Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

Desktop eReader not opening books

[ Edited ]

I've been reading a book on my Nook, but now my Nook is being replaced for cracked forward button. So, I want to continue reading my book with the desktop eReader application for my PC. I have it installed on my work PC and it works fine, I read with no problem at lunch today. However, when I got home and tried to open the same book on my personal PC, it doesn't even look like it's trying to open.

The only difference is that my work laptop is running Windows Vista and my home is running Windows 7. Is there an issue with that?

-- Jonna

When the Power of Love becomes stronger than the Love of Power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix
Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Re: Desktop eReader not opening books

I run the ereader on Win7 64bit with no trouble at all.  Have you tried uninstalling it and then doing a reinstall?

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem with one book only on my Win 7 32-bit. Others open just fine on my desktop ereader and the problem book opens fine on my nook. I have not tried it on my Win XP machine yet. I know this doesn't help you any but at least you know you are not alone.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Contributor
ctsoxfan
0 Kudos

I've got this same issue with one book. It's fine on the nook, yet it won't open on the computer. the bar to download the book won't even move.  I am on Windows XP and I have unistalled the original and re installed. Nothing-it won't work.

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

Ed_Mart: Thank you, yes I tried an un/reinstall with no avail. JohnP51: Sounds exactly like my issue. Problem book opens fine on Nook & at work, just not on my Win7 32-bit. But I can open other books, so it's not like the Desktop eReader itself is totally hosed. ctsoxfan: So weird, I guess it's not just relative to Windows 7 then! Ok.. guess I'll keep this out here and hope B&N Developers see it.
-- Jonna

When the Power of Love becomes stronger than the Love of Power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix
Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

What books are each of you having this problem with, who published it and what is the format?  Don't know if the info will help but it may provide a clue.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

My problem book is this one:

The Burning Land (Saxon Tales #5)

It works beautifully on my nook.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
New User
mariam76
0 Kudos

Same problem here - I've been reading the girl with the dragon tattoo on my nook just fine, when i try to open the book on my ereader software for my xp machine, it won't open.  Then i tried opening another book i've already finished that was in my library and now that won't open either. The dictionary is the only book opening now.

New User
tylersangel
0 Kudos

I am having the same issue.  I can read in my nook but it will not open in the eReader.  I have uninstalled the eReader and reinstalled and still nothing.  If I click on read and just don't touch anything, after about 10 minutes I get a microsoft problem alert window that states Barnes & Noble Desktop Reader has encountered a problems and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

My problem book is "Under The Dome" which i suppose is in ePub format, not sure though.

-- Jonna

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart

[ Edited ]

Well, there goes any idea of a comonality.

Have any of you tried to copy the book file from the nook onto your computer and add it to "My Stuff" in the B&N ereader.  See if that file works or has the same problem on the computer.

I had a problem with a book that would not go past a certain page on the nook but worked fine on the computer.  I deleted the book from the B&N library on the nook and sideloaded the computer copy to My Documents on the nook where it worked fine.  Problem was a bad file sent to the nook (it seems that the nook and the computer get their files from different servers).  Maybe it will work in reverse for you.

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

Ed_Mart: I don't have my nook right now to copy it from (I sent it in for replacement), however I did re-download the book again and tried, with no luck. 

However, you mention a great idea that i'll try when I get home - I'll try moving a freshly downloaded copy to "My Stuff" and see what happens.

Thanks for the idea!

-- Jonna

Contributor
Ende
0 Kudos

I also have been having this problem for two days. fine on the nook, no luck on the PC. I cleared the cache on the browser and uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted and redownloaded, can't open anything.

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

YAY! RESOLVED!

Ed_Mart... I copy the book to "My Stuff", it worked! Thank you! Not sure why but it did and now I'm reading happily on my home laptop!

-- Jonna

Contributor
jsatter
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm having the same problem - cannot open about 1/3 of my ebooks on the eReader using PC win XP.  Books open on nook or iPhone.  Have uninstalled and reinstalled PC reader x3.  Spent 40min on phone with B&N support who suggested going to online account, moving problem books to archive, then re-adding them to e-library.  Interesting idea but didn't work and we tried it twice.  I am able to manually download the .pdb files from the website to my hard drive so the files are there but they just won't open with PC reader.  We noticed that all of my book files that DO open are named with this format:

nameofbook_9781429959810.pdb (the 13 digit number is the ISBN number for the book-which makes sense).

The books that do NOT open are named other ways like:

Robe_The_Shadow_Rising_Whe  (first 4 letters are authors first name, then name of book, last 3 are from the series title)

or like this where what I assume is the ISBN number comes first

2940000776360_Marc_Swann_s_.pdb

The B&N rep thought it might be some sort of software bug with the PC reader but wasn't sure.  She suggested I wait for a software update and just read on my nook (which I left on a plane recently - stupid me).  I'm wondering if other folks might have noticed something similar re problematic book files.  I'm hoping a developer or B&N support will get on this asap.  It's a drag to buy a book then not be able to access it as promised.

thanks!

Contributor
jsatter
0 Kudos

Update - I think I found a way to use the my stuff fix even without access to my nook.  I went online to my BN account and manually downloaded the books (with the nonconvential file names).  I saved them to my hard drive under folder "My BN eBooks" and subfolder named with my email address (this was auto created when I installed the eReader).  I then opened the PC eReader and went to "my stuff" and clicked on "add new item."  I specified the problem books and added them.  Now they open with no problem.  Very strange and shouldn't have to do this but problem solved for now.  Too bad it took an entire Saturday morning and B&N tech support couldn't solve it on the phone.  Oh well. 

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

jsatter wrote:

Hi All,

I'm having the same problem - cannot open about 1/3 of my ebooks on the eReader using PC win XP.  Books open on nook or iPhone.  Have uninstalled and reinstalled PC reader x3.  Spent 40min on phone with B&N support who suggested going to online account, moving problem books to archive, then re-adding them to e-library.  Interesting idea but didn't work and we tried it twice.  I am able to manually download the .pdb files from the website to my hard drive so the files are there but they just won't open with PC reader.  We noticed that all of my book files that DO open are named with this format:

nameofbook_9781429959810.pdb (the 13 digit number is the ISBN number for the book-which makes sense).

The books that do NOT open are named other ways like:

Robe_The_Shadow_Rising_Whe  (first 4 letters are authors first name, then name of book, last 3 are from the series title)

or like this where what I assume is the ISBN number comes first

2940000776360_Marc_Swann_s_.pdb

The B&N rep thought it might be some sort of software bug with the PC reader but wasn't sure.  She suggested I wait for a software update and just read on my nook (which I left on a plane recently - stupid me).  I'm wondering if other folks might have noticed something similar re problematic book files.  I'm hoping a developer or B&N support will get on this asap.  It's a drag to buy a book then not be able to access it as promised.

thanks!

Those books with the "nameofbook_isbn.***" are those books normally used by the PC ereader and the reader program on Blackberrys, they can be pdbs or epubs - on the Blackberry they are only pdbs.  Books with the second naming convention you list above are books usually used by the nook.  I have yet to run across the last one but I suspect it is used for the iphone and ipod touch.

Have you checked your firewall to make sure it is allowing the B&N ereader program access to the internet?  Sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest to find.

New User
meeeCW
0 Kudos

Gawd this is the VERY last time I ever do any online business with Barnes and Noble.  Their eBook reader has been the most frustrating experience ever.  I am never purchasing an ebook for my PC ever again. I will just wait for the pdf to come out on peer to peer. I don't mind the expense of purchase, but the glitches with their software are entirely too time consuming and frustrating!!!  Their board is full of bugs too, never seen such a glitchy board before! :-(

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

jsatter, i noticed after you mentioned it that my problem book was one named like "Steph_Under_The_Dome" instead of ISBN.

I didn't rename my book, i just moved it to "My Stuff" in the eReader and it worked!

Hate that you left your nook on a plane (Why did I just say that int he whole NOOK ON A PLANE!! voice) LOL

Anyway, this is a decent work around until the eReader gets fixed!

-- Jonna

Contributor
jsatter
0 Kudos

thanks. Checked the firewall and that doesn't seem to be it.  The work around solution is ok for now.

Thnx Joanne - no lost NOOKS ON PLANES!  :-)

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 77 members 434 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: