Distinguished Correspondent
luvbooksCM
0 Kudos

B&N App. for Ipod Touch not updating....

I'm out of state traveling and brought my ipod touch with me. Didn't bring my Nook since I'm traveling extremely light. I purchased a couple of books and also some free ebooks, but for some reason my B&N app will not update. It seems that anything I purchased after Oct. 19th will not update on my ipod touch. I'm not home to see if it will update on my nook or PC, but I've never had this happen before. I have a strong wifi signal (at the B&N store I visited and the Apple store), the little spinny thing on the app. turns like it usually does when updating, but no downloads of any purchases. I do not get an error message and I can tap the "Shop for ebooks" or "my account" and it will go to the store without a problem, so I know the wifi connection is working. I tried my Amazon app and it synched just fine, so it's not the ipod.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Like I said, I'm traveling, so I don't have the advantage of being at my house to check my desktop app or nook for dowload problems. And this just happened recently. My last purchases of Oct. 19th downloaded just fine on the ipod.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Reader 4
gellerr
0 Kudos

Re: B&N App. for Ipod Touch not updating....

Same thing happened to me. I downloaded a book over the weekend but can't download the one I bought on Tuesday.  Is it because I am using the old BN app?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

You are likely using the old version of our iPhone app.

Try this....Nook for iPhone.

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

I was under the impression that we would be allowed to continue using the old reader.  What happened?

Contributor
ThamasD
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I do not like the NOOK application for my iPod.  Reading is not as fluid, and the pages look horrible.  If I am spending my money in your store, I should be allowed to have access with ANY of your applications.  B&N should have sent out a statement that the BN Ereader app would no longer be of service. GREATLY disappointed...this may very well change my mind about purchasing the NookColor...with as much money as I spend on books through B&N, it would be very nice to actually be able to read them.

Reader 4
gellerr
0 Kudos

I have the nook app but much prefer the older BN app.  Please restore the functionality to the BN app.

Distinguished Correspondent
luvbooksCM
0 Kudos

I had no idea there was another app for B&N ebooks for ipods. This took me by surprise. I did not realize the B&n ereader app was going to become obsolete. I'll give it a try, but from what I've read on other threads, it sounds like it is inferior to the B&N ereader. Is it true you have to have wifi to read using the Nook app? I don't have wifi at my house so this could be problematic. I'll give it a try.......

New User
C3_556
0 Kudos

Barnes & Noble has done a VERY poor job of thinking about customer retention in cutting off users' ability to use the eReader app.  There was no notice that this would happen, and the only way to figure it out is to read the customer forums.  I have not downloaded the Nook iPhone app intentionally becuase the reviews are so poor, and I'm not going to download it now.  I'm simply going to take my business elsewhere. 

I was thinking about buying a NookColor before they pulled the rug out from under the eReader, but that's not happening now.  This is a clear indication that B&N is not concerned about creating an effective migration path for their customers.  The eReader was free, but I'm not investing in an eReader and giving them the chance to do the same thing to me twice. 

Reader
Hellodooney
0 Kudos

I am very upset about this too. The Nook app for Apple devices sucks. The B&N eReader app was 100% better. I recently noticed too that my new eBook purchases do not work. I actually noticed this when my eBooks became NOOKbooks.

That must be the reason that are not uploading and I am not happy about that. There are so many more options in the eReader.

I hope they listen to our posts.

Contributor
issy21
0 Kudos

This is bad news.  The reviews of the Nook app kept me loyal to the B&N ereader app, which I love.  But the books I have are it?  That's a blow.  I was even willing to forsake syncing to my Nook after the update, just to keep the ereader. 

Why can't the Nook app function as well as the B&N ereader app?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

I do read all posts here and have forwarded your concerns to our Apps Team.

FYI.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

B&N is no longer supporting the B&N ereader application for any technology, the iPod touch, iPhone, iPad...  They are forcing the nook app on us all.  

I went to download a new book I bought yesterday to my B&N ereader on my iPod and I couldn't get the app to download it.  After trying several geek tricks I was forced to call B&N tech support.  The tech support group couldn't get it to work either.  I told them that it wouldn't even let me sign in.  I asked if they are still supporting the B&N ereader now that nook is out and they couldn't answer my question.  I asked them what kind of tech support group was this, they had no answers for any of the issues I questioned.  

Finally I spoke to a supervisor and asked if they were no longer supporting the ereader app and he said (after I just about put the words in his mouth) that they are only supporting and allowing the nook application to download newly purchased books.  Poor tech support and a poor application, sorry mix.

I asked if there was another reader I could use (for my ipod touch) and told them how much I HATE the nook app, due to it constantly crashing (not to mention other issues) and they said no, because of their pdb format you can only read on nook.  NOT true, you can add all of your books to the Stanza ereader (for iPod, I don't know about other items) and read them just fine.  You can customize it any way you choose and it run great!!!  It will ask you the first time to put in the credit card info you used to purchase the book, it won't charge you twice, just the original purchase you made through B&N.  This is one person who will not be forced to use their crappy app.

For the desktop I still use the B&N ereader, I just download the books from the website and pull them up in the B&N ereader  I still refuse to use the nook application, there is nothing that I like about it.  And like many others, once my gift card runs out, will no longer be a B&N customer.

Sign me Frustrated,

Pinky:smileymad:

Contributor
FredC
0 Kudos

Amazon.com here I come!!
Contributor
FredC
0 Kudos

I am now using the Apple iBook reader.  While not as good as the eReader app was, it is heads and shoulders above the Nook app.  I feel B&N has let me down and I don't plan to come back.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Hi FredC,

I might be able to help you with your iphone/ipod issues.  Someone on one of the other boards told me about the original ereader from B&N called ereader from fictionwise.

If you go to ereader.com and make an account, totally free, then download the application for the iphone or ipod.  Next, after you are logged in (on your computer) click the button in the upper right hand corner that says "Personal Content", there you can upload your B&N purchases.  Next go to your iphone/ipod and run the ereader application and you can download your B&N purchases.  Then you can to read them on your iphone or ipod.  They also have applications for your computer if you read them there too!

I hope this helps, let me know how you make out :smileyhappy:

Pinky

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:64 members 453 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: