Frequent Contributor
whiteoakBR
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Credit Card Woes

I have seen information about this a number of times on various boards but it never stuck since it hadn't happened to me.

My tale of woe - apparently my credit card (the only one I have) was compromised.  My credit card company called me this morning to tell me they were closing the number and would send me a new card. (someone in China was attempting to use it)  Okay, not thrilling but contained, I can do without a credit card for a week - no new books or any of the other other things I buy over the internet.  Then I went to my Nook for PC and went to download a book that I had purchased over the weekend.  It would not let me due to a credit card error.

Luckily I do have all my purchased materials downloaded to my Nook but I am not very happy that I can't access my stuff on my computer because I don't have a credit card at this moment.  Yet another reason to download all your purchases to your computer at time of purchase so you do have access.

Contributor
2pat

Re: Credit Card Woes

I hope you did not give any personal info to 'verify' your account or to get a new card.  If you did, I suggest you call or email the cc company and verify it was really them that called you.

Sorry if you already thought to do that, but I had something similar happen a few years ago and 'verified' my info with the caller.  As soon as I hung up I got a bad feeling and emailed my cc company - they had not called me.  I had to cancel the card and get a new one.  Hind sight is a great thing, but I wish it would come earlier in a situation like that.

Pat

Frequent Contributor
whiteoakBR

No - it really was them - the original caller had all my info and then I called the Customer Service number and talked to a couple of people.  Thank you for your concern.

I didn't realize till I didn't have a credit card how much I depend on it from day to day (not really a good thing even though I am not in debt).  My main problem is that my Barnes and Noble account is so tied to a credit card that without one I am dead in the water - no new books (not a big problem for a couple of days) and no downloading of already purchased material to the Nook for PC app or my phone or even my Nook HD+ (this just re-inforces the fact that we don't actually own anything we paid for).

I have never complained loudly about the cost of ebooks being the same as hardcovers but the fact that we don't actually own the books makes me realize that maybe the cost of "using" ebooks should reflect the fact that we don't have ownership just reader rights.  Maybe we should not have to pay as much as we do for partial rights to the ebooks.

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just so you know, pricing and privileges for eBooks is in the hands of the publishers.  They set the rules that all eTailers have to abide by.

Aloha,

Dave

Frequent Contributor
whiteoakBR
0 Kudos

I do know that - I have been on these boards since the Christmas right after the Nook Color came out.  And I fully understand the reason that prices are what they are.

This week being credit cardless because someone tried to steal from me is making me a bit cranky.  Add to the insult that B&N has decided that credit cards are an easy way to ensure DRM so I can't download anything that was paid for before but not downloaded and my cranky gets larger. 

I do think that maybe B&N could use some other number that is associated with our accounts (you can't tell me that there isn't a customer number in their databases that is unique for each of us - I work with Access to some extent) instead of a credit card.  I am not the only one that has problems with credit cards being necessary (again this is all through the boards). 

Have a great day. Beth

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

whiteoakBR wrote: 

I do think that maybe B&N could use some other number that is associated with our accounts (you can't tell me that there isn't a customer number in their databases that is unique for each of us - I work with Access to some extent) instead of a credit card.  I am not the only one that has problems with credit cards being necessary (again this is all through the boards). 

This would make NOOKBooks account specific, then, meaning that you couldn't put the book on your Mother's NOOK, use your credit card number to unlock it, and share the book that way.

I understand that the system doesn't work for many - but what you're suggesting is exactly how every.body.but.B&N does it.  If B&N's system doesn't work for you, Kobo, Sony, Amazon, Google, et al. will.  I would never shop with B&N if they chose to follow everyone else rather than keep their (slightly) less restrictive DRM scheme.  I wouldn't need to.  There would be exactly zero benefit.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

whiteoakBR wrote:

I do know that - I have been on these boards since the Christmas right after the Nook Color came out.  And I fully understand the reason that prices are what they are.

This week being credit cardless because someone tried to steal from me is making me a bit cranky.  Add to the insult that B&N has decided that credit cards are an easy way to ensure DRM so I can't download anything that was paid for before but not downloaded and my cranky gets larger. 

Have a great day. Beth

The problem is that any other number, other than your SS number, you might be willing to share, thereby defeating DRM.

The number used needs to be something that a user isn't willing to share publicly.

Correspondent
Byteguy

This is a bit of "damned if you do / damned if you don't" situation on locks.  They have to pick SOMETHING that also protects the files.  Just some assigned ID you're able to share easily won't be accepted by publishers.

iTunes and Amazon tie their locks to the actual device.  That's ok until you try to have too many devices assigned to an account.

B&N uses a card that they assume you're not going to give to all your friends so you can have as many devices as you want but you have issues when you change your card.  Most of the time it doesn't matter since the device keeps keys for all previous cc numbers (it's not limited to just one, which is nice) but a quick archive and re-download will regenerate the book and get you on your way.

The bigger problem is that gap while a card is changing.  I just moved and updated all my mailing addresses.  The insane part was I had two cards with Chase. They have ONE place to edit that data for all accounts (makes sense) but they decided to switch one card instantly and completely lock the other card and SEND ME A LETTER asking if I really wanted to switch the other.

I continue to believe that the best thing is to have at least TWO cards from two DIFFERENT companies (harder to do now that everyone is consolidating) so I always have one I know is operating that minute.

Good luck.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:57 members 561 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: