Reader
Sylenars
0 Kudos

Adobe Digital Edition

Okay, so I received my Nook about 3 weeks ago. My express purpose of buying it was to download books from the library. I have been trying to no avail.

I have tried several fixes I found on the internet, but none have worked so far.

I have unregistered and re-registered my nook. I have deleted Adobe Digital and reinstalled it. I have tried "ejecting" the Nook, I have tried plugging Nook in first then opening ADE and opening ADE then plugging in Nook.

It is too late to return and I am very frustrated. Right now, I have a $300 paper weight. Any more suggestions.

Sylenars

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Adobe Digital Edition

[ Edited ]

I've downloaded several library books and put them on the Nook with no problems.  Since it's been a while since I set it up, I don't exactly remember how I did it.  I remember it didn't take me very long and what I remember is that I had to make sure that Adobe Digital Editions authorizes the Nook. There are instructions on these forums somewhere, did a quick search and there are lots of discussions about this.  You might want to do several searches and see what you can find.

I also found this link that might help.

http://nooktalk.net/news/loading-books-with-adobe-digital-editions-on-your-nook

But it can be done, as many here are doing it without any issues.

Found some more info:

Download Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) and install it on your computer.

Then Launch ADE on the computer, create an account.

Plug in your nook, and Authorize the nook.  Copy the book to the Nook. the books will be in the My Documents section of the Nook, not the B&N Content.  

Read about this on page 111 of the manual located here: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_nook.pdf and the manual is also on your nook.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Try this posting: How to get Secure Adobe PDF and Secure Adobe ePubs on your nook

Also, you can call B&N Customer Service: 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), ask for Digital Support.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee - I knew that post was out there and had just found it and was going to edit my post when you beat me too it.  Funny, if I had looked in my bookmarked threads I'd have found it immediately.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Sylenars,

Have you called Customer Service for troubleshooting? You may call toll-free in the United States at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and ask for Digital Support.  

Hopefully your issue has been resolved, and in either case please let me know.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Reader
Sylenars
0 Kudos

No help so far. I have ADE registered on my computer, but when I plug in Nook, it is not recognized.

My computer brings up Nook as a storage device, but ADE doesn't bring it up as a bookshelf as all of the links here and other websites say it should. I haven't even had the option to register the nook with ADE.

The Nook manual just says to search forums if Nook doesn't come up automatically in ADE.

I tried calling the customer support, but they are closed. What are the hours?

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

oops. edited after I realized your original message said you tried the fixes I suggested.

Reader
Sylenars
0 Kudos

Okay, I unregisterd the nook, went to B&N and created a new registration for the nook and now I have downloaded to the nook folder. Then I transferred the book to "my documents" but when I eject the nook and go to "my library", it doesn't show anything.

Many posts have said you need to look in my documents, but it doesn't give me the option. It just goes back to the home page. I have also found sites that say to load new documents but again, it doesn't give me the option.

I haven't bought anything through B&N, do I have to do this before it lets me access anything else?

Any suggestions on this?

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

No, you don not HAVE to purchase anything from B&N...

First, where did you purchase the eBook from?  If it is an epub you should do the following:

Did you eject the nook using the "my computer" method?  If using Windows make sure to use this method.

This is assuming you have authorized your nook on ADE and transfered the eBook from ADE using the drag and drop method onto the nook.  If you haven't done these things, do them before trying the list below.

I would first reboot the nook.

Goto MY LIBRARY

Goto VIEW MY DOCUMENTS

Click CHECK FOR NEW CONTENT

Reader 2
vetpath
0 Kudos

Go to "my library", select "view my documents", the select "check for new content".  The books you have checked out should then show up (at least that is how it works for me). 

Good luck.

Reader
Sylenars
0 Kudos

My problem is when I hit "my library" the screen turns white then the nook symbol comes back. It never show me the screen to choose "my documents". Sigh...

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Sylenars wrote:

My problem is when I hit "my library" the screen turns white then the nook symbol comes back. It never show me the screen to choose "my documents". Sigh...

Did you just add a PDF document to your nook?

There is a known bug with PDF files that are missing meta data that exactly matches the symptoms you are describing.

Since there is an update due out for the nook tomorrow that is expected to include a fix for this problem I suggest you do nothing until after you update your nook.

Reader 4
Kantor
0 Kudos

I found the definitive fix, what you have to do is delete the adobe digital editions folder on the nook and then do the process of unplug and plug the nook again, that will allow for adobe digital editions to recognize your nook and link it to the account and problem solved, this fix was found in one of the adobe forums

New User
OldBookWormTX
0 Kudos

Re: Adobe Digital Edition (getting B&N books into ADE)

. OK ... how do I reverse the process ... if I have a B&N ePub book ... how to I transfer it into ADE to read it elsewhere (like a Linux system) that has no B&N reader app ?

Specifically ... a file like the NIV Bible (holybibleniv_9780310294146.epub) ... how is that converted/transferred/added to my ADE account ?

When I try to copy it using ADE it complains that the book is from another account.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

OldBookWormTX wrote:

. OK ... how do I reverse the process ... if I have a B&N ePub book ... how to I transfer it into ADE to read it elsewhere (like a Linux system) that has no B&N reader app ?

Specifically ... a file like the NIV Bible (holybibleniv_9780310294146.epub) ... how is that converted/transferred/added to my ADE account ?

When I try to copy it using ADE it complains that the book is from another account.

You don't.

Specifically ADE does not yet support the version/type of DRM that B&N uses, although that should change with the next release.

ADE is used to enforce/manage DRM. It can not be used to remove DRM and move your eBooks to a system that doesn't support the DRM scheme used by the eBooks.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Adobe has said that they intend to add the ability to deal with B&N e-books to Adobe Digital Editions sometime in 2010.

It hasn't happened yet.

New User
OldBookWormTX
0 Kudos

Better late than never ... I had the same answer from other sources.

This really is making me reconsider DRM purchases in ADE for the near term.

I know at least one major 'brick and mortar' chain is ramping up transferable eBooks in a month or two so I may have to 'switch' for some titles if it's not cleared up by then.

Contributor
nenris
0 Kudos

I just got a nook also. I can't download library books onto it either. I called and was told that it was because I have the 1.3 version and Adobe Digital Edition has not caught up yet. I don't know if this is true. I have not been able to get anyone to answer that question. I have talked to both Nook and Adobe and have been told I needed to talk to another department handleing that and the email address never works. I feel like I am getting the run around. Does anyone know the answer to this?

nenris

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

nenris wrote:

I just got a nook also. I can't download library books onto it either. I called and was told that it was because I have the 1.3 version and Adobe Digital Edition has not caught up yet. I don't know if this is true. I have not been able to get anyone to answer that question. I have talked to both Nook and Adobe and have been told I needed to talk to another department handleing that and the email address never works. I feel like I am getting the run around. Does anyone know the answer to this?

nenris

You can't put library books onto your NOOK, is that right?  You have to authorize your NOOK in Adobe Digital Editions and then you have to drag the library books onto your NOOK from within ADE.  When your NOOK is connected and you have ADE open you will see a NOOK icon inside of ADE on the left side.  ADE works fine with 1.3.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

nenris wrote:

nenris

As the OP said, it works fine with 1.3, in fact I just loaded and am reading a new library book right now.  Here are the instructions that I believe Michael (Admin) has previously posted.  You can also search these forums for library books, there are a number of posts on this subject.

How to download library ebooks

Necessary software and authorization:

1.  Download the Adobe Digital Editions software fromhttp://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/.

2.  Open Adobe Digital Editions.  It should prompt you to create an Adobe account or to login to your existing account and then to authorize your computer as one of your five devices. Follow the click through path to authorize the device. 

3.  Attach your nook to your computer via USB which ADE is open.  ADE will prompt you to authorize your nook.  Follow the click through path to authorize the device.

To search for library titles:

1.  Go to your local library’s website or search for a particular library online.  You can search for library websites that contain ebook content from Overdrive’s website at http://search.overdrive.com.  Searching by zip code will give you public libraries that have eBook content within 100 miles of the zipcode.

2.  Once you are the library’s eBook site, you will need a library card/account in order to checkout eBooks.

3.  Once logged in, you can search for titles in the following ways

• Entering title/keywords in the search bar
  • Browse by format
  • Browse by subject

4.  eBook titles will appear with format specific indicators (i.e. PDF or ePub) and with icons to display what devices it can be downloaded to.  (Note there is not a way to directly put it on your eReader device, which is why you need to use Adobe Digital Editions)

5.  When trying borrow an eBook title from the library, there will be two options.  The option name varies from library to library but they have the same idea.  For this guide, I will use New York Public Library’s terms and format, which is to request the item or add the item to your eList

• eList is adding the items to your account “queue” in order to “check out” the title.  “Check out” means downloading it to the location on the PC that Adobe Digital Editions is authorized on.
  • Requesting an item – The title that you select might be checked out already by another individual.  You can put a request for the title and the library will email you when the title becomes available to borrow.

What to do with the title:

1.  Once you have checked out a title from your local library, download it to your computer.  Once you hit the download button, the file that you will be prompted to download is a “.acsm” file.

2.  Click open and the file will open up in ADE and refresh your library with new content.  The title will display the amount of days you have left in the loan period.  You can also save the .acsm file to your PC and open the file in ADE.

3.  Go to the library view.  Drag the title to the “nook” icon.

4.  Undock the nook from your computer.  (Don't forget to eject the Nook first by right mouse clicking in Windows explorer and selecting eject.  Wait until the Nook screen changes back to the Nook)

5.  In the Library, open My Documents.

6.  The title should be available to be read for the period of time specified by the library.  (If not, tap check for new content)

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 232 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: