Correspondent
TravP

Any plans for Nook for Linux?

I'd like to encourage B&N to release a Nook app for Linux. It seems like it would only help B&N by increasing their customer base to Linux users. As it stands, I feel a little left out, since the Nook for PC app doesn't quite work perfectly in Wine, the Linux Windows emulator. If there was a native Linux app, I'd be far more likely to read my Nookbooks on my laptop in addition to my Nook e-ink reader.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Re: Any plans for Nook for Linux?

I'd like to second this suggestion.

While it works OK for me thru Wine (which I hate to use), native support should be provided.

Unfortunately, based on the shoddy support for Mac, this request will probably be ignored.

New User
Dameocrat
0 Kudos

I would third this suggestion.  Nook only works on wine sometimes depending on whether the new wine update and nook for pc like each other.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

You're right about the wine problem.  It has stopped working for me following an update. 

New User
MattCartwright

Hi, I'd just like to put in another vote. I'd like a Nook app for Linux.

New User
sbar

+1

I do own Nook Color and I would love to be able to read my stuff on my Linux Laptop too :smileywink:

Thanks B&N

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

I'd also like to see the NOOK software available in a native Linux version.

New User
jordi_ebrenc
0 Kudos

Me too. I'd like to read my ebooks from my linux desktop.

New User
riseinside
0 Kudos

Add another late vote for a Linux version of the Nook reading app. Just switched over full time on my laptop and would love to read through some of the magazines I subscribe to. 

Reader 4
NiveusLuna
0 Kudos

While I'd love to see a Nook for Linux edition myself, you have to remember that, while we are strong as a community, we Linux users are still a very small fraction of their customer base. I think they'd rather finish up Nook for Mac and get it working, then consider whether Nook for Linux is worth their time and money. Remember, programming takes funds, especially proprietary syncing stuff, and it just might not be worth it to B&N to make a product for a very, very small portion of their userbase.

tl;dr: It'd be really nice, but I don't think it'll happen. 

New User
gcummins
0 Kudos

Google Play supports Linux just fine, and you can also use their content on Nook readers if you want. (This part isn't so seamless. I did have to use a Mac copy of Adobe DE to activate my Nook for Adobe DE content (one time), and also have to use wine to run ADE in order to download new books for loading to the Nook, but A) ADE seems to work consistently under wine, and B) this is only to support the Nook hardware. Reading on the linux desktop - with chrome -  and on an android is natively supported.) 

I like B&N, and I understand the sentiment that they might not want to waste their valuable time supporting Linux users, but I'd like to point out that their competitors are happy to support Linux, and I don't really like B&N enough to switch to Windows (or even Mac). Thus, they have a choice, and so do we. I'll start buying their books again when they support my platform. 

Alternately, of course, if they were to stop using silly DRM, then they would automatically natively support Linux (via many nice ePub readers, like Calibre and FBReader). I would certainly prefer this to a Linux app. If I have a choice to avoid DRM when I buy content, I always will, even if I have to pay a good deal more. The music industry has already figured out that they make more money without DRM. I'm confident that it will just take the book industry a few years to clue in and catch up. 

New User
lanphan
0 Kudos

+1

it's appreciated if we have Nook for Linux. Thanks.

New User
mwclark
0 Kudos

Adding my vote as well.

New User
TheMadAdmin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yeah Linux Version Would Be Good.

:robotvery-happy:

Or how about a Google Chrome Browser App?  That is cross platform compatible. 

New User
ChicagosHeart
0 Kudos

Another vote here. If and when my nook breaks I'll be looking to replace it with something that has books I can read on Linux too.

New User
billie0w
0 Kudos

There kinda is a Nook ap for Linux. It's labeled for Android but Android is basically a Linux distro. I don't klnow if Nook Android would work on a standard Linux distro. It shouldn't be to hard to port one from Android to a standard Linux distro. if it didn't.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

if you have an Internet connection I assume Nook for Web should work in the Chrome browser.

New User
scottro11
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I finally got around to looking into ebooks from NYPL. I can use a Nook version--in which case, I need a Windows or Mac, have to register with Adobe, and so on.

Or, I can choose Kindle, log into my Amazon account, which many people have, even without a Kindle, and get the book in the web app, readable on any Linux machine with a browser.

Nook for Web doesn't do that. I don't know the legalities of the situation, but I would think that if Amazon can get it to you through your web browser, B&N should be able to do the same.

As it stands, despite owning a Nook, and not a Kindle, as someone who doesn't use Windows or Mac, it's far more convenient for me, if borrowing an ebook from the library, to use the Kindle version.

New User
Saturn2020
0 Kudos

Today I bought a Nook HD+ and after getting it set up I find I can't access it from my PC.  I use Linux!  How about some LInux support!

New User
glashley
0 Kudos

I just found out that I cannot load music on my Nook HD or my husband's Nook HD+ just because I use Linux on my PC.  What a bummer.  I am really disappointed and wish I had known before I bought the two Nooks.   I think that B&N should give a disclaimer on their website about the Nook HDs incompatibility with Linux. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 73 members 1,146 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: