Correspondent
MrToy
0 Kudos

Are there any indstructions for Nook for PC?

[ Edited ]

I downloaded and installed Nook for PC just to get my feet wet with ebooks. I don't have a dedicated ereader.

Nook for PC doesn't have any instructions or HELP files, nor does it have traditional menus. There's a "User Guide" tab but that just has a friendly greeting message with no useful information.It seems like a pretty bare bones, you're on your own program.

Some classic books seem to have been included with the program, but I'm not particulalry interested in them. I tried to download a free book from B&N's free ebook selection, but it wanted me to enter a credit card number (for a free book???) but I don't know if I like this thing well enough to turn my credit card number over to B&N just yet. 

"Settings" is confusing. The only options are font size and margin width. The sample font size on the settings page is larger than actual book font sizes, which makes it hard to set.

The "users guide" says you can adjust fonts, margins, and line spacing, but only the first two options show up in the settings page.

Black text on a pure white background is too bright for my eyes. Is there a way to tone  it down without adjusting my monitor's brightness setting?

The "User guide" also says "We have more than half a million free classics available from Google Books for you to download." Where are these found? Are they on the B&N website (implied by the "We have....") or Google?

So far I'm unimpressed. Can anyone help me make this work?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Are there any indstructions for Nook for PC?

MrToy wrote:

I downloaded and installed Nook for PC just to get my feet wet with ebooks. I don't have a dedicated ereader.

Nook for PC doesn't have any instructions or HELP files, nor does it have traditional menus. There's a "User Guide" tab but that just has a friendly greeting message with no useful information.It seems like a pretty bare bones, you're on your own program.

Some classic books seem to have been included with the program, but I'm not particulalry interested in them. I tried to download a free book from B&N's free ebook selection, but it wanted me to enter a credit card number (for a free book???) but I don't know if I like this thing well enough to turn my credit card number over to B&N just yet. 

"Settings" is confusing. The only options are font size and margin width. The sample font size on the settings page is larger than actual book font sizes, which makes it hard to set.

The "users guide" says you can adjust fonts, margins, and line spacing, but only the first two options show up in the settings page.

Black text on a pure white background is too bright for my eyes. Is there a way to tone  it down without adjusting my monitor's brightness setting?

The "User guide" also says "We have more than half a million free classics available from Google Books for you to download." Where are these found? Are they on the B&N website (implied by the "We have....") or Google?

So far I'm unimpressed. Can anyone help me make this work?

Before you can download anything from B&N, including free ebooks, you need to set up a B&N account with a default credit card.  B&N uses the credit card for DRM purposes.

Nook_Engineer
0 Kudos

Josienjoe is right - B&N uses the credit card information for DRM purposes.  Once you have an account, though, we have tons of free books available for you to read.

In future versions of NOOK for PC, we'll be moving those controls to the reading pane so that you can see the settings change the text that you're reading directly.

You're correct, there is no way to adjust the line spacing in NOOK for PC.  I'll make sure we have a bug filed on this. 

At this time, no, there is no way in NOOK for PC to change the color theme for the reading pane (to set it to black background/light grey text, for example).

The user guide is a bit out of date.  We now have more than a million free books and they can be found on the B&N website.  If you go to the "NOOK Books" department on the website, you can see recent free NOOK books by clicking on the link in the left hand menu pane.  You can also find free NOOK books by searching for a title (or browsing a subject area) and then sorting by price.

If you're looking for something a bit more feature-rich than NOOK for PC, you might be interested in trying out NOOK Study for PC.  It's targeted at college students who can buy/rent e-textbooks, but it also works for general ebook reading.  The user interface is of a newer generation than NOOK for PC and is closer to the NOOK Color, NOOK for Android and NOOK for iPhone/iPad. 

You can learn more about (and download) NOOK Study at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookstudy/index.asp.

-Jeffrey 

Correspondent
MrToy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nook_Engineer wrote:

If you're looking for something a bit more feature-rich than NOOK for PC, you might be interested in trying out NOOK Study for PC.  It's targeted at college students who can buy/rent e-textbooks, but it also works for general ebook reading.  The user interface is of a newer generation than NOOK for PC and is closer to the NOOK Color, NOOK for Android and NOOK for iPhone/iPad. 

You can learn more about (and download) NOOK Study at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookstudy/index.asp.

-Jeffrey 

THANK YOU JEFFREY!!!

I downloaded Nook Study and it's GREAT! I don't need the textbook features, but the regular book reading options are vastly better than the Nook for PC. It has six different fonts, easier resizing options, a cleaner interface, text to speech, notetaking ability, and so much more. It doesn't appear to have customizable text/background colors, but somehow its still easier on my eyes than the Nook for PC was. And it comes with an instruction manual!

Just wondering, why are you hiding this wonderful PC reader in the textbook section? It should be in the NOOK apps page where everyone can find it. That Nook for PC is junk, and nearly turned me off of BN ebooks forever (I was THIS CLOSE to downloading the Kindle for PC app). If you guys have any business sense, get rid of that Nook for PC program ASAP. It's an embarassment to your company.

Now if you'll excuse me i'm going ebook shopping. :smileyhappy:

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Nook_Engineer wrote:

-Jeffrey 

If you are not a student, do you just pick one at random? <g>

LisaB

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

If you are not a student, do you just pick one at random? <g>

LisaB

I used "Other" 

Correspondent
MrToy
0 Kudos

I used "Other" too. .It's waaaay at the bottom of the list.

Contributor
djinks
0 Kudos

Great advice.  Thanks Jeffery.  I'm uninstalling the Nook for PC.  It is not ready for prime time.  Nook Study is the winner.

-Dan

Nook_Engineer wrote:

-Jeffrey 

New User
juliette503
0 Kudos

You're correct, there is no way to adjust the line spacing in NOOK for PC.  I'll make sure we have a bug filed on this.

I'M WAITING FOR THE FIX FOR THIS. CAN YOU TELL ME IF IT WILL BE A LONG WAIT.  I ORDERED A FREE EBOOK, AND THE TEXT IS SO SQUEEZED TOGETHER IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO COMFORTABLY READ.  

Reader 2
pmrx
0 Kudos

So I take it there are no instructions for the Nook for PC. I have it on my desktop and cannot figure out how to get out of the book that loaded when I opened it to read something else that should be there.

I went to the location that shows BN ebooks in it, but trying to open the book through OPEN WITH was a bust as well.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where one might find a user manual or a dedicated forum for using it?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pmrx wrote:

So I take it there are no instructions for the Nook for PC. I have it on my desktop and cannot figure out how to get out of the book that loaded when I opened it to read something else that should be there.

I went to the location that shows BN ebooks in it, but trying to open the book through OPEN WITH was a bust as well.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where one might find a user manual or a dedicated forum for using it?

In Nook for PC, you should see a tab sticking out from the left side of the screen.  If you click it, the menu will appear, and you'll be able to go back to the library or the store.

New User
fakename
0 Kudos

Me too! I was just abut to ask for a Kindle for Christmas, because I've been so fed up with organizing my books. I want them on my Pc, not our there 'somewhere' where it could be hard to get at them. The new Nook study appears to resolve that problem.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:72 members 554 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: