Contributor
DawnH
0 Kudos

BN eReader 2.5.1.198 update for desktop

Just applied the update for the newest desktop eReader, and now none of my purchased books show up. They are still in the file on my harddrive, but they do not show up in the app. Also when I purchase new ones they are not showing up. Have an email into BN to look into this, as I can no longer see anything I have purchased. (Hope this doesn't happen to my Nook when I upgrade it!)

Reader 2
tehluhlah
0 Kudos

Re: BN eReader 2.5.1.198 update for desktop

I am having the exact same problem.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Yep,  Really looks broken.  AVOID installing until we hear of a fix.  Books are still there but don't show up in the display. 

TNS
TNS
0 Kudos

Note it seems to work if you delete the database and let it rebuild it.

\users\YOURID\AppData\Roaming|\Barnes & Noble\BNDesktoReader  file ClientAPI.db

But if you don't already have the new reader installed I would wait for a official fix.

Contributor
DawnH
0 Kudos

Yep. Deleted the ClientAPI.db file, then re-opened the reader. Had to re-enter my account info and it sync'd. It seemed to lose my "automatically download" account setting, but I manually added that back. Now I have my books back!

Reader 4
Pinotage

TNS wrote:

Note it seems to work if you delete the database and let it rebuild it.

\users\YOURID\AppData\Roaming|\Barnes & Noble\BNDesktoReader  file ClientAPI.db

But if you don't already have the new reader installed I would wait for a official fix.

To late I already installed it and can't find anything.... but where do I delete the client db on my desktop PC??  I don't even see a db in the program folder.

Frequent Contributor
dee_deefl
0 Kudos

Thank you for the information about getting books back.

It worked like a charm.

:smileyhappy:

Reader 4
Pinotage
0 Kudos

OK...  found it... thankfully.   In XP    C:\Documents and Settings\your  user name\Application Data\Barnes & Noble\BNDesktopReader

Changed the name of the clientDB to OLD and when I opened eReader it started like it was brand new and the library appears again. 

Thank you Thank you. 

New User
alkimyst
0 Kudos

same problem. what a risible upgrade.

AllenR
0 Kudos

Just goes to support my belief that the B&N software guys SUCK!

Unbelievable.    :smileymad:   :smileysad:

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

AllenR
0 Kudos

dee_deefl wrote:

Thank you for the information about getting books back.

It worked like a charm.

:smileyhappy:

DITTO !

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

AllenR
0 Kudos

I see this version still shows an error message when you close it down, but this time with a new error message...

We are sorry but this Barnes and Noble application has encountered a problem and it needs to close (code 012)

Would you like to restart the application now?

Hmmm!

New User
LP432
0 Kudos

Where is this file located on Windows Vista Home Edition?  I ran a Search for the file but could not find it.

New User
reeseRS
0 Kudos

Just did the update for Ebook reader, and like everyone else my books have disappeared!  Regret doing the update now!!

New User
TLL10
0 Kudos

How Frustrating! Try uninstalling the reader then re downloading it. That's how I finally got mine to work.

AllenR
0 Kudos

LP432 wrote:

Where is this file located on Windows Vista Home Edition?  I ran a Search for the file but could not find it.

The file is located here... (substitute your user account name for "YOUR USER ID" and make sure your hidden files/folders are visitble in windows explorer)

C:\Users\"YOUR USER ID"\AppData\Roaming\Barnes & Noble\BNDesktopReader

Contributor
DocJustice
0 Kudos

I'm also having the identical problem.  I had the prior version of eReader software and it worked fine.  It prompted me today to download the update and after install none of my library is showing.  I signed out and back in and still no books showing up.  They are on the website and on my hard drive, but not in the program.

TNS
TNS

As mentioned earlier.  Delete your database.  This has been necessary to bulk load and delete non B&N stuff on the PC and several times was necessary when they upgraded the reader.

Database is a hidden file (so you will have to tell windows explorer to display hidden files and directories).  Its in your AppData directory.  For vista and windows 7 thats

\users\YOURID\AppData\Roaming|\Barnes & Noble\BNDesktoReader  For the current release file ClientAPI.db 

Your Desktop reader will then open as if you never registered for the B&N site.  So reregister it and it will also rebuild your database.

New User
mvlight
0 Kudos

I had the same problem.  The fix you recommended worked beautifully.  What kind of an update was that?!!

Contributor
amiesan
0 Kudos

I had the same problem. I freaked out a minute. I logged myself out and then in again on the ereader software thinking it might just need to update itself. Still no books. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the program, signed in and everything's back! That seemed (to me) to be an easier fix than trying to locate a possibly hidden file. :smileyhappy:

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:21 members 325 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: