Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

B&N Desktop Reader - formatting and missing text

Hello.

I anticipate getting a nook here soon as a gift and so I went ahead and downloaded the B&N Desktop Reader and purchased an eBook which I have been reading on my PC. (I'm on Windows 7).

I've noticed an issue when I change the line spacing in the Settings. If I change the line spacing there is missing text when I turn the page. If I resize the window the text comes into view, but the situation still occurs when I change the page again.

Is anyone else experiencing this on the desktop eReader? I hope this does not occur on the nook. I'm looking to start reading eBooks since I can adjust the font size. (I'm starting to need bigger fonts to easily read.)

Thank you.

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Desktop Reader - formatting and missing text

Inspired Contributor
Mark_F
0 Kudos

Patience my padawon learner...

I have a very similar issue but it occurs when the screen size is changed not when the page is turned. On Windows XP.  I submitted a case about the issue but after a couple 24-48 hour wait email messages I was eventually asked to call customer service (I hate it when they do that) so I guess they really didn't want to fix it :smileyhappy:  I still think they will correct it in future versions.

-Mark

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

Mark_F wrote:

I have a very similar issue but it occurs when the screen size is changed not when the page is turned. On Windows XP.  I submitted a case about the issue but after a couple 24-48 hour wait email messages I was eventually asked to call customer service (I hate it when they do that) so I guess they really didn't want to fix it :smileyhappy:  I still think they will correct it in future versions.

-Mark

Thank you, Mark. :smileyhappy:

I was wondering if I was the only one. I'm on Windows 7 and I've noticed some issues with different software products on Windows 7. I just downloaded the latest version of the B&N desktop eReader and it did not fix this. Oh well. I do have a book I'm reading and if I keep the line spacing at 100 I can read it without having lines missing.

Just wish I could make the line spacing bigger as it'll be easier to read. However, I don't mind waiting for now.

Contributor
skcwa
0 Kudos

I downloaded the latest version(s) of the B&N PC eReader onto my PC running Windows 7. I was trying to see if a Cookbook I had downloaded would be easier to read on the PC than on my nook.

A couple days ago the ereader software was updated to v.2.0.1.8.  I found that when I adjusted the line spacing from the default 100 to 150, and then tried to go back to 100, it gets stuck on 50 instead and is impossible to read. 

Today, it was updated to v.2.1.0.2. That earlier bug appears to have been fixed.

However, I have found the following additional bugs while reading "The UltraMatabolism Cookbook" by Mark Hyman:

Bug 1: while using the Table of Contents, it did not successfully go to the correct chapters selected. It would skip back to the cover (pg1) instead of going to the chapter. However, going back to the "Contents" works just fine for finding the same chapters.

Bug 2: I find the fonts are not consistently the font I selected throughout the book. 

Bug 3: While reading a book, when I switch to the Settings to change the font, it will not let me directly select "reading preferences", if I first click on "my account", then I can successfully click on "reading preferences".

I don't know if the first two bugs are specific to this book, but if it's a book formatting issue, how do we report those issues?

I was also disappointed to see that they removed the bookshelf functionality from the Desktop eReader software. Why? That was one of my favorites features.

Contributor
skcwa
0 Kudos

Mark_F wrote:

....  I submitted a case about the issue ...

Hey Mark_F, how do you "submit a case" about an issue with either the eReader software or nook?

Thanks

Reader
ecw0647
0 Kudos

It does not occur on the nook, nor the iTouch.  It appears to happen only in version 2 of the pc reader software and only when you change the line spacing.  It is more than irritating, and makes the pc eread virtually useless unless you happen to just love the 100 line spacing.  I hope it gets fixed soon.

Frequent Contributor
Hoiya
0 Kudos

Glad I found this post.

I've had huge issues with the desktop reader.  Trying to Read "The Girl Who Played with Fire" was infuriating.  Whole swaths of text just didn't show up.  Any character that had an accent on it (and since the book is set in Sweden, there are lots of them) wouldn't show up.  Resizing and reformatting the text just seemed to make matters worse.  I'll stick to reading on the nook for now. 

Anyone know if you can read B&N books on Adobe Digital Editions?  I like the format/set up of that program a lot better.

New User
Mr_Disgruntled
0 Kudos

I deeply regret purchasing an e-book from Barnes and Noble now, due to this issue.  I just spent the last 10 minutes ripping out my hair and raging about why text was missing on every page I tried to read until I found this forum, where it turns out B&N is aware of the issue and clearly has no intention of fixing it.

HOW could this issue have gotten through?  Even the most basic ad-hoc testing would turn it up immediately, which implies that they have literally no quality control procedures in place

Terrible product, terrible service, terrible company

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Hoiya wrote:

Anyone know if you can read B&N books on Adobe Digital Editions?  I like the format/set up of that program a lot better.

No, you can't read them on ADE, but you should be able to read them on the eReader software from eReader.com.

I'm assuming that the e-book that you're reading is a PDB file that you downloaded to your computer from the B&N Web site, rather than an EPUB that you originally downloaded wirelessly to a NOOK and then copied to your computer. If it's an EPUB, point your browser to the B&N Web site and download the e-book from there so that you get the PDB.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 337 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: