Correspondent
joyfull
0 Kudos

B & N e-reader doesn't work on my Mac

I'm a member of the First Look Book Club. This month, for the first time, we are reading an ebook. I do not own a separate ereader but I understood the B & N e-reader would work on my Mac laptop.

I've downloaded it twice. Nothing. Double clicked numerous times. Nothing. I've downloaded the book. Nothing. The B & N ereader shows up in my applications so I know it's on my laptop. I don't understand why it won't work. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong.

Please help me and, if you don't mind, give me the answer in English. I do not speak advanced Computer language. I'm not technically advanced but I have downloaded other applications. I've also managed to write a blog for 18 months. This ereader has me baffled.

Help??

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
My blog: JoyfullyRetired.com
Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

Re: B & N e-reader doesn't work on my Mac

Hi,

Does your laptop meet the requirements of the software?  I have it running on my Macbook and just downloaded and installed it on my iMac. Works fine on both.

Here's the software requirements:

System Requirements: Mac OS X 10.5 or later

• Requires at least 4 MB of free memory
  • PowerPC Macs not supported at this time
New User
ArchEcho
0 Kudos

I actually seem to be having the same problem. My MacBook meets the requirements, but after download, the install step seems to be skipped, maybe? The dmg file is saved to my desktop, but when I double-click on the installer, it only has the reader application itself in it. I double-click on the app, it bounces once in my dock and disappears ...

I hate bugging support lines with what are usually simple problems that can answered in forums, so I thought I'd poke around here first.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Are you trying to open the app from inside the "disk" that loads when you open the .dmg folder, or did you drag it to your applications folder first?  

Contributor
Blitsky
0 Kudos

I have tried for months to get the B&N ereader to work on my Mac.  A few months ago someone suggested the free ereader application.  I have been using that to read on my Mac until B&N fixes the problems.  They have been very slow to address these issues.  It is frustrating.  Fortunately the books work fine on my Nook.

New User
ArchEcho
0 Kudos

I've tried both ways, Sam (because the way the dmg file opens the folder things look a little odd), but neither works.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

If you continue to have issues using the eReader on the Mac, please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support.  Please let us know if you issue was resolved.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
momHarabed
0 Kudos

Useless.  They told me to re-install, still does NOT work.  should return the nook.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

momHarabed wrote:

Useless.  They told me to re-install, still does NOT work.  should return the nook.

Try installing NookStudy instead. By the way, the Nook is still usable even if you can't get the app to work, so why would you return it?

Contributor
Scythe1969
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think i have found a solution to this problem, consisting of two steps:

1. Create a folder in your Applications folder, call it: NOOKforMac

Once you've done this, copy the Nook app to this folder. This should allow the app to run on the 1st or possibly second attempt to launch it.

2. Once you're done using the app always quit it by clicking on the X (red in some cases) button of the application window (upper left hand corner)

This seems to have resolved the issue and my guess is that somehow the .dmg volume path is somewhere hard coded in the app configuration.

Give this a try and post your results - I'm curious to see if this workaround gets some traction.

New User
hibhardwaj
0 Kudos

The solution posted by you does not work for me :smileysad:

New User
kmajor
0 Kudos

Putting the app in a NOOKforMac folder got the App working for me. However, when I launched it it took a few seconds to ask for my account information. Afterwards, I took it out of the folder and it still worked. One trick, as mentioned previously, do not quit the program through the NOOK for Mac menu. This will cause it not to start up again whether in the folder or not. Only shut down using the red X in the window. I am using Mac OS 10.6.8. In playing with the quit menu bug, I found it took me several tries to get it to open up again after starting and quitting with the red X. With the App in or out of the folder, I have also found it sometimes starts and sometimes it does not even when I consistently close it with the red X.

New User
Ceil783
0 Kudos

Creating a NookforMac folder in my applications folder and adding the NookforMac app to it worked for me as well! Thanks for the tip!

New User
MikeNelson
0 Kudos

I had a similar problem that others here had. I could open the app but a window with a small box saying "Nook" would open and that is it. Nothing else would happen.

But then I created the folder NOOKforMac in my Application folder, as suggested above. Put the Nook app in there. And, as others have said, it worked!

Sounds like someone at B&N needs to pay attention to this thread!

Distinguished Correspondent
northlite
0 Kudos

It doesn't work for me. I have tried it numerous times. I am very frustrated by B&N's ignoring the problem, and judging by this forum, Mac owners are not the only ones having issues with the reader apps. I have a MacBook with MacOSX 10.6.8 installed. It used to work, then suddenly it stopped, Nothing I have tried has gotten it going again.

My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
New User
RhondaM34
0 Kudos

I think I'll take the app off my mac for now. 

B & n needs to pay attention to this thread. 

I agree.

Contributor
Scythe1969
0 Kudos

As an update to my "fix", I've also found that other people stumbled upon the folder solution. The only difference is that some state that the folder must be labeled NookForMac and not NookforMac as I suggested. Some of you may want to try that. But... the most helpful thing I have found that works the rest of the time is that once the app starts and freezes, you can right-click anywhere on the grey background and click on "reload". This always manages to get me to my library screen. Not sure why the first attempt sometimes fails, but it's nice to know that I don't have to restart the app or kill it to try again. Hope this helps some of you out there. But yeah, it would be nice if this problem was fixed - once and for all...

New User
cajnow
0 Kudos

This resolved the issue on mine - Thank you very much!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 714 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: