Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

Can no longer access my Nook Library from either PC or Android Device

Right before the holiday, I started experiencing sync problems with my Android device (Pandigital SuperNova 8").  It would start to sync and then give an error message "Sync failed due to network error. To retry the sync later – Tap the B&N Library – then tap the refresh icon.”

I am connected to WiFi when this error occurs.  I also do not understand the instructions given above, as when I tap the B&N Library, it automatically begins to sync with my account and I cannot get to the refresh button at all.  I am able to read the publications that I have already downloaded, however I cannot download any new content.  

I did send an e-mail to Nook support but I have not received a response yet. I know they will probably tell me to do an uninstall/reinstall, but this tablet does not have access to the Android marketplace; therefore, I cannot download the B&N app from that source. It appears that the app cannot be directly downloaded from the B&N website either.  Pandigital is now bankrupt and their website no longer exists, therefore I cannot request help from them.

In another little wrinkle, now I also cannot access my Nook library from Nook for PC.  The sync is failing there also.  I uninstalled Nook for PC and reinstalled the newer version - still nothing. 

Any ideas from the Board would be appreciated.  As of now, I have no access to hundreds of dollars' worth of publications I have purchased from B&N, and I am a very, very unhappy camper. 

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Re: Can no longer access my Nook Library from either PC or Android Device

B&N's DRM needs a valid credit card to encrypt the books when they are downloaded.

Check the credit card info of your B&N account.

Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

Yes, that was the first thing I checked...my credit card doesn't expire until 2014, so that's not the problem. Maybe I should just try inputting a different credit card? 

Interestingly, I also got out my old Nook device and tried to sync my account there - no luck with that either.  So it appears to definitely be an account problem. 

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

Try updating your Adobe account not just you NOOK account. Adobe SDK is what sets the DRM for your books using BN's Social DRM.
Contributor
olderTechnology
0 Kudos

Sorry to be ignorant but I am having a similar problem, and I do not knowingly have an Adobe account on my Nook or Android devices. Where would we update our Adobe information?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Davan wrote:
Try updating your Adobe account not just you NOOK account. Adobe SDK is what sets the DRM for your books using BN's Social DRM.

The Adobe account has nothing to do with your B&N account. You only need Adobe for non-B&N books.

Adobe and B&N are two completely separate systems.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

DonnaReads wrote:

Yes, that was the first thing I checked...my credit card doesn't expire until 2014, so that's not the problem. Maybe I should just try inputting a different credit card? 

Interestingly, I also got out my old Nook device and tried to sync my account there - no luck with that either.  So it appears to definitely be an account problem. 

Some banks block the credit card if there are a lot of small payments. Call your bank if your credit card is okay.

Contributor
olderTechnology
0 Kudos

I think we're getting far afield here. B&N does not check your credit card with your bank every time you want to download a previously purchased book. What DonnaReads wants to do is just access an existing account and get the books that are already in it.

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

When you first create your NOOK account in an app or on a device, BN sets up your account for use with the Adobe RMSDK that is used to unlock your DRM'd books purchased on BN.com.  This is why I stated earlier to check the Adobe account.  Use your NOOK login and password at Adobe to confirm that you are logging in. 

1. If your Adobe account info is different from your NOOK account, then when you attempt to download a book that you have already purchased but never downloaded you will receive a dialog box asking you to enter your Adobe account info before you can download the book.  Once you enter this info, you don't have to do it again unless you uninstall the app or log out of the app.  Closing the app will not cause you to lose the info.
  2. DRM is handled by RMSDK and BN, they are not separate entities, they work together.
Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

My Adobe account is fine.

My credit card is fine.

Still can't access my account on either device.  I intended to try a Live Chat because I don't feel like hanging on the phone for hours, but of course B&N still has Live Chat disabled, as they have for several days now. 

Well, it just proves that B&N's customer service is the same as it's always been - lousy.

And if there's anything to laugh at in this situation, it's that I received an e-mail from a Board Moderator contratulating me for moving up to "Frequent Contributor" status on these boards!  Well, whooopee dooo honey, did you know I was complaining when I made these posts?!  What a joke.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

DonnaReads wrote:

My Adobe account is fine.

My credit card is fine.

Still can't access my account on either device.  I intended to try a Live Chat because I don't feel like hanging on the phone for hours, but of course B&N still has Live Chat disabled, as they have for several days now. 

Well, it just proves that B&N's customer service is the same as it's always been - lousy.

And if there's anything to laugh at in this situation, it's that I received an e-mail from a Board Moderator contratulating me for moving up to "Frequent Contributor" status on these boards!  Well, whooopee dooo honey, did you know I was complaining when I made these posts?!  What a joke.

Do you actually want help here, or just to complain?

If you want help, can you access your B&N account through the website?  Can you see your order history?  If yes, then what happens when you click "My Nook" at the top of the B&N homepage?  If you don't have a My Nook account, set one up.  It should let you see your library that way, and may help to troubleshoot the issue that's happening with your account access elsewhere.  Also, what errors are you seeing when you try to access your library on the PC app and the Android app?

Without knowing any of the above, my guess is that you'll need to call CS - NOT CHAT.  CHAT is not terribly helpful, and email support is useless.

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

serv

Customer service is not open at the moment - I'm having the same problem.  Ok on my new Nook Glow, but not ok on two android devices, (Atrix phone and Archos Tablet)  Tablet was ok until sync.  All books now in accessible.

PC does not seem to be able to sync.

Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

Re: serv

Well, it feels good to know I'm not alone, but I feel sorry for you too!  I'm waiting until Wednesday to start trying to reach customer service... no use even bothering today, I'm sure there's a skeleton crew.  I've already tried chat and the guy was so confused about what I was actually trying to tell him, he was not able to give me any useful ideas.  (I have used chat before to good results, so the blanket statement made by someone above that chat is not helpful is not a true statement, in my opinion.)

Good luck with your issues.  I hope you will come back and update if you figure anything out.  I will be sure to do the same.  

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: serv

customer service should be open today with as many people as they would have at this time of day any day.  If they follow the store model anyway.

I tried downloading a book from my library that I'd archived and it worked just fine.  I haven't yet messed with the Nook for mac app, but it seems weird that it wouldn't download for you guys.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Davan wrote:

When you first create your NOOK account in an app or on a device, BN sets up your account for use with the Adobe RMSDK that is used to unlock your DRM'd books purchased on BN.com.  This is why I stated earlier to check the Adobe account.  Use your NOOK login and password at Adobe to confirm that you are logging in. 

1. If your Adobe account info is different from your NOOK account, then when you attempt to download a book that you have already purchased but never downloaded you will receive a dialog box asking you to enter your Adobe account info before you can download the book.  Once you enter this info, you don't have to do it again unless you uninstall the app or log out of the app.  Closing the app will not cause you to lose the info.
  2. DRM is handled by RMSDK and BN, they are not separate entities, they work together.

Your Adobe account does not need to be the same as your Nook/BN account if that is what you are saying.  I know this because my mom has her own BN account, but both her NST and new. HD and ADE are activated to my ADE account and everything works fine.  You don't even have to have an Adobe account if you only buy books from BN.

Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

You are absolutely right, bklvr896.  My Adobe DE account and my BN account have been totally separate - always.  In fact, they use two different e-mail addresses, and don't interact at all.   This is definitely not an Adobe-related issue.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Ok, so trying to steer this back to fixing the problem since we have wandered far away.

It's likely an account problem, since there would be way more than two people posting about this if it wasn't.  It's nothing to do with Adobe since it's dealing with books purchased from B&N, not sideloaded content.  The methodology used by B&N to allow you to read books on other devices should not matter, as long as the basic criteria are met (valid CC with a US or UK based billing address). 

Now, I don't know the pandigital devices very well.  Does the Nook app for that device support logging out?  I know the iPhone app does.  If you can, log out and log back in.  I know it seems dumb but it could be that the app is just hung up trying to do what you want and yet can't stop doing it. 

Does the PC app give you an error when you try to sync?  I just tried with the Mac app, and while it took longer than I would have thought to sync, it did finally do it. 

As Keriflur asked, can you see your Nook library through the website? 

Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

You're right, we have certainly wandered!  Thanks for your concerned response.  Let me answer a couple of your questions and we'll see if things get a bit clearer. 

I'll start with the Nook for PC on my desktop.  When I open the program and hit the "sync", it goes through several pop-ups.  First, "Authenticating" (that only takes a few seconds).  Second, "Processing Data" (again, only a few seconds).  Then it goes to "Retrieving Data", and that's where it hangs up.  It will run for about 10-15 minutes, and then stop, but no content is ever loaded. 

With regard to my Pandigital device, things get a little dicey.  (Just FYI, Pandigital is now out of business and can't even be reached; no more website or phone support.)  The B&N app came preloaded with my device.  The Pandigital devices do not have access to the Android marketplace or to Google Play, so the app cannot be re-downloaded and re-installed from anywhere else.  

I can certainly sign out of my B&N account on the device. I had to do that once before, several months ago, because of a little glitch.  However, when I sign out, ALL of the content I have downloaded onto my device goes back into my archive.  My concern is that if I sign out, then try to sign back in again and it doesn't work, I have lost my ability to read the content I've already purchased.  At least right now I can read the books and magazines that are already downloaded, even though I can't download any new content.   So, what would you do in my circumstance - take the chance and sign out, and hope for the best?  I have a feeling that's what customer service is going to tell me to do.  But the fact that it's not just my tablet that's giving me the problem, but my Nook for PC as well, has me stumped. 

As to being able to see my library, I do have a My Nook account set up, and yes I can see my library on the B&N website.  I can also read my books using the "Read Instantly" in My Library; of course, the online reader doesn't work for the magazines, so I can't read those (and I have quite a few). 

Mercury_Glitch, any ideas or comments you have would be much appreciated. 

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Alright, well I understand your stance on logging out. 

I downloaded the PC app on my Windows computer just so I would see as close to what you're seeing as I can.  I've got Windows 7, I don't know what you're running and I'm not sure if it would even matter.  Ideally it shouldn't. 

I see the same pop ups as you do, but they take next to no time to cycle through.  The first time was the longest, and even that was likely under a minute. 

The 10-15 minutes you were seeing, coupled with the error message from the Pandigital leads me to think it's actually just what the Pandigital was saying, a network problem.  Obviously you can get online, or you wouldn't be posting here, but maybe the signal isn't strong enough to connect to the B&N servers for as long as is needed to sync.

I would unplug your cable or DSL modem, wait about half a minute, then plug it back in and allow it to cycle back up.  This should basically refresh your connection, and hopefully you'll be able to sync again.

If that's not a possibility, then I would take either your Pandigital or if your PC is a laptop then your PC, to a place that provides free wifi.  Try and sync from there. 

I don't suppose you've got a smartphone?  Because that could also be another device to test on, at least if it's capable of installing the Nook app.  All iPhones should be able to except maybe the first generation ones, and I'm pretty sure most android phones can run the app as well.

Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

Okay, I tried the modem business, but unfortunately that didn't help. 

I'm glad you mentioned using another type of device, because I forgot to note earlier that I have a new iPod, and I downloaded the Nook app to that also.  I can sync my account on the iPod with absolutely no problem.  In fact, this all started with my purchasing a magazine, which I have downloaded onto the iPod to read because I couldn't get it to sync anywhere else.  Obviously reading books/magazines on that tiny screen is not the idea situation, but it does work.  

Adds to the confusion about this issue, doesn't it?!  So if the iPod syncs to my account, is it really an account problem?  Again, I am truly baffled!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 275 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: