New User
Jaesic
0 Kudos

Re: BN eReader 2.5.1.198 update for desktop

For your techs to look at... there seems to be a difference between the file naming method from when I started using the reader a month or two ago and what it is now. If the database is looking for books with the new format, it makes sense that it wouldn't find them. It also would explain why deleting the database as suggested earlier in the thread would resolve the issue, as it rebuilds the table. It would be easy enough to add this step to the installation/update process as long as the source issue isn't more involved than it seems.

Contributor
SherylNantus
0 Kudos

Uninstalled the reader, reinstalled it and all was well.

I want to love you, B&N, but really... can we get our act together?

There's no reason you should be releasing updates that muck up the simplest of things.

:smileymad:

Reader 4
Michael9592
0 Kudos

Same thing happened to me when I upgraded.

Given the problem with the 2.5.1.198 "upgrade", I do not trust it, even if I should get my library back. So I deleted the new one and re-installed 2.5.0.3727 and got my functionality back.

I am going to lurk for a while and see how others are doing, before trying another "upgrade".

Confidence = 0.

New User
Rhonda1073
0 Kudos

It's too late. I already downloaded the new version.  Where do I go to delete the db file?

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

*Reads Topic*

*Opens BN eReader*

... hm, would I like to upgrade to 2.5.1.198? Think I'll pass on that for the time being.

*Respectfully declines offer*

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
New User
scharwath
0 Kudos

I had the same thing happen so I uninstalled the update.

The books are back but now it won't take my credit card number to unlock the books. Help

Frequent Contributor
pearl5
0 Kudos

What a PAIN that was! I tried everything, but in the end had to totally uninstall the program and re download it. Re-entered email address and password and all my books were back. Thanks for all the help!!

Are you a good person?
Take the test
www.areyouagoodperson.org
Contributor
bastianbalthazarbux
0 Kudos

I have uninstalled and re-installed twice now but still no luck. How do I fix this if re-installing does not work, I am only moderately computer literate....

Is there no way of just getting the old version back?? It worked fine, what was the benefit of the update supposed to be???

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hmmm!

Almost all software updates that require an uninstall first have that built into the upgrade automatically, or ask that you uninstall first.   Obviously B&N forget that somewhat important step.

Have you noticed how B&N have disappeared into the woodwork over this issue and left it to their customers to help each other out?

Shame on you B&N !    :smileymad:

Someone took the fall for Apple's antennagate.  I hope somewhere in B&N some software manager's A** is being chewed by his boss for this.  This is no way to run a business.   It's no wonder the shares are "undervalued".   :smileysad:

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

New User
Zacher
0 Kudos

Re: PC eReader Issues

I'm having the same problem.  I think it may have to do with the fact that I have windows 7, but i'm not sure.  I've even gone to my livbrary and downloaded the book.  I have it on my hard drive and yet the program still doesnt recognize it.

New User
LilyC
0 Kudos

I am having the same issues but I have Vista and not 7. The contents of the library are online and on the hard drive but won't show up on the reader.

New User
purplecatDB
0 Kudos

I too can't see any of my books using the eReader. It worked about two weeks ago which was the last time I used it. Turned it on today and I see totals of 0 for all my items (books, archive, etc.) . I even tried downloading the new version of the software and still no joy. Yes I am logged into my account.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

To resolve this issue perform the following:

1)      Uninstall the application by clicking Start>All Programs>Barnes& Noble> Desktop Reader> Uninstall

2)      Follow the uninstall prompts.  This process will delete all your local content; however your eBooks will remain stored in your online in your B&N eBooks library.

OR

1)      Uninstall using Control Panel by performing the following: Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs> Remove the Barnes & Noble Desktop Reader.

After Un-installation is complete, simply go to Barnes&Noble.com and re-install the Desktop eReader. 

This process should correct any content issues you may receive in “My Library,” and you can pick up where you left off. Enjoy your reading!

New User
TomW
0 Kudos

I got it to work. It started asking for a credit card number but settled for e-mail address and password.

Thanxx!!

Frequent Contributor
digital_eyes
0 Kudos

Same problem, got it fixed with the uninstall/reinsatll.

B&N:  there is NO excuse for this.  This has happened in the past with the My stuff directory.

You need to learn how to write SW and then do updates and test without disabling all of your users.  This is so discouraging.

Contributor
bastianbalthazarbux
0 Kudos

Desktop ereader problems?

Hi all,

While waiting for my new Nook to be delivered I have started reading some of my eBooks on my desktop with the B&N desktop reader. All of a sudden, today, my whole library has gone empty and synchronizing it does not bring them back. I did update to the new version today and it worked at first but now it is completely empty. My Library on the B&N site still has all my books.

Anyone any ideas what is going on?

Thanks!

Contributor
bastianbalthazarbux
0 Kudos

Re: Desktop ereader problems?

Okay, forget it... I found how to fix it in another section of the board. Bloody hard to fix though.... Won't be upgrading in a hurry anymore!

Contributor
SKiFit
0 Kudos

I had the same problem; following the advice/instructions found here fixed it.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

bastianbalthazarbux wrote:

Bloody hard to fix though....

Uninstall and reinstall is "bloody hard"?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

To resolve this issue perform the following:

1)      Uninstall the application by clicking Start>All Programs>Barnes& Noble> Desktop Reader> Uninstall

2)      Follow the uninstall prompts.  This process will delete all your local content; however your eBooks will remain stored in your online in your B&N eBooks library.

OR

1)      Uninstall using Control Panel by performing the following: Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs> Remove the Barnes & Noble Desktop Reader.

After Un-installation is complete, simply go to Barnes&Noble.com and re-install the Desktop eReader. 

This process should correct any content issues you may receive in “My Library,” and you can pick up where you left off. Enjoy your reading!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 666 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: