Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Re: Any plans for Nook for Linux?

Since I don't have a nook color, tablet or hd I can't check the nook store, but have you checked to see if Google Music is compatible with your computer and your nook hd? If it is you might be able to transfer the mp3 files you ripped from cd's through it.
New User
geoMulak

Come on folks.  You can lock an app down in Linux if you want to!  You can even make it proprietary if you want to.  You could even charge $1 or $2 if you want to.  You have done it for Android, which is a distro of Linux essentially.  Why not for Linux or a distro that you prefer?  There are some of us that prefer not to work in the other OS unless we absolutely have to.  You will get a greater readership, and a loyal following.  A wider, broader, and intelligent audience. 

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Linux app.  As of today, only the Win8 app is showing available on the web page listing the apps for computers.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
ccrosby3
0 Kudos

OK, I am with you, can not do much of anything if you are running Linux, and as far as I am concerned we should have been told that before the purchase, So, me being me I started testing stuff, Seems if you run an arch based Linux like Manjaro and wine you can access everything, Debian stuff just does not work, mainly, I suspect, because of the copyright stuff. There is a way around all this but it should not be needed. Heck we paid for this stuff, were never told WINDOWS ONLY. Pretty much lousy on B&N's stuff and as a result I will probably go back to paperbacks, which will not come from B&N just in spite,. They always seem to work no matter where I am. Storage can be a problem though :-)

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

ccrosby3 wrote:

OK, I am with you, can not do much of anything if you are running Linux, and as far as I am concerned we should have been told that before the purchase, So, me being me I started testing stuff, Seems if you run an arch based Linux like Manjaro and wine you can access everything, Debian stuff just does not work, mainly, I suspect, because of the copyright stuff. There is a way around all this but it should not be needed. Heck we paid for this stuff, were never told WINDOWS ONLY. Pretty much lousy on B&N's stuff and as a result I will probably go back to paperbacks, which will not come from B&N just in spite,. They always seem to work no matter where I am. Storage can be a problem though :-)

I don't know what you paid for, but nothing B&N sells is WINDOWS ONLY.  And if you bought something and assumed you could use it on Linux when there is not and never has been a Linux app, that's pretty much on you.

Yes, it would be great in B&N (and everyone else) made apps for Linux, but place the correct blame.  It's their fault they don't have an app, but it's not their fault that you didn't do your homework when you made your purchases.

MacMcK1957

The numbers I've seen show Linux holding on to a pretty consistent market share of a little over 1% of the desktop market.  How much would it cost for B&N to develop a Nook app for that platform, and what would be the expected return on a user base that small?

What exactly did you pay for?  Did you buy e-books before checking to see if there was a compatible reader?  Seens unwise.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

I just double-checked, and I am able to read many of my B&N purchases using the "Read Instantly" feature with Chormium (Chrome-derived) browser on Linux. I can also download the (DRM-encumbered) epub files using the same browser onto my Linux computer.

The bigger problem reading on a Linux computer is DRM, not lack of a reader app. Calibre works fine for reading non-DRM encumbered epubs. Strip the DRM, and that problem goes away, though that's another topic.

So, short of reading on my laptop while traveling, I can get done what I need to today without an app with B&N epubs as-is. As time goes on, I suspect the likelihood of seeing an app on Linux is diminishing. B&N was vague in their FAQ:

Will there be a Linux-compatible NOOK app soon?

B&N is working to support many different platforms in the future, but we have not made any specific announcements yet on Linux.

Given the recent moves, I'd say it's "not likely to happen." The good news is that you can easily work around most issues. Note that you'll have essentially the same issues with any ebook provider that uses DRM, so unless you commit to buying only non-DRMed ebooks, be prepared to jump through a few hoops. Or stick with paperbacks.

New User
ProLine_21
0 Kudos

Nook for PC, and Mac but not for Linux? I too am a Linux fan for many reasons. My Nook Simple Touch with Glow LIght was stolen. Thank God I didn't lose the books I already bought! Thanks to my Nook for PC application. I run XP, 7 and a few flavors of Linux, but maybe time has come to go Kindle. I'm going to see if Kindle supports LInux, if so, I'm in. And bye bye Nook. :smileysad: Unbelievable to me that such a great opperating system is not supported by a book seller! Heck no one from Barnes and Noble has even replied to these posts! ... lol... pffft and tisk tisk.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

Before you get too excited:

1. There is no native Kindle app for Linux today. Amazon offers the Cloud Reader, which is essentially the same as B&N's. You can read your books via a web browser. 
  2. Amazon books are also encrypted with DRM. You must remove Amazon's DRM just like B&N's to use ebook reading software that doesn't support the scheme natively. While you can find other readers that support B&N's DRM (essentially Adobe), Amazon's is proprietary. To the best of my knowledge, only Amazon devices and apps can read it.
  3. Removal of DRM from Kindle books is nearly identical to the procedure for removal of DRM for B&N ebooks. Once you have either B&N (epub) or Amazon (mobi) ebooks in Calibre, you can manipulate them however you like.
  4. Downloading Kindle books requires the Kindle for PC app. Unlike B&N, you cannot download the DRM-encumbered files directly using a browser. This means that replacing those ebooks on your stolen reader would have required you to get the Kindle app running on Windows/WINE to download the (DRMed) ebooks. With B&N, you can download the (DRMed) ebooks directly.

I think you'll find that the Linux landscape for Kindle is nearly identical as for NOOK. B&N offers the advantage of using the epub document format, which is an open standard. To use Amazon's ebooks on anything but a Kindle, you'll need to both strip DRM and (probably, unless using Calibre's reader) convert the format to something like (surprise!) epub. In other words: You'll be adding a step to an already annoying process if you go Amazon.

Going with any other ebook source (e.g. Kobo) puts you in the land of Adobe Digital Editions, which require similar contortions. Here again, to the best of my knowledge, there is no native ADE app, so you're looking at a PC version under WINE. After you get the files, the steps to get them readable on Linux are nearly identical.

In short: Your problem is DRM. Sadly, there's little difference, at least today, between platforms.

As to lack of B&N answers: This is a user support forum. B&N rarely makes an official showing here. If you get mad here, you're just taking it out on fellow users. Please don't shoot the messenger.

A native app would be cool. I've yet to see one from any manufacturer.

New User
ProLine_21
0 Kudos

Okay. No kindle then. Thanks for the info :smileyhappy:. I've seen the epub thing, Maybe its time I used it more. Yes I saw the Cloud reader during my investigation into Kindle and Linux. It says you can download the book so that if you lose connection, or as in my case would like to shut down the wifi adapter to save laptop battery life you can do so. I take it Nook's variant does the same thing? More investigation needed. :smileyhappy:
New User
ProLine_21
0 Kudos

I wasn't shooting anyone really. That's pretty much against the law. So all these users are asking this question in the wrong place? hmmm Where is the right place? And again, thanks for the info, fellow user! :smileyhappy:
bobstro
0 Kudos

Not sure about Cloud Reader and downloading, nor what it downloads, sorry.

I think you need to think in terms of developing a strategy for reading ebooks on Linux in a DRM-encumbered world. The solutions tend to be the same, regardless of who you buy the DRM-encumbered books from (meaining they're annoying and DRM is only a hinderance to the honest people.) I'd suggest getting familiar with Calibre, which does work wonderfully under Linux. It provides a very nice reader, which can handle a number of formats, including epub and mobi, provided the ebook is not laden with DRM. Look into Calibre plugins for dealing with DRM, and check out the legality of doing so in your jurisdiction before doing so.

There are, of course, some DRM-free sources, but not every book is available in such formats. Try to support those providers with your dollars if you can!

Good news for the techie-inclined: O'Reilly books are available direct from their website without DRM. At least your covered for some programming and tech titles.

keriflur
0 Kudos

ProLine_21 wrote:
So all these users are asking this question in the wrong place? hmmm Where is the right place?

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Ideas-Suggestions/idb-p/NOOKSuggestions

You can post in the above forum, or you can contact B&N directly via email or snail mail.

bobstro

In other words: This is the forum for users to yap with each other, not with B&N. We sometimes get malcontents in here that start getting abusive with us, rather than B&N, which is a drag when you're trying to help them with a problem.

New User
ProLine_21
0 Kudos

It finally dawned on me "What about WINE?!". Nook for PC will run via WINE, though it took some finagling, I was FIANLLY able to download and read my books while running Linux, even if using WINE and nook for PC. I did get and try to figure out how to get Calibre to do it, but I just dont have the time right now. I need to read and study for the CCENT I have coming up in just days. So those of us that it hasnt occurred to, use WINE, winetricks and there is a third package I cant remember the name of right now that got it working for me. I hope Cisco books are avaible via Calibre! I want to try it out. Cisco books arent the only books I read though...I see Calibre in my future :smileyhappy:. It looks great so far.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Cisco books are definitely available as epub ebooks from B&N. I'm teaching the CCNA classes remotely for a group at work, and our first candidate just got her CCENT certification a couple of weeks ago. I teach from the ebooks while on the road each week. 

If you'd like to avoid using WINE, just download the books on your NOOK device directly. You can then pull the file off to your Linux PC for working in Calibre. The file will still have B&N's DRM, so you'll have to contend with that, but adding WINE to the mix wouldn't change anything. This approach does not work so easily for Kobo or Kindle books, but works fine for B&N sourced books.

With books from Kobo or epubs from the library, you have to process the .acsm file they hand you. You might need WINE for ADE, although I have been able to use Mantano Reader on Android to handle .acsm files.

Kindle books are more annoying. You can purchase and check them out from a browser, but I always have to push them to Kindle for PC on Windows to get the actual file. At least I don't recall being able to get the actual ebook file any other way.

Frequent Contributor
ImpliedConsent
0 Kudos

ProLine_21 wrote:

It finally dawned on me "What about WINE?!". Nook for PC will run via WINE...[snip]

+1 for a native 'nook for Linux'; however, WINE and 'nook for PC' work just fine on your Linux distribution. I'm not sure what the future of B&N is, but whatever happens, I'm downloading a personal copy of my books - and taking whatever steps are necessary to insure read-ability regardless of device.

New User
atai
0 Kudos

June - last edited June

Just for your general information, since people sometimes have trouble with the Nook Reader for PC running on top of GNU/Linux (commonly Linux) using Wine (some networking error or such), Linux users can go to

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookstudy/index.asp

and download Nook Study for PC.

that installs and works fine running on top of Wine on both Fedora and Ubuntu. Nook Study also supports the "page perfect" books that the Nook PC Reader software did not support
New User
Todd_Carnes
0 Kudos

I don't really see the problem.

I run GNU/Linux on my laptop. Calibre runs natively on my laptop. When I plug my Nook into my laptop, Calibre has no problems whatsoever with seeing and interacting with my Nook. If I want to read one of my ebooks on my laptap, it's very simple to transfer the book to my Calibre library and read it on my laptop.

There's no need for a B&N Nook app on ANY platform. Just install Calibre and be done with it. It runs on Windows, Mac, Gnu/Linux, etc.
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Calibre won't sync reading positions between devices. You probably have to strip DRM to get full functionality (recommended). I do not believe you can purchase NOOK books via Calibre, but may well be wrong on that point. I don't believe Calibre will handle NOOK magazine subscriptions.

All that said, you certainly do NOT need the NOOK app to use a NOOK device with Linux.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 272 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: