibly frustrating. I would love LOVE the option to turn it off. Unfortunately, even putting my smartphone on silent doesn't stop the Nook from making the page turn sound.

Developers, if you read this, please give us the option to turn this sound off. It's ruining my reading experience.

I wonder where this sound is coming from, since I don't recall making any changes to mine and I have no page turn sounds.  I know when my Android software was updated, I wound up with lots of annoying sounds, which I eventually was able to shut off, but I've never had page turn sounds.

bobstro
0 Kudos

I do have system sounds turned off on all my Android devices. Perhaps the page turn sound is hooked to those? If there is such a feature, I agree there should be an option to turn it off. I'd give another reader a try before going so far as switching to the Kindle app!
New User
Steven_Saus
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Being able to turn off an element of UI - like page sounds - is basic functionality. Nobody's saying don't have it - they're saying have an option to turn it off.

This is the coding team shooting B&N/nook in the foot, not the user.

And yes, in case you haven't guessed, I have the same problem and irritation.

[edited b/c I didn't notice the original user I was replying to mea culpa-ing, which is my own mea culpa.]

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Steven_Saus wrote:

Being able to turn off an element of UI - like page sounds - is basic functionality. Nobody's saying don't have it - they're saying have an option to turn it off.

This is the coding team shooting B&N/nook in the foot, not the user.

And yes, in case you haven't guessed, I have the same problem and irritation.

[edited b/c I didn't notice the original user I was replying to mea culpa-ing, which is my own mea culpa.]

Ok, but some of us don't have the sound at all, and we didn't change any settings, so again, is it actually in the app?  And if it is, wouldn't it be universal?

bobstro
0 Kudos

Actually, I'd like to complain that I don't have a page-turn sound. In fact, I'd like to have several to choose from. A selection from "newsprint" to "stone tablet" would suffice.

New User
artmn
0 Kudos

to turn the sound off go into the option and choose reader settings. Make sure 'Enable accessibility-Currently in Beta' is disabled.
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:11 members 239 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: