Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Re: Desktop eReader not opening books

I also have just one book which will not download to the BN PC eReader.  It downloaded to my nook no problem.  It's in epub format.  For now adding it to "my stuff" will have to do, but any word on an actual fix?

Reader 2
Sbzitz
0 Kudos

Hello, 

I am just going to pile on to this thread with a 'me too'. I am running the ereader software in windows vista 32bit. I click read now and nothing happens for a minute and then I get the following error message:

Please verify the email address and password again. (Download 1002)

I hit the refresh button and everything appears to be good as far as authentication. Things I have tried:

• Running the software as administrator
  • reinstalling the application
I was really looking forward to being able to read my books on the laptop when I can't bring the nook along.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

lkmiller wrote:

I also have just one book which will not download to the BN PC eReader.  It downloaded to my nook no problem.  It's in epub format.  For now adding it to "my stuff" will have to do, but any word on an actual fix?

I've discovered another book I can't open.  This one is actually downloaded, but won't open.  It shows the download button instead of "remove local copy."  However, the file is in the folder where the ebooks are stored.  It is also in the epub format.  I'm running Windows Vista 64-bit.

am-
Reader 4
am-
0 Kudos

I'm going to have to try what you're suggesting here.  I've had the same problem with about 5 or 6 books that won't open on the NooK.  Talk about frustrating.  Especially when you're no where near a pc. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

I've had 3 books so far not open on my desktop eReader (but it opens on the Nook).

The answer does seems to be to copy the book over to the "My Stuff" folder and it will open. Not a long term solution, but at least for now it's a workaround.

-- Jonna

When the Power of Love becomes stronger than the Love of Power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix
Reader 2
Sbzitz
0 Kudos

if you move the book around does it keep your bookmarks syncd? I wonder if it would keep the bookmarks sync'd even if it was working as intended. 

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

I'm not sure about keeping the bookmarks sync'ed because I wasn't able to open it on the desktop reader at all.

Now, I do know that my bookmarks between desktop reader and my Nook are not synched.

-- Jonna

When the Power of Love becomes stronger than the Love of Power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix
Reader
tkcrabtree
0 Kudos

I have the same problem as everyone else in this thread, the workaround gets the book opened but is a pain compared having the software work like it is supposed to.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Please call Customer Service to help with some troubleshooting. You may call toll-free in the United States at 1-800-843-2665.

New User
NoraFL
0 Kudos

This problem seems to be rampant with the users, including me.  Books I have on the Nook work perfectly well.  The same books won't open on my laptop (WIndows7) or Netbook (XP).  I tried talking to support.  The answer was to copy the downloaded file to the eReader each time I want to read the book; an update to the software was promised also.  So, perhaps the Support Gurus can post the answer for all of us when it's discovered.  By the way, this is a recent problem, so perhaps there is a relatively recent change in the software that is creating this havoc?

All of the books open just fine either on the Nook or on the iTouch.

Thanks.  (By the way, love the Nook.)

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,004
0 Kudos

NoraFL wrote:

By the way, this is a recent problem, so perhaps there is a relatively recent change in the software that is creating this havoc?

Just speculation, but it might be B&N's changeover from PDB to EPUB that's currently going on. The new eReader software has to deal with EPUBs, which it never had to do before.

If all of your problem books are EPUBs, that would point to this as an explanation. Otherwise, not.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Both of my problem books are epubs, but I have several other epubs which open fine in eReader.  So it may be something about certain epubs.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I downloaded and installed the new version of the PC eReader 2.1.1.2 and my two epub books that I was having trouble with before downloaded and opened fine.

Now I'm having trouble with a pdb book which I had previously downloaded but hadn't opened.  It's showing a download link instead of "remove local copy".  Clicking download or read gives me an error message that it is not currently available for download.  If I look in the folder where my B&N ebooks are stored, I can see that the file is actually still there.  I don't know why the program won't just open the file that it already downloaded.

(edited for typo)

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Just wanted to follow up and say that all my ebooks have now downloaded and will open!  I think the problems I had earlier downloading a couple epub books were solved with the new version 2.1.1.2.  The problem I then had with a pdb book seemed to be related to that particular ebook.  Today the program downloaded a new file with a slightly different file name and that opened with no problem.

New User
lglsec53
0 Kudos

After reading many postings and your offered solution, finally managed to get the ereader to recognize and open books by going to my stuff in the ereader, clicking add new item and finding the ebook download. click on the ebook title and copy it to the my stuff folder. Works!!! Thanks, Ed-Mart!!
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 662 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: