Contributor
jackibar
0 Kudos

Can You Add Your Own eBooks to eReader?

I'm trying to load an eBook I purchased elsewhere into the eReader for Mac and/or iPhone and can't find a way to do it.  On the Mac, it's asking for an unlock code - which I do not have since I didn't purchase it through B&N!  On the iPhone reader I can't even figure out HOW to get it to load a book I already have - do I hook the iPhone up somehow or can it access it through wi-fi?

Thanks so much for any help...

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Can You Add Your Own eBooks to eReader?

jackibar wrote:

I'm trying to load an eBook I purchased elsewhere into the eReader for Mac and/or iPhone and can't find a way to do it.  On the Mac, it's asking for an unlock code - which I do not have since I didn't purchase it through B&N!  On the iPhone reader I can't even figure out HOW to get it to load a book I already have - do I hook the iPhone up somehow or can it access it through wi-fi?

Thanks so much for any help...

You might try these posts found with the search function:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=mac+ereader+#message-list

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

The B&N reader will not allow you to sideload to the iPhone app.

Try Stanza, (free app).  http://www.lexcycle.com/download

It has a desktop tool that can move books to and from the iphone as long as they are on the same wifi subnet. You can install the mac version on your PC.

As for the Mac product, if it is asking for an unlock code,  that means it recognizes it as a DRM encrypted e-book.  Perhaps you should have a code for that file, but it might be another type of security and may not work.

Without knowledge of the type of book, and where you bought it we are only able to give generic answers here.

Contributor
jackibar
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for the responses...  I purchased the book from store.weighdown.com and they offered it in ePub or Mobi format.  I saw that the new B&N appl said it supported the ePub format so that's the one I picked!  It did not come with any unlock codes or anything.  The "Get Info" says the format is "open ebook".

I tried Stanza and it would NOT import the book - kept giving an "Error" and "Unable to download book" - I tried their Desktop program as well as the Gmail option their web site suggested, but neither worked.  I finally just found an App called BookReader from the iTunes store and paid $4.99 for it - it imported the book just fine, so I guess I'll just use this one!  I just really like the way the B&N Reader works and had hoped it would work for my other eBooks, but oh well!

Thanks again!

Frequent Contributor
lizzyizzy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Contributor
jackibar
0 Kudos

B&N eReader Question

How do I get my own eBooks into the eReader for iPhone?

Thanks!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: B&N eReader Question

You don't.  

Inspired Contributor
rotorhead
0 Kudos

On the iPhone I use the following.

B&N eReader ap for books purchased from B&N

Kindle ap for books purchased from Amazon

Stanza ap for MS Reader .lit books and most other eBooks

PDFReader ap for .pdf files

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
--- Carl Sagan
Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

You might be able to use a combination of Stanza+Calibre

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=391919

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

I hear plenty of talk about Calibre but I'm not familiar with it.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 259 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: