New User
nanster
0 Kudos

B&N eReader software support for Ectaco Jetbook Lite

[ Edited ]

Hello-

I am hoping that someone can help me.  I want to download the B&N eReader software so that I can read a book that I purchased for my Ectaco Jetbook lite. The book is in .pdb format with DRM protection. What version of the software do I download?  The book I bought is compressed, so I assume that I will need to unzip it before I can use it, but exactly how do I do that?  The Jetbook is not one of the formats that is offered on the software dowload page, but Jetbook says it supports B&N eReader with DRM.  I do have the most recent version of the firmware for my Jetbook, also.   The answer is probably obvious, and I apologize in advance for being dense, but I am a bit confused.:smileysad:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: B&N eReader software support for Ectaco Jetbook Lite

Your best bet is to download the software from eReader.com.

Barnes & Noble is moving away from the eReader format to EPUB.

New User
jabby
0 Kudos

I also use a Jetbook and it works well withe the PDB files that I have downloaded from eReader, Fictionwise and B&N.  However, I bought an ebook from B&N a couple of days ago and after putting it on my Jetbook was unable to read it (went into continious load mode).

After doing a little checking, I found that the errant ebook had a .EPUB file extension rather than the .PDB extension.  I also tried it on my eSlick reader with the same results. 

I am waiting or an email reply from customer service as I type.  I hope that B&N doesn't throw the PDB people uder the bus in their conversion to EPUB ebooks.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

jabby wrote:

I am waiting or an email reply from customer service as I type.  I hope that B&N doesn't throw the PDB people uder the bus in their conversion to EPUB ebooks.

Good luck, but I don't hold out much hope. There's been a considerable amount of upset from people using eReader software on platforms like Android and Linux that B&N doesn't support, due to B&N's unannounced changeover to EPUB a couple of weeks ago.

As far as I know, B&N is only delivering eReader PDBs to Blackberry users now. (Certain e-books aren't available as EPUB, so they'll be PDBs on all platforms).

New User
nanster
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Jabby

You stated that  "I also use a Jetbook and it works well withe the PDB files that I have downloaded from eReader, Fictionwise and B&N."   Are these DRM-protected or non-DRM books that you have downloaded?

Also, I was under the impression that the only DRM-protected books that can be used on the Jetbook Lite were from Barnes & Noble and I would also assume, using their software.  Is this also your understanding?  Let me know.  Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 606 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: