Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: Can no longer access my Nook Library from either PC or Android Device

Ok, so it's not a network problem, not an account problem, which leaves device problem.

Again leaving the Pandigital aside, I'll focus on the PC app. 

When you open it, and it finally syncs up on the left hand side there are a number of tabs, by default it starts out on the 'My Daily' tab.  I don't know why since this doesn't seem to actually offer much, maybe subscriptions (I can't tell, I don't have any subs on my account). 

I'm guessing you've tried clicking on the other tabs, such as 'My Library'.  If not, try that. 

If that doesn't work, hmm.  If the PC app did not ask for a login/password when you reinstalled it, I would suggest clicking 'Settings' then selecting 'Account Settings' and logging out, then back in. 

Heck even if it did ask. 

At this point I'm out of solutions.  Aside from taking the pandigital or pc to free wifi and seeing if that somehow does the trick.

I don't know how attatched you are to the Pandigital, but maybe it's time to replace it.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

Okay, I just tried signing out, and then back in again, to the Nook for PC app.  It went through the whole sync process, and loaded today's piece into "The Daily", but didn't load any of my other content.  Right now it is signed into my account, or so it says.  

Do you think there's any relationship between these problems and the archive that's stored locally on my computer?  When I was looking through these message boards for help, I remember seeing something about deleting that local file.  I may have to look for that again. 

Actually, you're right, it's certainly past time to replace the Pandigital... but unfortunately not in the budget!  What I'm going to do is take that device to work with me tomorrow, and try using the company's free wifi, as a last-ditch effort to get it to sync to my account.  If that doesn't work, I'll call the fine folks at B&N tomorrow after work and try to explain all of this stuff.  That ought to be an interesting conversation! 

Again, thanks for all of your help, and if you think of anything else for me to try, please post it. 

Distinguished Correspondent
taltosPT
0 Kudos

Donna, can you get to the BN home page and possibly download Nook for Android from the NOOK menu? If so, maybe you can download the NOOK application again. This is just a shot in the dark since my connection problem was a failing router and your router seems to be working fine. Hope that this helps, if not, sorry for wasting your reading time.

Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

Don't worry, no suggestions at this point are a waste of my time!!

Unfortunately when you click on the Nook for Android app from the Nook home page, it takes you to the Google Play store.  Since my Pandigital is not a "supported android device", I can't download the app from Google. So that's another dead end for me.  But I appreciate your posting anyway!  The more ideas, the merrier!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

If I'm understanding you correctly, the PC app loaded content from a subscription?  If so that's a really good sign and points to the archive file being a possible culprit.

It may not be an ideal device, but you might wanna look at a Nook Simple Touch.  At 79$ it's pretty gentle on the budget, and it'll let you read all the books, and if not all then most of the magazines (some magazines that are more focused on photos may not be available).  And while I admit it may sound fishy for a B&N employee to suggest that, I'll back it up with some information.

First, I've got a NSTG, I love it.  I've bought Nooks for both my parents, one of my aunts and one of my cousins.  My aunt, cousin, and mother all got NSTs or NSTGs.  So I'm not suggesting anything that I myself would not do. 

Second, as I mentioned, the NST is pretty cheap. 

Third, we know other devices can sync to your account, leaving aside the oddness with the PC app (which may also be solved by that archive file thing). 

Fourth, it's so so so much easier to trouble shoot a Nook device than it is a third party device running a Nook app.  This holds true for everything where a company makes an application and a device for running that app but also allows other devices to run it.  A good example is iTunes, it's incredibly easy to use on a Mac, however many of the early versions (and some would argue current versions) are not as seemlessly intergrated and smooth looking on a PC. 

Fifth, if you can find a cheaper, better rated eInk ereader, that also reads B&N books let me know.  Sony and Kobo make readers that can, but the Sony one costs more than the NSTG, Kobo offers a Glo is 10$ more than the NSTG, I can't find a solid price for the non glo Kobo.  I've seen ones that match the 79$ but have ads, and ones that are 129$. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

In the interest of keeping this thread updated.... and the hope it might help someone else someday!....Just tried the sync on my office wifi and that did not work either.  Hoping I can call B&N later today and get all of this straightened out.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@DonnaReads,

I just rescanned the thread, but don't see where you mentioned the version of the PC app you are running.

Here is the information on the current NOOK for PC release:

Version:
Updated:
November 11, 2011
Required System:
Windows 2000/XP/Vista

If you are running windows 8 there is a windows 8 specific version.

SInce it's been over a year since the last release of NOOK for PC you are probably running the latest version, but it never hurts to check.

Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

Thanks, Larry.  I have actually uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version twice, trying to figure out this problem.   But I appreciate your posting just to check!

Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

Well, I finally got somewhere, although it wasn't where I expected or wanted to go!!

First of all, let me say that everyone I spoke to at B&N (and Pandigital) was very courteous, and they really seemed to want to help. 

With regard to the Nook for Android app, the first B&N person I spoke to (a young lady, "Karen") made it very clear that they do NOT offer any support for the app.  You don't offer any support for B&N's own Android app, I asked, wanting to be clear?  Nope.  They will not even discuss it with you - you'll have to contact the manufacturer of your device.  I told her that Pandigital is out of business and can't be of any help with the B&N app.  She put me on hold, and came back with a phone number for Pandigital, plus the hours of operation of their customer service. I wrote down the info, thinking that it was old and taken off the internet, and wouldn't be of any help (more on that later). 

So, I asked, can we at least get my Nook for PC working, so that I can read my books and magazines on the computer?  No problem!  she said.  After going through the whole routine I've already done at least 4 or 5 times (sign out...sign back in....sign out.... sign back in...uninstall the program...reinstall the program...etc.) it still was not working.  Can I send you to a higher level of tech support? she asked nicely.  Sure!  And off I went....to a gentleman.  

So "John" and I discussed the situation.  Interestingly, he pulled up the e-mail I had sent to B&N two weeks ago when the problem first occurred... so I guess those don't get read until you call?  Anyhow, he already knew that I had done the routine above several times, and thankfully he didn't ask me to do all that again.  He told me to install the Nook Study program.  Nook Study?  Well sure, I'm up for anything at this point.  I installed Nook Study and, lo and behold, there's my entire library, books and magazines.  (Well, except for the magazine I most recently purchased, which is not available on Nook Study... but that's a story for another day.  He did give me a refund on that one.)  He was very pleased that I was able to open everything on Nook Study, and said "we've been having problems with Nook for PC."  Really?  Maybe you could tell the lower-level tech support about that?!  

I then pumped him for information about the Android app. Again, I couldn't get a peep out of him regarding that...I needed to contact Pandigital, case closed, no discussion allowed. Then I signed off with B&N. 

If you're still reading this marathon post, kudos to you!!  After signing off with B&N, I called the Pandigital customer service number that "Karen" gave me.  Lo and behold, someone answered!  I have no idea what company I was contacting, because the guy I spoke to told me that Pandigital was no longer in business (which I already knew), but he did attempt to help me and again, was very courteous about the situation.  Unfortunately, my only option at this point is to reset my Pandigital back to the original factory settings, and then HOPE that the Nook app works.  No guarantee that will happen, and no other recourse if it doesn't happen.  So, do I want to reset my tablet back to factory, and then have to re-download over 100 apps that I've purchased from Am***on (I know we can't mention that name here... it's like Voldemort), and over 100 magazines that I've purchased from Zinio, and a bunch of content that I've put on the device myself?  Ummmm....nope.  I will not do that.  At this point, I have to accept that I no longer have a B&N app on my Android tablet.  

It's a shame, really, because I've purchased a ton of content from B&N over the years, even since I bought my very first e-reader, my 1st Generation Nook.  Once I got the tablet I started buying magazines too, some from B&N and some from Zinio.  Guess it will be all-Zinio for me from now on for magazines, and who knows what for the books.  

So, that's my update.  Got some answers...some good, some not so good.  But at least the quest is over now!  And I really do sincerely hope that posting all of this info will be of help to somebody else. 

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I downloaded my library to two different PC's this past weekend. A windows7 PC on Saturday and a Windows XP PC on Sunday. Both times, it took A LONG TIME to get the library to download, about 20 minutes. It seemed like it wasn't doing anything, but if I clicked the 'sort' button to change from author to most recent it would update, it just wouldn't show it unless I changed the view. It was slow, but working. Since Nookstudy works for you, it seems like something local to your devices (at least to me).
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
Motleyjr
0 Kudos

Hi DonnaReads....Thanks so much for your posts of valuable info. 

I'm a very infrequent user of my Pandigital and picked it up after about 9 months of not using it and experience the same "network error...please retry" message.  Unfortunately, I bought a nook book online via my laptop before I tried logging in with my Pandigital. 

I may try the reset to factory settings since I don't have much loaded to it.  If I do, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

New User
Motleyjr
0 Kudos

Great news!!  I noticed my date and time were set to the wrong date (somehow it was June 2, 2000).  I updated them and was able to successfully synch with B&N!!  I remember in the thread someone suggested this.  If you haven't done it...check your date and time and reset them!!

New User
LaurenS25
0 Kudos

thanks so much for all the posts!  my pan digital has been driving me crazy with the "network error" messages, so ill try to update the date/time and see if that works for me as well...

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 64 members 437 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: