Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Any issues with the Android App?

So for my birthday my husband says I can get a new mp3 player to replace my 5th gen nano. I think I've decided on the Galaxy Player 4.2. I'd like to be able to get the nook app and use it to read ebooks when I don't have my nook with me. Are there any big issues/annoyances with the android app I should be aware of? I tried looking through the messages, but I'm having trouble deciding what is an issue with the app vs what is user error or ranting. 

I probably won't be using it to read books very often. I usually have my NST with me everywhere, but I was thinking it would be handy for times I may have forgotten it, don't feel like carrying both my mp3 player and my nook, or forgot to charge my nook (I'm bad about remembering to charge things).

Oh, and if anyone has a Galaxy Player, thoughts would be welcome. I don't have a smartphone and refuse to buy another apple ipod. 

A3A
Inspired Scribe
A3A
0 Kudos

Re: Any issues with the Android App?

The Nook app for Android runs smoothly on a HTC Flyer and Kindle Fire. The Galaxy Player 4.2 is a solid performer, running on 2 year old hardware and last year's software. Good battery performance.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

The only issue I've had with the Android app is that on screens bigger than 3.7 inches the smallest font is still kinda big.  It's really not much of an issue, as issues go, LOL.  The app is pretty smooth.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Thanks. Sounds like it will work fine for me, then. I don't need it to do anything fancy. I don't really have much experience with apps for these little devices. I've played with the Galaxy  Player in Best Buy and looked at all the reviews. I think I'll be happy as long as I can listen to music/podcasts, watch my video podcasts (that's why I'm replacing the nano), and occasionally use it to check email when I'm out of the house. I just signed my kids up for their fall classes and realized I'm going to be out of the house a lot.

bobstro
0 Kudos

frantastk wrote:

[...] Are there any big issues/annoyances with the android app I should be aware of? I tried looking through the messages, but I'm having trouble deciding what is an issue with the app vs what is user error or ranting.  

If you're primarily interested in your NOOK Library, things generally work well. The only disappointment might be if you subscribe to a magazine that's not supported on the app (e.g. Conde Nast's Wired Magazine). Other enhanced magazines work fine (Discover, PopSci). For casual access of a few books, it should be just fine.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

frantastk wrote:

[...] Are there any big issues/annoyances with the android app I should be aware of? I tried looking through the messages, but I'm having trouble deciding what is an issue with the app vs what is user error or ranting.  

If you're primarily interested in your NOOK Library, things generally work well. The only disappointment might be if you subscribe to a magazine that's not supported on the app (e.g. Conde Nast's Wired Magazine). Other enhanced magazines work fine (Discover, PopSci). For casual access of a few books, it should be just fine.

Thanks for the heads up. I currently only have the NST and don't subscribe to any magazines, since I prefer them in colour, but it's good to note for future reference. The one magazine I was enjoying on my NST stopped being supported on the device (yes, Writers magazine, I'm looking at you!! :smileyfrustrated: )

bobstro
0 Kudos

They did that to me too with Discover and Popular Science getting "enhanced" without warning. I can no longer read them on my NST, though they do work on the NOOK Android app, unlike Wired.

Inspired Contributor
jlg881
0 Kudos

I currently have the Nook App on my HTC Evo (Flyer), My Samsung 4G smart phone (I can't remember what it is called), my Samsung Galaxy Tab and my Galaxy Player 5.0 and it has worked the way I have needed it too.  No issues here.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 934 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: