Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Can't download book with Nook for Android?

What the heck is up with this? I pre-ordered a book which was released last night, i.e. I received the official email and successfully downloaded it to Nook for PC, but today, going out, I wanted to take the book along with me on my Android device. So I fire up the Nook app, hit refresh, the book shows up fine in my library. BUT, when I try to download, it just keeps saying it is a pre-order and can't be downloaded yet. Which is clearly ridiculous, since I WAS able to download through the Nook for PC software. The ebook in question is "The Rope" by Nevada Barr. I guess now I'll have to go run errands without my new book in hand. Better improve this app pronto!
Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Re: Can't download book with Nook for Android?

I had that happen recently.  I think I was able to get it by Archiving/Unarchiving.  

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip. Tried it, didn't work. Still unable to download this book via the Android App.

And my point stands. Even if the archiving/unarchiving had  worked, as far as I could find, there is NO OPTION to archive from the app, even for books I have already downloaded, or at least I couldn't find it. I had to go on my computer and use the BN.com website to do the archive thing.

If the app requires you to archive and unarchive a pre-order in order to download it once it is released, that's not a great customer experience. And if you can't archive via the app, worse still, since if you are on the go you are then stuck. Ideally, the app should give one the same sort of experience that using a reader device does, but if one can't archive via the app, then it is lacking a bit.

I *was* able to UNarchive the book via the app easily enough, after I'd use my web browser on the computer to archive it via the BN.com site, but it still didn't let me download the book, says it is a pre-order and not available for download yet.

Clearly, things need some work on the app. The point of having the app on my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 is to be able to easily access my purchased books and read them. If I can't access them via the app alone, what's the point? I've not had trouble downloading non-pre-ordered books, so clearly, something is amiss with the way the app handles pre-orders.

At any rate, it's no biggie, I can sideload if I have to, but I thought the point of the app was to avoid that, so I thought BN should know, presuming they have folks reading these boards.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

The only other thing I can suggest is to go to Settings>Applications>Manage applications>B&N Nook>Clear Data.  When you open the Nook app after this, it will pronpt you for your log in info. Your books will download again, but you will lose wish list and bookmarks.  The new book should download now.  This seems to be a problem with preordered items.

New User
SteveLux
0 Kudos

Looks like Barnes & Noble doesn't really want my business.  I use the Nook software on a tablet - nextime I want to to pre-order a book, I'll just get it from Amazon!  Such a simple thing, and they can't get it right . . .

Reader 4
SamZzz
0 Kudos

I had the same problem with my tablet and the Nook App for Android when a pre-ordered book I purchased was released.  To download the book, I had to log out of the app then log back in.  It finally let me download it after that.  Defintely a bug that needs to be fixed!!

Nook Color (passed on to Hubby) - Acer Iconia a100
New User
mmdh8
0 Kudos

That makes sense... thanks alot. Refresh works without having to log out you would think pre-orders would work by refreshing.
New User
kellyds
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip, logging out and back in worked like a charm.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:15 members 289 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: